You can type here any text you want

Need Cam Advice

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

blownnova2

I am rebuilding my 87 GN motor. I am using the stock block w/girdle & center/front mains, TA Alum. heads, stroker crank w/stock length H-beam rods, Ross forged pistons, Hooker headers, Terry Houston down pipe & will upgrade the turbo. Built 2004r trans and stock 3.42 gears. The car is 90% street driven on 91-93 pump gas and occasionally raced. What cam recommendations do you have? :confused: Has anyone had any experience with Full Throttles XR series cam? I know it's hard to make a recommendation without more info but any advice would be greatly appreciated. :D

I will let other more advanced engine builders give some input on the cam specs that would work well for you. BUt.... I will say without any doubt to lose the Hooker headers. You will take about a day and half to spool that turbo with that contraption on your car. Hookers only work on really fast cars. Low, low 10 or 9 second cars. There is way too much piping to build adequate back pressure to spool quickly. I bought my GN with those headers and it felt like I added 50HP when I replaced them with TA headers. Look for some stock manifolds first then go aftermarket if you cant find any.

I like my 210/215 roller. Idles nice, good mileage and power into the 6000 rpm range. jmo.:)

just a side not but when i first started my car with this cam the exhaust tone at idle was and still is awesome.

I said the same thing about mine. Do you have any times with your combo yet? It looks as if our cars are pretty similar.

I said the same thing about mine. Do you have any times with your combo yet? It looks as if our cars are pretty similar.

no not yet still ironing out some kinks and added some more stuff. Im due to go overseas from feb-aug, im hoping to get it to the track some time after i get back in not it wont be till 2011. I would like to get some slicks or dot slicks before i go though

I also have the 210/215 roller and I love it!

You will need at least a 3000 stall converter and if you get a decent Turbo mid to low 11's will not be a problem with a good tune and traction.

I just ran my car for the first time with this cam a few months back, I had some problems that I think I have ironed out now but on a weak launch and 18psi of boost the car ran 12.0 @115

With the correct combo this cam will take you well into the low 10's or faster:biggrin:

cam?

I seem to remember a GMHTP article from a few yrs back that mentioned Red using a 206/206 roller in Jane's car. Don't need much cam in these cars to make them go like "Stink"!

Back