Need Hood Shocks

Tooch36

I need a set of hood shocks for my Grand National. The ones that are on it work but you have to hold the hood up for a minute and then let go real easy for it to stay up.

Is there a way to adjust the pressure in them or just replace them.

If I have to replace them, can you tell me the best place to get em.

Thanks

I got mine at Advance Auto. Good price and they had them in stock. Took less than 30 minutes to install them.

One hint! Don't go with used ones. If they come off a car the same age as yours they will probably be in the same conditiion as yours. (Ask me why I know.)

Race Lutz

Hood lift supports

Buy just ONE new support. Use the stiffest of the two old ones. This will hold the hood up but still allow you to close it w/o bending the hood. HTH. Got mine from Advance.

Do not know if they are still available at the dealer but years back, i got a set from Buick and it was cheaper than the discount box stores.

BOLTS? - I need one bolt for the gas lifts. Any idea on where to find OEM style bolts? The one for the gas lift on the hood is nothing like a standard replacement - hardware store type bolt. - Dealer?

Thanks

TURBOTWIN2 said:
Buy just ONE new support. Use the stiffest of the two old ones. This will hold the hood up but still allow you to close it w/o bending the hood. HTH. Got mine from Advance.

Bending the hood....?? You guys up north.... must have weaker hoods from the salt......maybe rusted some.....or hinges rusted and not functioning freely? I put two new ones on mine.... and they work fine........ but mine is a MS car.....

That would really #$%@#$ me off if I installed new shocks and the first time I closed the hood.... it bent :mad: .

Still available from GM. Part number 1259327.

I use nothing but OEM on my cars when I can and I have installed many of these GM struts on the various Regals(and Rivs and LeSabres) over the years and have not had a problem.

I did buy a 83 Regal a couple of years back that difinetly had some brand X struts on it. STIFF as can be! Ruined a decent turbo hood because of it. I'll never skimp on the hood struts because of that car FWIW.

turbofish38 said:
Still available from GM. Part number 1259327.

I use nothing but OEM on my cars when I can and I have installed many of these GM struts on the various Regals(and Rivs and LeSabres) over the years and have not had a problem.

I did buy a 83 Regal a couple of years back that difinetly had some brand X struts on it. STIFF as can be! Ruined a decent turbo hood because of it. I'll never skimp on the hood struts because of that car FWIW.

Those supports generally come in different levels of "stiffness" rated in pounds. If you get the proper ones from NAPA or wherever they work fine, if you get them too stiff they can bend your hood because they don't want to compress. Moral of the story...if you go to the parts store know what you need. Or just go to a GM dealer and let them sell you the right ones