octane question...

E-85 may not be the same every time you buy it. So many travel with an E-85 tester kit and check it on fill ups. After market engine management with a flex fuel sensor makes this easier. However fuel system upgrades are necessary when using E-85.
This is a great statement

I use E85 now. It's wonderful. Short of doing that,I would use whichever of these 2 options is cheaper and I would turn the boost up to 20 lbs. if you can get the octane to 100.
I run a 17 lb. chip & it is spot on (checked with boost gauge) now. To up the boost 1 lb at a time (to check for knock) can I just replace my waste gate actuator with an adjustable one & turn it up 1 turn at a time or will the chip override & run the boost at 17 lbs?

Problably a long time.

Trust me on this one. It doesn't take too long to get sick and tired of going to hardware/paint stores, carrying around fuel testers and spilling fuel and additives on yourself, waiting for boxes of additive to appear on your doorstep, going to local speed shops and racetracks to buy fuel......all just to go for a ride in your pride and joy for a few hours on a beautiful day.

Yes, my ride is overkill, in every definition of the term. But if I didn't have it set-up the way I do, I would just turn the boost down as low as it could go, maybe even hang the wastegates open, just not to go through all this bullshit.

But like I said earlier. It's all personal preference. I'm just sharing my personal logic.

I run a 17 lb. chip & it is spot on (checked with boost gauge) now. To up the boost 1 lb at a time (to check for knock) can I just replace my waste gate actuator with an adjustable one & turn it up 1 turn at a time or will the chip override & run the boost at 17 lbs?
Just adjust the actuator and the boost will go up.

Trust me on this one. It doesn't take too long to get sick and tired of going to hardware/paint stores, carrying around fuel testers and spilling fuel and additives on yourself, waiting for boxes of additive to appear on your doorstep, going to local speed shops and racetracks to buy fuel......all just to go for a ride in your pride and joy for a few hours on a beautiful day.

Yes, my ride is overkill, in every definition of the term. But if I didn't have it set-up the way I do, I would just turn the boost down as low as it could go, maybe even hang the wastegates open, just not to go through all this bullshit.

But like I said earlier. It's all personal preference. I'm just sharing my personal logic.
This is the experience that I had and alcohol injection disappointed me just as much if not more. The day that I switched to E85 was the start of a period that allowed me to have my combo set to kill all the time. Of course,the only things that get killed are my tires on the street.

This is the experience that I had and alcohol injection disappointed me just as much if not more. The day that I switched to E85 was the start of a period that allowed me to have my combo set to kill all the time. Of course,the only things that get killed are my tires on the street.
I also have 100% flex fuel capability. I have been fortunate in that my car will run a deep nines in 1000% street trim. Setting my car up for kill on the street in New York With my limited driving skills is nothing but suicidal.

Last edited:
I also have 100% flex fuel capability. I have been fortunate in that my car will run a deep nines in 1000% street trim. Setting my car up for kill on the street in New York With my limited driving skillsand is nothing but suicidal.
Sorry, wasn’t finished with the post above.

But yes, Like I mentioned earlier E-85 is great. But still it requires fuel system upgrades and a consistent, reliable source for E-85. Do you have a flex fuel sensor, or do you have to test for content every time you fill? Do you have an aftermarket engine management system?

These are things to consider when making a choice with convenience vs. desired power potential being a factor.

Last edited:
How much skill does it take to drive in a straight line?;)
Keeping it straight is only half the problem.

Stopping it, is the other half!

0 to 60 in less then 2 seconds can be a little hard for me to handle on NY public streets. :eek:

Last edited:
Keeping it straight is only half the problem.

Stopping it, is the other half!

0 to 60 in less then 2 seconds can be a little hard for me to handle on NY public streets. :eek:
I'm sure it feels like it but the quickest street legal cars can't do those numbers. I agree these cars can be scary when they break the tires loose at 30 mph & with no nannies in place it's up to the driver to not lose it.

I'm sure it feels like it but the quickest street legal cars can't do those numbers. I agree these cars can be scary when they break the tires loose at 30 mph & with no nannies in place it's up to the driver to not lose it.
What do you define as street legal?:sneaky:

What do you define as street legal?:sneaky:
Running DOT tires not racing slicks. Don't want to get into a pissing contest but the newest all wheel drive, crazy horsepower Porsche is running 3. something 0 to 60 & certainly not less than 2.xxx. I'm sure your car is crazy fast on the street but just saying under 2. anything on street legal hardware isn't realistic. Didn't mean to offend you but even the Dodge Demon which is basically a track car runs a 2.1 or 2.3 in it's most aggressive hardware 0 to 60.

Running DOT tires not racing slicks. Don't want to get into a pissing contest but the newest all wheel drive, crazy horsepower Porsche is running 3. something 0 to 60 & certainly not less than 2.xxx. I'm sure your car is crazy fast on the street but just saying under 2. anything on street legal hardware isn't realistic. Didn't mean to offend you but even the Dodge Demon which is basically a track car runs a 2.1 or 2.3 in it's most aggressive hardware 0 to 60.
I know we're getting off topic. But just for a moment let's leave all kidding aside.

My Buick, as well as many others here belonging to forum members that run single digit 1/4 mile times are capable of 0-60s in less than 2 seconds. I'm not bragging that I'm special. Because It's actually quite common! To be more specific, in the pass that I have listed in my signature below, the XFI recorded a 0-60 in 1.8 seconds. This is on a soft launch and in complete street trim (not one single thing was changed after driving it to the track) and at 116 MPH in the 1/8th. There was also a shit-load of other forum members at the track to see it that day. And many of them were also doing what I was doing.

Of course, traction on the race track makes this much easier. But that's the problem! On the street, I could easily and quickly lose control. This is why I question my skill level and the need for me to have my car set for "kill".

No factory built production car, Dodge Demon, Porsche, Ferrari, or Bugatti for that matter, got shit on a modified, deep 9 second Buick in the 0-60 department. Maybe on the street, yes. With all wheel drive, traction control and a skilled driver. But no way on the track. Then after the 1/8th we can wait around for them to catch up.

I urge you to read this thread https://turbobuick.com/threads/0-60-in-a-mid-9-second-car.437130/.
No, I beg you to.

Last edited:
I know we're getting off topic. But just for a moment let's leave all kidding aside.

My Buick, as well as many others here belonging to forum members that run single digit 1/4 mile times are capable of 0-60s in less than 2 seconds. I'm not bragging I'm special. It's actually quite common! To be more specific, in the pass I have listed in my signature below, the XFI recorded a 0-60 in 1.8 seconds. This is on a soft launch and in complete street trim (not one single thing was changed after driving it to the track) and 116 MPH in the 1/8th. There were a shit load of forum members there to see it that day. And many of them were doing what I was doing.

Of course, traction on the race track makes this much easier. But that's the problem! On the street, I could easily and quickly lose control. This is why I question my skill level and the need for having my car set for "kill". No factory built production car, Dodge Demon, Porsche, Ferrari, or Bugatti for that matter, got shit on a modified, deep 9 second Buick in the 0-60 department. Maybe on the street, yes. With all wheel drive, traction control and a skilled driver. But not on the track. Then after the 1/8th we can wait around for them to catch up.

I urge you to read this thread https://turbobuick.com/threads/0-60-in-a-mid-9-second-car.437130/. No, I beg you to.
I stand corrected & apologize. I did read your thread 0-60 & am shocked & amazed at what these cars are capable of. Thank you for the education & kindness for not coming down on me too hard for my ignorance. Again I never meant any disrespect just didn't think it was possible for a 30 plus year old TB, even heavily modified to pull those kind of numbers. You got quite a car there brother.

I may be oversimplifying, but one of the best feelings is learning how to launch one of these cars.

Almost like hanging on to a well tuned two-stroke motorcycle!

I stand corrected & apologize. I did read your thread 0-60 & am shocked & amazed at what these cars are capable of. Thank you for the education & kindness for not coming down on me too hard for my ignorance. Again I never meant any disrespect just didn't think it was possible for a 30 plus year old TB, even heavily modified to pull those kind of numbers. You got quite a car there brother.
The boost is strong in this one.
Welcome to the dark side.

Come forth my child, and let the boost flow through you as it has for us!