Need advice on Turbocharger size

D

Darrens89Z

I am wanting to purchase a new turbocharger since mine needs a rebuild.Its a totaly stock motor but its not in a regal.I have a 700r4 in the car and a vigilate converter,which stalled about 3000 on a previous smallblock.I am looking at the TA49,but also am looking at the TA51 and TA52.I dont want to go to big as I want streeetability first .I have blue tops and a GSS340m already,and a adjustable regulater.What are the charateristics of each and what stall is needed for each.I hear alot the TA49 is a really goo street blower but how much bigger is a TA51 or 52?What are their et capability?I dont want to run really high boost on the street to make the turbo shine.Thanks for any info I can be given.:)

Go with either the 44 or the 49 if you want streetability. The 51 has issues. The 52 will go 10s, but you will have to turn up the boost. The 52 may work with the 3000 stall converter, you may want to see if others with that turbo respond.

My answer to everything is ALKY INJECTION!!!

The TE44 or TA49 turbo will work the best with your combo (blue tops and a 3000 stall converter). Both turbos have NO downsides for an 11 second car (best street/strip turbos IMO) and will spool like mad!!! The TA51 and TA52 aren't much bigger than the 44/49 and they only make about 20 more horsepower which IMO isn't enough to justify buying one cause they won't spool up like the 44/49 turbos, so for streetability and performance you can't go wrong with the good old TE44/TA49 turbos:)

If you need to get a larger turbo anyway get either a TE-44 or PTE-52. These will both work great with a 3000 stall convertor and with a 100% stock GN drivetrain put you easily in the high 11's with proper tuning.

BTW- your blue tops ain't gonna cut it. Get either 009's (42.5lb/hr) or 50lb MSD injectors.

GNX7

If you already have the bluetops (looks like you do) I would go with the 44or 49. Either one makes a great combo with the bluetops. Both of those turbo will actually go a little further than what the bluetops are capable of. You should really have alot of fun with either of these turbo's and a 3000 stall convertor.

another vote to definatly stick with a ta-49 or a te-44 ...what ever you do dont get the 51...it wont make any more power than a 49 when run below 20 # and have slower spoolup.

i have run both and wish i hadent sold my 49.

Thanks for the replys

I was leaning towards the TA49 but now Im set.I want to use what I already have which is the bluetops.Redshotair,i see your car ran very fast with a TA49,what kind of boost level?That is huming at 121.:eek: Now what are the diferences between the diferent vendors?Why would I want to or not to get one with a PTE exhaust housing?I am now tring to start a GP in the GP forum for turbos,but want to make the right decision the first time.Any opinions please?Thanks:D

mine was from PTE and worked great ... i sold it to a guy on this board who is running it now.

i have some head work and a big ol ford powerstroke i/c to help out with that mph but didnt have any traction to make the et's match up.

oh yea and the 204-214 cam..:D

only thing i find wrong with PTE's housing is the threads like to mess up in them but if you get studs for your d/p you wont ever have to worry about that.

oh yea that pass was on race fuel 22# of boost and 26 degrees of timing (J Lubrant) race chip.

i was running stock torque converters with it too and it would blow the tires off very easily.