need help on launching!

6-b-kwik

getting back in it
ok i got a 87 gn wit 37,000 miles on it all hooked up i have to fill out my sig! okay heres a quick breakdown stage 3 turbo te 61 bluetop injectors atr3 inch downpipe no cats flowmaster exhaust right side air bag traction bars posi rear end trans cooler reds 93 chip a wa 82 adjustable wastegate boost control,i cant member the rest but anyways the guy i got it off of said it goes 12's now i belive him cause this thing pulles,also i got 16inch black trans am wheels wit brand new 245/50/16 kumho tires so i get good traction,now when i race from a red light i build no boost and it gets tough to win no people told me to mash the brake pedal and spool it now i tried it and can get only 4pds before tire spin....also im running 19pds boost on 93 pump gas,now my buddy said i need a torque convertor to wake it up and also go 11's,can someone explain to me how to drive a turbo regal and give me practice tips thxs in advance! i just got the car im only 19 i saved for it for 4 years and it is show quality! or also what mods can i to to improve speed ! also i plan to keep all racing at track just the ocasoinal mustang whooping on street! also would it be a good idea to buy a set of drag radials

One quick thing I learned to do was buy two sets of cheap rear brake shoes.

Put the long padded shoes from each set on the car. It will help you hold a bit more boost on the line and make sure they break in well and are adjusted slightly tighter for track use.

Others mod. the rear brake cylinders to larger ones to hold more boost. Line locks as well.

Do you have a scantool or knock guage to make sure you are not knocking to much?

19 psi of boost is a lot of boost for 93 octane. A scan tool or at very minimum, a knock gage is a must.

If the tires spin at 4 psi you need more brakes and more traction. Put 20 psi in the right rear airbag and see if that allows a higher boost launch. A TE 61 will probably need to leave with more than 4 psi to spool properly. On the street, from a roll spooling should be no problem, but if you actually try to run 12's or 11's with your combination, it will become a problem.

Wheelspin is a funny thing. It will allow the turbo to spool faster, so a big turbo won't feel as laggy on the street. If you get tires that actually hook (like slicks, ET streets or drag radials) you will probably need a looser converter (around 3000 stall) to make the turbo spool.

Bluetops will be fine up to around 22-23 psi of boost with race gas and a race chip, but when you get fast and really turnup the boost, they may be a little small for a TE61.

i just found out that there is larger brake cylinders in the rear,i have no scantool or knock guage! i need one,i dont even no what is all really done to the car i asked shawn (boostjunkie) the guy in pittsburgh who worked on the car im still tryin to remember whats all done but he said it will go 12's..also u are right from a roll wit the bigger turbo no problem spoolin i get it to about 7 to 10pds the they let loose..but as i read somewere a turbo regal wont reach it full potential without leaving the line on boost..now if i get a torque converter will i be able to hold more boost and some et street radial! also how can i tell when i am going into detonation without a sensor! thxs greg

Originally posted by 6-b-kwik
...also how can i tell when i am going into detonation without a sensor! thxs greg

Sometimes you know when you feel a bump under the back tire and its your crank you just drove over.

go for the scanmaster rather than just a knock gauge its VERY easy to use also :)It shows the Knock count and can recall it also.

87gnNV, Do you happen to know a guy who sold his GN last September because of the GN stealing going on there in Las Vegas? I bought my GN from him. Can't remember his name.

no i do not know any one that sold a gn at that time, i heard about all the gn stealing going on around here. Im scared that they will steal mine though. :(

He siad they were following people home, stealing the cars, ripping out the engines, and putting them in dune buggies.