Need help with C-com 1.3 and XP

turbodave231

I am new to c-com and I am trying to use C-com version 1.3 with a laptop running XP. I can't seem to communicate with the ECU. The troubleshooting guide says to check/change comm ports, but I don't see anything in the program that allows you to change com ports.

This same computer works with BS3 and the old DFI. BS3 program has provisions in software to configure the ports.

I tried running the program form the DOS C:/ prompt....no communication.

What do I need to run C-com and communicate? Obviously I'm missing something.....not sure what.

why not use c-com wp?
Does your laptop have a serial port? or are you using usb?

It won't work on an XP machine. Not only is that a very dated version of the DOS software, even the latest version of the DOS software ever released won't work on an XP system. You need to get the Windows version.

You need to install a dual boot operating system win xp and win 98 and boot from dos it will work then.............1.40 was the lastest dos version, before the windows version came out.

I'm using a laptop with a serial port.....those are getting hard to find too!

I kinda thought that XP might have been the problem. I found one wire in the serial cable pulled loose from the terminal, fixed that but still no talk.

I had my old hard drive dual booted with Win95 that I used with DFI software. Since I moved to Bigstuff, I've had no communication problems.

The Fast isn't for my car....tuning on a friend's car. How much is the Windows version?

Will the old DOS program run on an NT or 2000 machine? My work laptop runs 2000.

turbodave231 said:
I'm using a laptop with a serial port.....those are getting hard to find too!

I kinda thought that XP might have been the problem. I found one wire in the serial cable pulled loose from the terminal, fixed that but still no talk.

I had my old hard drive dual booted with Win95 that I used with DFI software. Since I moved to Bigstuff, I've had no communication problems.

The Fast isn't for my car....tuning on a friend's car. How much is the Windows version?

Will the old DOS program run on an NT or 2000 machine? My work laptop runs 2000.
Call Cal, he most likely has a copy he can send you 321-863-2303

If you're at all interested, here is the reason that the DOS version of C-Com won't work under Windows NT/2000/XP.

Windows NT/2000/XP have what is called a HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer). What this does it keeps software (drivers, programs, etc.) from getting a direct hook on the hardware. While this is a nuisance when trying to run DOS software on one of these OSes, what it does it maintain greater system stability. If a program that is using a piece of hardware (like the video card) crashes on Windows 98, it usually makes the whole system unstable. If the same program crashes on Windows NT/2000/XP, it's not going to make the whole systems unstable as the HAL was in between the program and the hardware to keep it from taking the whole system down.

What happens when you try to run the DOS version of the software, it's trying to get a hook on the serial port, but the HAL is preventing it from doing so. Since it can't get access to the hardware, it won't communicate with the ECU.

Wasn't HAL some super computer that tried to take over and kill people, in some movie?