No boost...The title says it all

start the car with the downpipe off and block the puck hole and see if the turbo is spinning if it doesnt run without the maf.my guess is that peice of gasket that went in there a while ago may have been enough to bend the shaft a smidge

Want to look at these videos of the turbo spinning?

I'm still gearing up to swap turbos in the AM but in case anyone wanted to see

With just a little side load, it doesn't spin easily.
But maybe that's normal.
I don't know at this point.

my journal bearing turbo spins like that when cold .can you see down in the rear at the ends of the turbine wheel fins maybe they gone bye bye.

** UPDATE **

Well - I think I have reached the endgame

Here is what I did.

Disconnected DP (See picture)
Fabbed up a block off plate for the waste gate (See picture)
Spin turbo with finger - Check. Spins ok.
Start car - then check to see if turbine is spinning - NO check Fubar. (See video)
Looks like Bryan was right.
I have some sort of turbo failure.

And it REALLY binds when it is hot.
So much so - that it takes a goodly amount of effort to break it free.

I've looked behind the turbine side to see if - for any chance - there as another piece of header gasket stuck someplace.
I simply can't see anything.
I may - just as a last ditch effort - get out my inspection camera and give it a go.
But I'm not expecting any miracles.

Looks like a turbo is headed to Bison.

If anyone has a decently priced; known decent turbo to get me by - I'm all ears.
My stocker - upon further review - looks like hell.
Bent fins; chipped toofer; too much play for my liking.
Why put it on and then have frustrations?

I need a decent "get me by turbo"

Attachments

• TURBO BROKE BAD 001.JPG
    TURBO BROKE BAD 001.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 80
  • TURBO BROKE BAD 003.JPG
    TURBO BROKE BAD 003.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 74
Woo Hoo........
Do I win a prize???????

Sorry for your luck...I have crappy luck too

Bryan

Woo Hoo........
Do I win a prize???????

Sorry for your luck...I have crappy luck too

Bryan

Not really - but kind of.

It was almost pre-ordained - in that I had eliminated so many other variables.

The most logical answer turned out to be the simplest answer.

No boost - check turbo.
I chased my tail for a while checking everything else- and in that process - found more than a few things.
And you know - guys trying to help - were - check this - check that - check that - check this...
But at the end of the day - it's that rotating mass that is the culprit.
:(

I think you need a new turbo.

Another genius.

What?
You don't want me disassemble the entire exhaust system and look for a potato that perhaps a possum stuck in there?
:mad:

You sure it might not be the power antenna interfering with my turbo?
Or the windshield wiper coolant level?

2 more days - same result.
Only tonight - I'm dirtier and grungier.
And angrier!!!!!!!

You didn't mention how you liked my waste gate block off plate handiwork?
I thought it good work - if I do say so myself.
:D

Are you going to pull the turbo apart and look for debris in the turbine housing or look for replacwment

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

He seems to be very thorough with troubleshooting...I would think he would open the turbo to see if there is debris in it before sending it off for a rebuild.

Bryan

He seems to be very thorough with troubleshooting...I would think he would open the turbo to see if there is debris in it before sending it off for a rebuild.

Bryan

I thought of it Bryan.
But - I have never taken one apart - although I did stay at a Holiday Inn last week..

I looked behind the blades in the turbine side - and all looks good.
I suppose - once I get it removed from the car this week - I might look closer to see.

But Bryan - I'm not leaning in the debris school of thought area any more - since it can be free n easy - for as long as the car isn't running - I can sit under the hood all day long and spin the turbo with my finger.
Start the car - no spiny.
You would think if there was another piece of header gasket roaming around in there, it would have made itself obvious by now.
I think - It's something turbo-specific weirder.
Someone like Bison probably knows.

But - I watched youtube all of last night - and it sure doesn't seem too hard to rebuild them.
And cheap too.
Famous last words - I know
:rolleyes:

Its your gas cap.

Glad you found it bud.

TurboClam and I are friends.
Well - sorta.
He had a nice relaxing weekend - mine was hell.
He thinks it funny to make fun of me and rub it in now.

But as I told him - I will get boost again - and when I do - I will be sure to drive over to his house and leave him a nice little present to witness every time he comes home from work.
In his SUV ...:D
It will be the first trip I make - trust me.

Are you going to pull the turbo apart and look for debris in the turbine housing or look for replacwment

I want to find a "get me by turbo" for the immediate future.
That stocker that I ripped off that WH1 parts car POS has a few issues - and I'm not sure I want to try it.

But I'm not trashing my turbo.
Once I get it removed - I'll give it another exam and send it to Bison for his handiwork.

it might be just a bit of gasket in there that gets blown up into the housing when you start it and when you move it by hand its falling back out and spinning free again.heres hoping its that easy and your back cruising if not im sure bison can sort it ive been thinking of posting a turbo all the way from newzealand to get some touching by bison lol

Verify oil flow to the cartridge before putting any other turbo on there. If it's seized like that and doesn't have thrust it likely ran dry at some point. It's unlikely that a piece of debris in the exhaust caused this. It's worth tearing down the cartridge to see what the damage is since the turbine shaft is likely toast.

I hear ya.
I would be the happiest boy on the planet if it turns out to be the case.

I suppose, now that I have the DP off and a clear shot at the turbine - I'll take my long nosed air gun, set it to 120 psi, and see what - if anything - I can see.

I mean - wishful thinking - but how cool would that be if it was just that.
But..the realist in me says - don't get your hopes up kid.

Attachments

• MISC 9 017.JPG
    MISC 9 017.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 60
Verify oil flow to the cartridge before putting any other turbo on there. If it's seized like that and doesn't have thrust it likely ran dry at some point.

That thought was floating around in my head this weekend as well.

Verify how? Verify - as in - just pop the feed line off, run a hose from end of feed line -> to small catch container - and start car?
Uncientifically - without getting bogged down in lpm or such measurements - that feed line at normal oil pressure should start filling up a litre bottle with decent vigor I would think

And - if it did for some reason run dry - why?
I know - the usual suspects - oil levels (check); oil pump, - I see an oil pressure gauge in my future as well.
Does that little oil feed line ever get blocked?

Verify oil flow to the cartridge before putting any other turbo on there. If it's seized like that and doesn't have thrust it likely ran dry at some point. It's unlikely that a piece of debris in the exhaust caused this. It's worth tearing down the cartridge to see what the damage is since the turbine shaft is likely toast.

From the video - You would call that seized? Yes - me too.
But then it spins in the morning or - or - after it cools down?
o_O