You can type here any text you want

New RJC pan, now noise at startup.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

davidf

I recently installed RJC's deep oil pan. Now when I start it cold I get that slight rattling sound for a couple of seconds till pressure picks up. Is this due to the oil traveling further up the pickup extension? Either way, I don't like it.:frown:

rattle sound? what kind of sound? never had a problem with my deep pan on startup.

It's the little sound some cars make until the oil pump gets oil to all it bearings/components.

Weak oil pump trying to get the oil moving??

IMO the addition of a deeper oil pan will not cause it.

Now the pickup tube ext coul dnot have a good seal and be pulling a lil air in.

Any difference in Oil PSI?

Sounds like the motor my have been near wore out.
starting it with the new oil pan without priming may have
wore the bearings even further.
quite possibly to the point of a slight knock on initial startup.
If so,this is not a good thing

Car has 54k on it. It has a new OEM blueprinted cover/pump assm. from Weber. It was primed for about 2/3 minutes prior to start. I was just doing some maintanance for longevity. Cam/lifters/double roller TC/new timing cover/pump/oil pan. Once started, everything seems good. I did replace the rear main and rear crank bearing looked very good.

Well I was just informed that it's my new lifters rattling a bit. A friend was over earlier and had his head under the hood during startup. Thats a load off my shoulders. Guys, I really appreciate all the helpful input.

Not the pan per say, maybe lack of proper seal with the pickup (but I doubt that with a fresh gasket).
After new lifters (GM), mine rattles some but I live with it.

Then I fixed the problem.
Look into a pre-lube unit, it ended my rattles with pressure at 35 lbs starting. :D

Not the pan per say, maybe lack of proper seal with the pickup (but I doubt that with a fresh gasket).
After new lifters (GM), mine rattles some but I live with it.

Then I fixed the problem.
Look into a pre-lube unit, it ended my rattles with pressure at 35 lbs starting. :D
Lifters came with cam from TA perf. Not sure of brand. At least now I know my bearings are'nt starving for oil on startup.

I had the same problem when I installed the RJC pan. It might be one of two things: the spot welds came loose on the baffle or the crank is hitting the baffle. I had both problems with this pan.
Jeff

I was just doing some maintanance for longevity. Cam/lifters/double roller TC/new timing cover/pump/oil pan.

I bet if that info. was in the first post, the next six or so posts would have read differently... :confused:

K.

I had the same problem when I installed the RJC pan. It might be one of two things: the spot welds came loose on the baffle or the crank is hitting the baffle. I had both problems with this pan.
Jeff
How ironic. I had to remove the new pan "today" because the crank was barely nicking the baffle. I just pushed the corner down a tad and presto. I'm glad these pans come off easily. But this had nothing to do with startup noise, though it is funny you posted about the baffle.

Jeff Rand said:
Jeff

I had the same two things happen on my RJC oil pan...ended putting the stock pan back on.

Back