New Engine Issues

Tonyrodz

Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2004
Just had my motor rebuilt in my 87 GN. The mods were all early 90's era. It had an aftermarket cam that was replaced with a stock spec cam. It now has a bigger turbo(44c) red stripe injectors, 3 inch down pipe, ATR headers, custom chip(unknown specs). Are the injectors too big for this combo now? I've only driven it around the block and it ran like crap, set a check engine light, then it completely died, due to a loose battery connection, so i don't think he was able to get a code for the light. Granted the car sat for about 12 years and the gas is that old. Would this existing combo work for me? I just want to drive this beast! What would i need to do to make it run right? Car only has 47,000 miles on it.
Thx for any help.
 
First thing you need to do is get that old gas out of there FAST and run some fresh gas through it. The whole fuel system is probably really dirty. Change the fuel filter, make sure injectors arent gummed up, check all fuel lines and regulator. Once you are sure your whole fuel system is clean and operable see what the car does and give us some scanmaster/powerlogger numbers. Is the chip burned for the injectors?
 
hello; I don't know much about your set up but any thing sitting will cause a pain in the arse. Besides checking all the fluid levels are good, get fresh fuel and make sure the bat. is really charged. I mean putting out full volts. A good state of bat. is totally nessary for these computered cars. Then drive it and see what happens. But a car that just sits can be the death of it from the electic brake system to drivability.
Is the rebuid new and you drove it with old fuel?
have fun
IBBY
 
The rebuild is brand new. I know I have to get that gas out ASAP. Gonna try to drive it a bit with new gas.
I assume the chip is burned for those injectors because it used to run like a beast before I blew the headgaskets. I don't have a scanmaster or a power logger and I don't know if my mechanic has one either. Has a brand new battery tho, fully charged. Boost is tuned down to 14 psi down from the 25 psi it was at.
Think this setup will run ok with this cam and injectors? Will I have to get a new burned prom?
 
Tonyrodz said:
The rebuild is brand new. I know I have to get that gas out ASAP. Gonna try to drive it a bit with new gas.
I assume the chip is burned for those injectors because it used to run like a beast before I blew the headgaskets. I don't have a scanmaster or a power logger and I don't know if my mechanic has one either. Has a brand new battery tho, fully charged. Boost is tuned down to 14 psi down from the 25 psi it was at.
Think this setup will run ok with this cam and injectors? Will I have to get a new burned prom?

Bad, bad, bad. 25psi is a no go without race fuel or alky. Owning a turbo Buick without at least a scanmaster is dangerous. You need to figure out why the hg blew. Fuel system problem, ignition problem, bad injectors, bad chip, bad ecm, the possibilities are endless. You need to start from scratch and start checking things off the list, and get a scanmaster.
 
It's a brand new rebuild, torn down to nothing and rebuilt. He turned the boost down to 14 psi. The original reason I blew the headgasket was because I used regular unleaded instead of premium. All the other times I punched it with the higher boost I never had a problem, but that was the old motor and that was rectified. I'd just like to know if it would be possible to get it to run right with the current injectors or would I need to get smaller injectors. I'd really love to enjoy it this summer if I can, if not I've already been offered $13,000 for the way it sits.
 
If you were running JUST premium gas (i assume 93 octane) at 25psi...... That is one big reason why you blew the headgaskets, especially if you had nothing to monitor knock. Start with the basics as mentioned above and please put at least scanmaster in the car unless you want to rebuilt it again... SOON.... I would lower the boost also until you get everything else sorted out.
 
So you have been a member here since 2004 and you don't have a Scanmaster? Guess you missed the 10,000 posts saying get a Scanmaster to monitor knock so you don't blow the headgaskets. Take the 13k and get a new hobby.
 
The first thing I've told new Buick owners around here (If they can't afford a scan tool, they don't need a Turbo Buick !!! )
Quit worry about the damn injectors,( even tho they are dated ), if they ran fine in the old engine , they'll be fine with your new build. Worry more about a SCAN TOOL !!!! and how to use it.
 
hello; If it was me I'd park it for the winter months and get prepaired for the better weather.
good luck
IBBY
 
Nothing like getting a helping hand on the BB from fellow enthusiasts. This board and the quality of people on here sure have changed over time. Guys are criticizing me because I don't have a scan master, well sorry I never bought one when I had a chance, my mistake. Life's priorities have taken over right now so I'm not able to afford one at the moment. Sure, I've been a member for awhile but I mostly sold parts from a project car and never needed any technical help-I'm sorry I came on here asking, since I'm not as knowledgeable as most of you guys on here who are so quick to criticize me. I think I just might sell it, just to get it out of my sight, or part it out.
Thanks for the"help".
 
. All the other times I punched it with the higher boost I never had a problem, .
Thats because you didnt have a scanmaster to show the umpteen degrees of knock you were getting!!.....joking aside get that old gas out, change your fuel filter, make sure all your intercooler pipes are tight.
 
Tonyrodz,

Proper combination of parts is critical in any performance vehicle.
To take a few steps in the right direction, drop the fuel tank and empty it out. Put fresh 93 in it.
Replace Fuel filter and check fuel lines and regulator for proper operation.

As stated above, purchase a ScanMaster. Without it you will be driving blind. Once you have a ScanMaster post the data so experienced and knowledgeable people here can steer you in correct path without throwing money at your car blindly.
Consider buying a new 5.7 chip from Eric at TurboTweak.Com

93 octane is not meant to be used for 25psi of boost. You are looking at around 16 pounds on the safe side. As some have stated, lower the boost and work your way up (eventually).

If the ECM is throwing a code, retrieve the code and let us know which one it is so we can pin point your problem.

Where are you located? Maybe a nearby board member can walk you through the steps???

-David
 
Tonyrodz said:
Nothing like getting a helping hand on the BB from fellow enthusiasts. This board and the quality of people on here sure have changed over time. Guys are criticizing me because I don't have a scan master, well sorry I never bought one when I had a chance, my mistake. Life's priorities have taken over right now so I'm not able to afford one at the moment. Sure, I've been a member for awhile but I mostly sold parts from a project car and never needed any technical help-I'm sorry I came on here asking, since I'm not as knowledgeable as most of you guys on here who are so quick to criticize me. I think I just might sell it, just to get it out of my sight, or part it out.
Thanks for the"help".

Sell it if your not going to fix it, don't part the car out. These cars are an important piece of automotive history, at least consider allowing someone else to have the opportunity to but one. By parting it out your taking away another precious TR and that's just sad IMHO :(
 
Thanks to the guys who are helpful without being critical.
David, I'm in Long Branch NJ, zip is 07740.
Anyone near me? It's central NJ.
Does anyone know how much a new chip runs? Maybe in the neighborhood of? I spent all my money on the GN to get it to this point.
Thx
 
Tonyrodz said:
Thanks to the guys who are helpful without being critical.
David, I'm in Long Branch NJ, zip is 07740.
Anyone near me? It's central NJ.
Does anyone know how much a new chip runs? Maybe in the neighborhood of? I spent all my money on the GN to get it to this point.
Thx

http://www.turbotweakstore.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1000
$85.00

If you are tight on money, you can hold off on the chip, as you stated the old unknown chip with unknown specs was running good before.

Try and do the other things mentioned first.

Save up for a scanmaster and once you get it less us know the numbers.
 
It ran good before, but it used to have a different cam, it now has a stock stick so that changes how it runs now. Like I said the boost is down too from what it was before. With tuning I'd eventually like to get like it to 18-20 psi.
 
Tonyrodz said:
It ran good before, but it used to have a different cam, it now has a stock stick so that changes how it runs now. Like I said the boost is down too from what it was before. With tuning I'd eventually like to get like it to 18-20 psi.

You can hold off on the chip as of now. That will eventually have to get swapped out for your change in cam.

First thing is getting rid of the old fuel. That could be done by placing a piece of plywood underneath the tank and jacking it up. Then removing the 2 bolts on the fuel tank straps closest to the rear bumper.

Follow the link provided by another member posted above to retrieve any fault codes. A bad sensor can cause what you are describing.
 
Top