octane question...

The tune, I don't really have experience to adjust that, WOT/1, 2nd gear. I know if a drop less timing I can make more boost. But doenst mean I'm making hp. I never dyno'd it. I need octane or alky my friend to run more boost. I'II usually go with the base setting and timing that's already set on the chip by turbotweak for the correct octane I'm using. And just set the fuel pressure what the chip recommends tps/iac is all set, And look at my blm's and make sure it's within 10 from 128, I like to keep mine slightly lean(134-136)supposed to be better, and look at my scanmaster. That's why I like turbotweak(everything's set perfectly). I hear what your saying about alky, I agree...Sounds like the best mod, also sounds cold.........................................................the pump and no gauge worries me alittle and I don't drive it that much. It's just octane booster is in the tank, so it's in there?now I'm using 94 with TT 5.7 chip at 17boost runs strong no knock.

What I have is down below on my sig
I hear what your saying.if this is a street car as you drive it it's going to get heat soaked and intake charge temps are going to rise,especially when you start to put in a few more lbs of boost with a stock turbo.this is where methanol will shine and give you octane.you get to keep your stock intercooler and can even run denatured alcohol although it's 15$ a gallon from Home Depot if the car is not driven a lot.get a gauge and an alky kit run car at 22/23psi add timing in the 1/2 gears and the car will really wake up.also volt boost the intank pump.

Well if you apply the rule of thumb of 1 for 1 octane to boost you'd be at 19#'s @ 94 octane... Ported heads might be the difference there.. I remember your avatar with a quarter on an aluminum head or something like that... Back when u were going back n forth with grumpy.

Wasn't familiar with that rule of thumb. I didn't attempt to reduce the timing. I know that I'm limited due to fuel quality out of the pump & I don't burn through a tank very quickly. Just set it up to be fairly forgiving with lousy fuel.

I hear what your saying.if this is a street car as you drive it it's going to get heat soaked and intake charge temps are going to rise,especially when you start to put in a few more lbs of boost with a stock turbo.this is where methanol will shine and give you octane.you get to keep your stock intercooler and can even run denatured alcohol although it's 15$ a gallon from Home Depot if the car is not driven a lot.get a gauge and an alky kit run car at 22/23psi add timing in the 1/2 gears and the car will really wake up.also volt boost the intank pump.

Question-Methyl Hydrate 99.9% that u find at homedepot and methenol that u find from napa autoparts stores, Are all these safe to use & the same?Methenol is Methenol right doesn't matter where u buy it

Last edited:
Question-Methyl Hydrate 99.9% that u find at homedepot and methenol that u find from napa autoparts stores, Are all these safe to use & the same?Methenol is Methenol right doesn't matter where u buy it
No m1 is the purest.denatured alcohol Is Safe to use I used it for a long time before it got pricey.if you don't want t source m1 and you don't use a lot and the combo is mild its fine smells awesome when you spray on other cars too;)

How much octane do l need for 20 pounds of boost? I'm thinking filling up with 94 pump gas and adding boostane to give me a little more octane so l can run a couple of pounds extra.
100?
3 gallons of 94 with 1 gallon of xylene will make 100 octane and will allow you to do what you want. It's as expensive as 110 leaded ,but won't harm your oxygen sensor and won't coat the combustion chambers and spark plugs with the rust colored crud.

You have to run the pure methanol, the race blends have oils in them for the racecars, pure is what you need. Since ti is on demand, your methanol supply will last quite a long time. I'd only use 3 gallons a year at most if I was racing at the track a lot.

Toluene Calculation Spread Sheet.

Attachments

• Toluene calculate2005.numbers.zip
    251.1 KB · Views: 55
No m1 is the purest.denatured alcohol Is Safe to use I used it for a long time before it got pricey.if you don't want t source m1 and you don't use a lot and the combo is mild its fine smells awesome when you spray on other cars too;)

So I cant use methanol off the shelf in the store even when it say 99.9% pure methanol. I have to buy it from VP?

Last edited:
3 gallons of 94 with 1 gallon of xylene will make 100 octane and will allow you to do what you want. It's as expensive as 110 leaded ,but won't harm your oxygen sensor and won't coat the combustion chambers and spark plugs with the rust colored crud.

thx for the measurements, I see it in the paint section. Xylene & methyl hydrate 99.9% pure on the same shelf, right next to each other. So your saying boostane is not really good for the engine then

Last edited:
Toluene,xylene,benzene,and naphthalene are all aromatic hydrocarbons. I use xylene because it has the highest octane of 117.

I was wondering about Xylene. It seems to be more readily available. I did a search & read a bit on Xylene. Found a post that claimed it would attack the soft parts of the fuel system more than Toluene. Don't know how accurate that may be.

What is your mix?

I was wondering about Xylene. It seems to be more readily available. I did a search & read a bit on Xylene. Found a post that claimed it would attack the soft parts of the fuel system more than Toluene. Don't know how accurate that may be.

What is your mix?
It's done no harm to my fuel system over the years and is already in unleaded gasoline and you'll find more of it in high octane unleaded gasoline. One gallon of xylene to three gallons of 91-94. 25% xylene.

I wouldn't hesitate to use Boostane.
I've been using 5 gallons of 104 unleaded to a fill up of 93 octane. The car is running without knock with that combo. It would be cheaper & less work to put in a 32oz. bottle of Boostane per fill up if there are no adverse affects to the plugs, internals etc. Is that the general consensus of this great forum for a lightly used (2000 miles a year) car or should I keep on going to the local race track for my 104 fix?

I've read that some of the octane boosters have a lead additive. Don't know which ones & how it might effect the O2 sensor/ cat can.

I've read that some of the octane boosters have a lead additive. Don't know which ones & how it might effect the O2 sensor/ cat can.
Boostane claims no harm to O2 sensor & I don't have a cat anymore. Else any other reason to not use it?

Same with me, I took somebody's advice & hollowed it out. I welded my testpipe right through the stock cat convertor so it looks stock if u look under the car;).That's a classic. From what I understand from looking up boostane on youtube/internet it will turn the spark plugs & o2 sensors orange, weather it damages those parks not really said or known/ leaves a orange residue, Problably over time. And problably just better to just replace thoses parts now in then. But like somebody mentioned before does it leave any orange residue in the engine/ like on or around the pushrod's or piston not really known. I seen a test they made with torco& over time torco breaks up and small bits falls to the bottom like inside the engine. boostane seems to hold up/just change to a darker orange that problably ends up on the sparkplugs and o2 sensor.

Not counting/compared to the older octane addititives.. I'd like to know more about it if other people used it(boostane) because I only drive my car maybe 2000miles a year if that and it's less hassle than a meth kit from what I understand from the mataintence part of the alky injection, replacing the pump every couple of years/pressure test kit?They say it works, They say it's safe for unleaded pump gas/ classic car owner's etc. It was first designed for boat racing. It's not a sales pitch, I just like the price and less headaches. I'm not saying it's better than meth. Meth seems to be way better in more than one way.

Last edited: