You can type here any text you want

new owner

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

drbyctywerewolf

just bought a 80 monte with turbo v-6, has a blown head gasket. Is this common an can it be prevented. I also read the 80 century has 15 more horsepower. Why is this an can I get my monte more power without compermissing driveabilty. I have no problem running high octone fuel to help knocking. it has 90,000 miles should i replace knock retarder thx guys:confused:

First.....

let me say, WELCOME PILGRIM!:cool: with that being said, what year is the v-6, it will make a big difference in what will need to be changed, besides the h/g's.Is it hot-air or intercooled? There is plenty of help here on this board and others, but we need to know the particulars. any mods, injector size, ported heads, etc. However, if you are new to the turbo cars, then you will need to do a lot of reading and searching to get yourself up to speed. there is a great deal of info on this and turbobuicks.com that will reveal the strengths and weaknesses of the v-6 and how to avoid the common problems like the h/g blowing. Or worse, joining the D.O.T.C. CLUB!(driving over the crankshaft club):eek: Again, welcome to the board and the turbo addiction!:eek::biggrin:

It's a factory car I'm assuming? If that's the case then come join us in the B4Black section. There's lots of tricks to make the early C/T system work and those of us that have them are doing just that with some serious research. You also want to visit the best website for info on your car. Take a look at BEFORE BLACK Website and Rich's site will help you a great deal.

yea its a factory 80 monte with the 231 buick in it. the car has less than 100,000 seems to start an run ok but has a blown head gasket. needs a new exhaust might as well get a better flowing one on it any suggestions

yea Charlie before black was where I learned about this forum. I was wondering why the buick centry 1980 had 15 more horsepower than my monte

I can't tell you but I'll guess that the exhaust was a little better flowing. Maybe Rich will chime in?

Back