octane question...

V6-Sauce

How much octane do l need for 20 pounds of boost? I'm thinking filling up with 94 pump gas and adding boostane to give me a little more octane so l can run a couple of pounds extra.
100?

Put it on a dyno and find out. Your answer isn't just in a can of octane booster, it's in your ability to tune it for 20psi. IMO get a alky kit and run that anytime you want without any additives. After the initial purchase, it's the cheapest found hp gain you can ever make with your car. $10 for a jug of alky there after is AWESOME!!

The tune, I don't really have experience to adjust that, WOT/1, 2nd gear. I know if a drop less timing I can make more boost. But doenst mean I'm making hp. I never dyno'd it. I need octane or alky my friend to run more boost. I'II usually go with the base setting and timing that's already set on the chip by turbotweak for the correct octane I'm using. And just set the fuel pressure what the chip recommends tps/iac is all set, And look at my blm's and make sure it's within 10 from 128, I like to keep mine slightly lean(134-136)supposed to be better, and look at my scanmaster. That's why I like turbotweak(everything's set perfectly). I hear what your saying about alky, I agree...Sounds like the best mod, also sounds cold.........................................................the pump and no gauge worries me alittle and I don't drive it that much. It's just octane booster is in the tank, so it's in there?now I'm using 94 with TT 5.7 chip at 17boost runs strong no knock.

What I have is down below on my sig

Last edited:
. . . I know if a drop less timing I can make more boost. But doenst mean I'm making hp. . ...
Don't take this the wrong way as I started with NA thinking and had to study charged applications:

What makes power is mass flow.
Timing doesn't have much effect on mass flow. Intake pressure increase on the other hand will always increase mass flow, regardless of temp. Power comes from controlling the combustion event for a given mass flow/temp/design/swirl/etc. which is where octane comes in.

There is no way to nail down how much is needed but as Bison stated many many years ago; When in doubt, over octane.

How that helps and good luck.

Careful on the additives. At some point, to much octane booster in a bottle will ruin your 02 sensor and dirty up spark plugs.
I never really liked it.

Sure miss the late 1960’s when you could get 102-104 octane pump gas. And good lord it was expensive 38.9 cents a gallon.

Careful on the additives. At some point, to much octane booster in a bottle will ruin your 02 sensor and dirty up spark plugs.
I never really liked it.

that's true from what I been reading about boostane, Not really a big thing to replace sparkplugs and o2 sensors now & then...from looking it up doesn't look like it damage's the engine. Does it leave residue or build up inside the engine & or does it clean inside like alky in a way?

You got the power plate & a 160* t-stat, if you added a cool air intake & changed to a front mount I/c you should be able to run 20#'s safely on 94 octane alone .. I say this based on reading where quite a few have done it with a slic & 93 octane.

that's true from what I been reading about boostane, Not really a big thing to replace sparkplugs and o2 sensors now & then...from looking it up doesn't look like it damage's the engine. Does it leave residue or build up inside the engine & or does it clean inside like alky in a way?
No it doesnt clean like alky. I ran lots of additive many years ago before the alky kits were out. It coated my 02 and spark plugs and when I had the heads off the valves were also yellowish and coated. Needless to say I ran alot of 108 additive back in the day.:whistle:

good to know, that was awhile ago, I'm trying to get at the newer octane additive. They say even torco leaves disposits down low when it sits , Problably ends up in the engine somewhere, Vp/another good one $ boostane doesn't...

Maybe I should keep it the way is now and just go to the gas station

Last edited:
You got the power plate & a 160* t-stat, if you added a cool air intake & changed to a front mount I/c you should be able to run 20#'s safely on 94 octane alone .. I say this based on reading where quite a few have done it with a slic & 93 octane.

thx, True/I like driving it in the fall... maybe the wind is better coming from the front in a frontmont, as long as the rad is working properly....looks way cheaper to buy compared to SLIC.

I have a shorty cold air, don't want my filter to get wet just in case....The thing is I don't really want to remove the front bumper & the grill etc..

Last edited:
I have an Alky kit and by all means its the best thing I ever done , After buying the car bone stock we added the kit and it alone , beside a pump , hot wire and FPR I was able to run 18 to 20 lbs safe and it was a blast with street tires on the back . NOW fast forward 2 years and you can read in my SIG all my upgrades . I'm running 28 lbs and she is a beast . But I have spent alot of $$$ getting there , but that's all the fun , Right . Keith

Don't know about that.

I have a good FMIC. I only have 91 octane available. I have limited boost to 16# for a no knock tune.

Don't know about that.

I have a good FMIC. I only have 91 octane available. I have limited boost to 16# for a no knock tune.
Well if you apply the rule of thumb of 1 for 1 octane to boost you'd be at 19#'s @ 94 octane... Ported heads might be the difference there.. I remember your avatar with a quarter on an aluminum head or something like that... Back when u were going back n forth with grumpy.