You can type here any text you want

New TE44 turbo install. Fluttering at 12 psi, why?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
It's the alky. When I turn my alky off and run like 15psi of boost or so, no surge even with a cas v4. But you could run 20+ psi with race gas or whatever and still not have part throttle surge issues. That darn alky makes the charge to dense and just plain works too well in this part of operation.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thanks Brian, I will contact you! Hope to be testing Jan-Mar.
I've got a ball bearing version of the turbo you have also. It would spool faster than you can flat foot the pedal.

I've got a ball bearing version of the turbo you have also. It would spool faster than you can flat foot the pedal.

I have no doubt it will Lol ....... always tempting me with MORE Turbo Thrills !!! :)

I am expecting I will need a different turbo setup with my new motor combo and ptc slic, I will test with what I have and go from there...
Thanks!

It's the alky. When I turn my alky off and run like 15psi of boost or so, no surge even with a cas v4. But you could run 20+ psi with race gas or whatever and still not have part throttle surge issues. That darn alky makes the charge to dense and just plain works too well in this part of operation.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Good point. Mine mainly happens with alky too. Always partial throttle just as the unit is turning on. I have learned to drive around it. Guess I will continue to do that because I love my setup.

Good point. Mine mainly happens with alky too. Always partial throttle just as the unit is turning on. I have learned to drive around it. Guess I will continue to do that because I love my setup.

What PSI do you have your Alky turning on at ? Red & Green?
Does temperature change the situation?
Single 15 nozzle ?

What PSI do you have your Alky turning on at ? Red & Green?
Does temperature change the situation?
Single 15 nozzle ?

Single 15 nozzle. Comes on around 10, goes green 12-13. I get the part throttle surge when it is on the edge of red / green.

Single 15 nozzle. Comes on around 10, goes green 12-13. I get the part throttle surge when it is on the edge of red / green.

Mine turns on a little sooner 1-2 psi no surging with stock restrictive IC. I will be going to the PTE SLIC in a few months, hope to find good solutions to this situation.
Thanks!

Mine turns on a little sooner 1-2 psi no surging with stock restrictive IC. I will be going to the PTE SLIC in a few months, hope to find good solutions to this situation.
Thanks!
Hey did you ever get to test the PTE SLIC? I think I have the same turbo as you and I'm looking at doing an intercooler hopefully in the near future and I don't want to run into this surging problem.

Hey did you ever get to test the PTE SLIC? I think I have the same turbo as you and I'm looking at doing an intercooler hopefully in the near future and I don't want to run into this surging problem.

Grab one of the newer style turbos that feature billet wheel technology & go for a ported cover (shroud) too. See the picture in my avitar.
I have one installed with a PTE SLIC & no surging issues at any throttle position that I have experienced.

Last edited:

A lot has changed with my combo since last December. I have the same turbo but have a fresh 109 with a small roller and TA SI aluminum heads and a fresh trans. I do have the PTE SLIC but I decided to start the new combo out with the stock IC and a 3 " DP before I go to the SLIC. It currently has no surging at 20 psi and spools extremely fast ! I just finished building a new shop and will be looking forward to making the switch over to the SLIC this spring.

Lil Truck, that PTE SLIC sits very low. You will probably be OK with the stock suspension but have a good look at it.

I've never had an issue with mine...

I think the 2 inch drop springs pretty much did the trick for it.

I'm a stock ride height. A 2" drop would be pushing it. I think 1" would be ok.

So is the only fix for the surge a new turbo with ported cover? The tornado worked for me until I added alky and turned up the boost. Now the surge is back with a vengeance.

I'm a stock ride height. A 2" drop would be pushing it. I think 1" would be ok.

Thanks for the heads up Reggie and Pronto, I have stock suspension but have considered 1-2 inch drop on the front..... I will certainly check everything out first !!!

So is the only fix for the surge a new turbo with ported cover? The tornado worked for me until I added alky and turned up the boost. Now the surge is back with a vengeance.

As long as it's not at wot, you don't need to worry much. Just drive around it. Sorry I don't have a better solution.

I logged the compressor surge today. I've been told by some reputable sources that the surging doesn't hurt the turbo which I believe, but It really screws up the MAF signal which affects injector duty cycle/fueling. I wonder if there's a way to have a chip programmed that could filter the erratic MAF signal during part throttle? It wouldn't cure the actual compressor surge, but it could get rid of the bucking and jerking.

Attachments

I logged the compressor surge today. I've been told by some reputable sources that the surging doesn't hurt the turbo which I believe, but It really screws up the MAF signal which affects injector duty cycle/fueling. I wonder if there's a way to have a chip programmed that could filter the erratic MAF signal during part throttle? It wouldn't cure the actual compressor surge, but it could get rid of the bucking and jerking.

Why not e-mail Eric at TT and see if he can make a chip that is like the factory one at mid throttle. That may do away with the surge. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Tornado will fix it.

Back