You can type here any text you want

New job..... GNX 500!!!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

justin84

done
My new job will come with some perks! I got introduced to my favorite part and the focal point of the newly acquired job.....................GNX 500

To think, I'll be maintaning this beast:biggrin: She runs great and obviously smells BRAND new with all 54 miles on her!:eek::eek:

Attachments

• 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,055
  • 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,066
  • 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,070
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,069
  • 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 1,076
Good and bad

A beautiful and historic piece of GM engineering. Too bad it can't be enjoyed on the streets like it should.

What a waste of a car. Did you read the disclaimer?
No different then going to a museum and seeing a piece of art that was donated by a wealthy owner who simply wants people to enjoy looking at it in it's original form. I don't think it's a waste at all.

Many people have donated items to the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC and none of those items are worth any money either cause it's illegal to sell them for profit by the Museum. Same with hundreds if not thousands of items at the Smithsonian and the White House for that matter.

The fact that it will NEVER be left out in the rain or stored in an environment that is not condusive to its pristine survival is unique imo and will be here long after you and I are gone for people from future generations to appreciate and admire.

The fact that it will NEVER be left out in the rain or stored in an environment that is not condusive to its pristine survival is unique imo and will be here long after you and I are gone for people from future generations to appreciate and admire.

Great point. I would love it if my future grandchildren walked past #500 one day and said, "Hey, Grandpa used to own one like this...but his was only a Grand National.":D

No different then going to a museum and seeing a piece of art that was donated by a wealthy owner who simply wants people to enjoy looking at it in it's original form. I don't think it's a waste at all.

Many people have donated items to the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC and none of those items are worth any money either cause it's illegal to sell them for profit by the Museum. Same with hundreds if not thousands of items at the Smithsonian and the White House for that matter.

i think he is referring to the part there it says "when this vechile is no longer used for those purposes, it must be scrapped/crushed"

buickbert

i think he is referring to the part there it says "when this vechile is no longer used for those purposes, it must be scrapped/crushed"

buickbert
No, re-read it again. It says when it's no longer used for "Training purposes" it must be destroyed. Meaning, it's not road worthy or eligible to be sold for profit. It can stay in a museum indefinately.

No, re-read it again. It says when it's no longer used for "Training purposes" it must be destroyed. Meaning, it's not road worthy or eligible to be sold for profit. It can stay in a museum indefinately.

Brett, you are absolutely correct. I was told I will be driving it a little bit (we got permission from GM) to possibly get it ready to be shown in car shows, such as Back To The Bricks.

What a waste of a car. Did you read the disclaimer?

GM put that on all the cars they let the GM training centers use. I remember going to a class at a training center near Ashland, KY that had a brand new 1987 GN that was wrecked by someone when it was unloaded off the truck at a dealership (truck driver, wash boy, I don't remember). Still had the plastic on the seats and carpet. It was a very repairable car, but had that sticker on it, so it's future was doomed. That's not to say it didn't slip through the cracks and end up as parts car or a race car somewhere.

That sticker is nothing a razor and a little glass cleaner can't take care of. ;)

That sticker is nothing a razor and a little glass cleaner can't take care of. ;)
LOL, I agree. A knowlegeable person that knows the right person/people could title that car. If it's got a 17 digit vin, someone can find a loop hole.

LOL, I agree. A knowlegeable person that knows the right person/people could title that car. If it's got a 17 digit vin, someone can find a loop hole.

Sadly, that is not exactly accurate. The car is not even owned by the museum. The car is on "permanent loan" and will always belong to GM. GM sees the car as having no monitary value whatsoever. There was some craziness a few years back I was told because a GM exec wanted to have it. To him the car wasn't much more than just a GNX. What he said was that number 1 was the only GNX that GM had that was worth preserving. With all that being said, there are people very high up at GM that have a sore spot for this car. The car was set to be destroyed years back because it was damaged in a warehouse. The whole left rear was cut out and replaced using sheet metal. I thought it was nuts that they did not use any repo parts, they made it from scratch! They had the volunteer mechanics do the work. They put the trunk emblem on the wrong side an a couple other things. The GNX registry knew about some of this. I am compiling some things so the registry can do something special about the car (hopefully).

How sad. You know they had/have the means to make the needed parts but will not reproduce any for current GN/GNX owners to preserve an icon. :mad:

Back