Need To Know The Name Of This Part (Pic Inside)

thepremier

Looked under the car yesterday, and I noticed that this particular part had basically snapped off of the rear end. I'm not sure what the name of this particular part is at this point. I would appreciate it a great deal if somebody could help me with naming this part.

Thank You

Attachments

• IMG_0949.jpg
    IMG_0949.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_0950.jpg
    IMG_0950.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 393
That there is your upper control arm:eek::eek: Is that bolt tight? Looks like it was making noise for a while. Lots of vendors on here sell tubular upper and lower arms. start searching and do not drive it. Whats the red wire for? Hot wire kit? Might want to reroute that.

The pedal under your right foot:biggrin:. Looks like it was loose. Hopefully the bushing in the housing is ok. Check GBODYPARTS,com or hrpartsnstuff. I would replace the upper and lowers while you are there.There are lots of choices for rear arms. I went with the UMI upper and lower non adjustable. tubular uppers and boxed lowers.Is that your car in the avatar. 20 or 22 inch rims? that might have helped contribute to the failure. Not knocking the rims but that is alot of rim to get spinning.

Move that wire away from the exhaust. if thats a hot wire kit or any battery wire you dont want that melting on the exhaust.

This happened early last week, haven't really drove the car too much since then, but I got a chance to look under the car and this is what I found!! I was like holy s**t!!!

I am actually ordering some UMI Upper Control Arm & Lower Control Arm Tubulars from UMI's website right now, so I can take care of this issue asap!

How hard is the install? The lowers seem pretty easy since everything is in the open. How hard is the install for the upper control arms?

Yes that is my GN in the avatar. The wheels are 20" Foose Nitrous, I would NEVER go any bigger then 20" and I was unsure even on the 20" wheels, but just decided to go ahead with the 20's. It sits really nice though.

Here are a couple of pics

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0126.jpg
    IMG_0126.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0127.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 380
The control arms are not that difficult to replace, just do them one at a time. You may have to do a little prying to get them to line up but its usually not that bad. Did you buy the bolt kit from UMI also? I would recommend replacing the bolts while you are at it. The bolts are 23+ years old also and have had a lot of stress put on them over the years and for $20 its good insurance.

Hi,
Wow,I never saw one let loose like that before. Serious torque snap, for sure. The guys before are leading you on the right path. I would change the bushings in the axle while you are at it.

i wonder if maybe soemone was trying to do a burnout and got some pretty severe wheelhop from those big heavy rims and low profile tires..

HR Parts sells the bushings & Bushing Tool thats Very Handy to have! Buy one then when finished if you want sell it for $50 & it will sell right away!

LOL!!! No I wasn't trying to do any burnouts or anything crazy, I actually don't even driver the car as a daily driver anymore. I have an old beat up truck now to drive as my daily. I know most people on the forum don't like the idea of big wheels on these cars, but I actually gotten great feedback from all age groups. People seem to really dig the car, plus it is a Grand National, so it already demands some attention out here in Phoenix, AZ. There aren't a whole lot of Grand Nationals out here in Arizona that I have seen.

I do appreciate everybody's feedback regarding the issue at hand though!

Thank You

LOL!!! No I wasn't trying to do any burnouts or anything crazy, I actually don't even driver the car as a daily driver anymore. I have an old beat up truck now to drive as my daily. I know most people on the forum don't like the idea of big wheels on these cars, but I actually gotten great feedback from all age groups. People seem to really dig the car, plus it is a Grand National, so it already demands some attention out here in Phoenix, AZ. There aren't a whole lot of Grand Nationals out here in Arizona that I have seen.

Thank You

Try living in Iowa. If I saw a Grand National and a yetti together, I'd say, "Wow, look at that sweet GN!"

It failed because it was loose for a long long time. You will see the size of the hole where the bolt passes through on the new ones. The one the broke has a huge open area where the hole was wallowed out from being run loose. There should be lock nuts on the end of the bolts.

That must have made some noise before it broke. You never checked it?:confused:

It failed because it was loose for a long long time. You will see the size of the hole where the bolt passes through on the new ones. The one the broke has a huge open area where the hole was wallowed out from being run loose. There should be lock nuts on the end of the bolts.

X2. ...not to mention all the metal filings stuck to the diff housing...been loose for a while, for sure. :eek:

Thank You

I am not a big rim guy but I let me say that those rims look good on your car.If you buy the UMI arms get the new hardware for the extra $20.good luck