Need some help ASAP!!

87gninpa

Hey guys, just had to have the Regal towed home. Sitting at an intersection the idle started jumping then as soon as i pulled through the light it died. The car would start and run for a second the die again (just like a fuel pump resistor, but it is not that. I replaced it last year and even tried jumping it and same thing)

Got it home and tried to start it and guess what, it ran! It runs fairly rough and when I rev it over 3k rpm it dies. I did unplug the MAF while it was running and it ran worse, so I assume its not that. Could it be the ignition module or coils? Any help is appreciated, must have her running again by tomorrow for work!!! TIA

Sounds like the issue we've had here with the Toronado. Car stumbled and died and wouldn't refire. After getting it towed home it would start, run really rough, then die again.

First time it happened it was a clogged fuel filter. No codes thrown. The tow home managed to shake the clog partially loose which allowed some of the fuel to pass through the filter again resulting in starting stumbling and dieing.

Second time was a blown fuel pump relay. No codes thrown. Car started and ran fine then would just randomly die. The power to the pump was randomly getting cut off.

This time the pump isn't even priming so we figure a blown fuel pump. No codes thrown.

I'd recommend checking things in the same order since that starts with the cheapest stuff first.

Great, thanks for the suggestions. The fuel filter only has about 10k on it, but i may as well just swap it anyways. Ill check the relay as well.

To update, the car was just running for about 10 minutes at idle, i revved it up and it still ran. about a minute later it sputtered and died. It will do that then no start again for about 15-20 minutes.

Would I still have good pressure at the rail with a clogged filter, or even a bad relay? Could it be the crank sensor?

Put the original coils back on started it up, and it ran great for a half hour or so just idling. Revved it up a bunch of times and still great. Turned the AC on and within 30 seconds or so it died. I had the AC on when it died this morning. Could it be related?

Check your battery cables and grounds. I think I remember there being a ground up front near the battery, as well. It's been a few years. I had a stumbling issue with mine once, and ceaning up the grounds resolved it. My mom had a Toronada that intermittently dies, and it required cleaning up the contact on the battery. May not be your problem, but simple easy and free to do. Good luck.

Just to let you guys know or if anyone else is having the same problem, it was the MAF. Did the old tap test and sure enough it died. Unplugged it and the car ran. Plugged itb ack in with the car running and it dies right away. Got one from the dealer, $268, thats nuts!!! Glad its fixed though.

most of the time some maf sensor cleaner (CRC) on the actual sensor and or cleaning any green corrosion inside the connector for the maf will get it going again , in any case dont chuck the old maf worst case it can have the mast hacked off and be used as a blockoff plate for running a 6 liter maf :biggrin:

Yea, I held on to it. Figured if I ever get stuck again I can clean it and use it temporarily.