Next Steps

jdclark28

So I have my 87 T up and running well. I've done many of the basic upgrades - fuel system with 60 lb injectors, exhaust, gauges (boost, psi, wideband o2), cold air, scanmaster, plugs/wires, turbotweak 5.7, etc. I'm also ordering a LT1 MAF, Translator, and Powerlogger too. Powerlogger will be good to continue to learn and record some info. So, now its time to start having some fun.

After reading quite a bit, what's the next logic performance upgrade? I could do alky, but would it make sense to do a mild turbo or intercooler upgrade? End goals for this car would be in the low 12s.

I know there is alot of info on this, I've read quite a bit. Let me know your thoughts. Appreciate it.

Justin

I would assume the next logic upgrade would be alky and try a duttweiler neck for the stock intercooler and alky chip and turn up the boost. You probaly would see mid 11s on drag radials and proper tune.

I'm doing a similar build using bolt-on's. Seems like Alky gives the most bang for the buck vs. intercooler upgrades, etc. It was recommended to me to update the stock timing chain, down pipe & exhaust. Hope this helps!

Unless your turbo's got problems, leave it alone. Id say alky and if youve got extra money maybe a front mount. stock turbos top out at about 30 psi (with alky) so youve got room to play with.

NOTE: Do you have exhaust upgrades? After thinking about it if its stock thats where youll feel the most improvement. 3" downpipe, dump pipe/cat delete pipe, and a good breathing exhaust system should all be up their on your list.

Id get a TE60 for cheap, alky, and some drag radials. Send the chip back to Eric and reburn for the new combo. Don't forget about the transmission. At least a shift kit and trans cooler or it wont last long.