You can type here any text you want

Oh well

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

qwic87gn

I got bored last night and decided to go look for a race with the girlfriend riding along( keeps bugging me to take her racing).:p
We just get on the vard and see a bunch of the local f-body guys sitting in a lot just bulls**ting like always. So I go ahead and pull in and was looking forward to race this 95-97 LT1 with 150 shot n2o. I seen the car run a 11.50 in full race trim a month ago. But his bottle was empty so it wasnt gonna happen that night. I kinda think it was full and just didnt think I was worth it.:(

So one of the guys there suggested that I run this 99' t/a with a 50 shot and motor work, not really sure what is done, other than the hot cam. He went 13.0@110 last week. So I figured it would be pretty close.

First run I killed him out of the hole by at least 2 car lenghts. But when he hit 3rd he went passed me. The end of the 1/4 he had me by a car.:mad:

So I decided to unhook the alky and see what happens then.
This time he heated up the drag radials and stayed with me off the line. He slowly pulled away and got me by 1/2 a car!

I cant be to upset though. That was my street trim. 18#'s, 20*timing, 5gal of 100 with 10gal of 91. Oh yeah and I was on my normal crappy bfg's.

I said we will have to meet up at the track next time he wants to pick on my lil' 6.:D

Well then I guess it was a good thing that Lt1's NOS bottle was empty....

I mostly wanted to just see how his car would run on the street. Kinda getting a feel for him. I had no intention of beating him that night.

NOS = Lame sh¡t....."oh, I can't race you, my solid rocket booster is out of propellant", "I only have a fast car when my dentist gives me his 1/2 empty bottles of lauging gas, without my 150 shot I have a 15 second car". :rolleyes:

qwic87GN:
I cant be to upset though.

With my G/F watching me gettin my tail kicked I would be. No wonder the excuses are flowing......;):D j/k

A friendly word of advice if you going out picking on some newer F-bodies with you significant other in tow. No matter what, make sure your in "Kill" mode:D

yeah no kidding...no LESS than 22 psi on that turbo with alky! i run 24-25 lbs on my dual nozzle and a 23 degree timing extender chip setup...not much will hang with that...you have a similar combo so don't go picking on newer ls1's until you are in race mode because those things are monsters when modified as well as our cars...

Originally posted by TT/A1233
NOS = Lame sh¡t....."oh, I can't race you, my solid rocket booster is out of propellant", "I only have a fast car when my dentist gives me his 1/2 empty bottles of lauging gas, without my 150 shot I have a 15 second car". :rolleyes:

Wow.... sounds like someone's been spanked by the blue bottle before..... ;)

NOS is not lame. Going out with out being prepared (i.e. - bottle is empty), now THAT is lame.....

:)

- Matt

Originally posted by TransAm WS6 420

NOS is not lame. Going out with out being prepared (i.e. - bottle is empty), now THAT is lame.....

- Matt

NOS is not lame but nitrous is lol. I sort of feel the same way. I wouldn't show up at the street races without alky or racegas. Just too much of a gain for so little effort to not use it.

You wouldn't happen to be the same guy by the same screen name and real name as clubsi, would you?

Originally posted by cool 84
You wouldn't happen to be the same guy by the same screen name and real name as clubsi, would you?

The one and only ;)

- Matt
Nope, not been spanked by laughing gas. Only street race I lost was to a '67 GTO with 502" crate motor....and no silly juice that is good for claiming you have a fast car.

Nope, not been spanked by laughing gas. Only street race I lost was to a '67 GTO with 502" crate motor....and no silly juice that is good for claiming you have a fast car.

It's all good dude. I just see having a full nitrous bottle as being on par with having good gas in the tank, or the alky bottle full. If you are going to go out and RACE, you should be RACE READY :)

It's all good dude. I just see having a full nitrous bottle as being on par with having good gas in the tank, or the alky bottle full. If you are going to go out and RACE, you should be RACE READY :)

Well said.

There are no rules in street racing. Its run what ya brung and hope you brung enough. In my experiences racing my GN, if I had intentions of going street racing, I had sticky tires, race gas and/or a full alky bottle. With these cars, there is not point to go out racing with out these things, since you are basically handicaping yourself without them.

JMO

Correct, but there is "honor" in doing things without resorting to such tactics just to win with inferior equipment. If this is hard to understand I won't waste my time trying to explain it.

Strap a NASA Shuttle solid rocket booster to the roof of the car just so one can win and feel proud; "My Chevette will stomp your GN, just wait a few minutes while I pack up my booster with solid rocket propellant first", "Hey buddy watch yourself back there. It's pretty hot at 5,800 degrees with 3.3 million pounds of thrust but I'm gonna whoop your aŝŝ this race".

I couldn't feel satisfied and look myself in the mirror about good #'s and great performance from bottled HP, whether is from nitrous or a NASA SRB....that to me is :rolleyes:

Correct, but there is "honor" in doing things without resorting to such tactics just to win with inferior equipment. If this is hard to understand I won't waste my time trying to explain it.

Honor and street racing do not go together. If you are into the whole idea of honor, you would not be participating in an illigal activity. This whole idea is another whole thread topic in itself, so lets leave that alone. As for nitrous being inferior equipment, that is a just an opinion, and in many racers eyes, a weak one. A power adder is a power adder. Buicks have turbo's, which is a power adder. Most guys on this BB, have bigger turbo's so the whole argeument that the car came factory with turbo is thrown right out the window. Also keep in mind some of the fastest door slammers in the country use NOS with bigger blocks or SBC to compete against other SBC or BBC cars with other power adders such as turbo's or superchargers in sanctioned NHRA events. Try telling these individuals or any serious racer nitrous is inferior, and they will laugh at you, and these are professionals. Nitrous is just another form of a power adder, not inferior equipment.

I couldn't feel satisfied and look myself in the mirror about good #'s and great performance from bottled HP, whether is from nitrous or a NASA SRB....that to me is :rolleyes:

That is simply your preference, but I can gurantee you the guy that blows your doors off using nitrous could care less.:o

Whoooooaaa.... I was going to spare the rhetoric, but it seems it's in order.

I spent over $3,000 and countless hours building and tuning my "inferior equipment" on my Trans Am. I was able to reach nearly 500 rear wheel horsepower on a bone stock motor. Tuning that set up required *just* as much skill as is required to tune a ragged edge turbo setup. I have just as much "honor" as anyone else out there. I am open about the fact that I use nitrous on some of my cars. Just because I find my power in a bottle, and you find yours by harnessing the power of your exhaust, don't give me the "high and mighty" speech of how your so much better because you don't spray.

Setting up a serious nitrous system takes time, money, and skill..... same thing as tuning a turbo. Funny how that works, huh? Maybe that's why they are both POWER ADDERS....Hell, you get a time slip at the end of the 1/4 mile, no matter if you got there by boost or by juice.

A lot of the "old guard" seem stuck on the concept that nitrous is "inferior" and "cheating". Well, I hate to break it to you dude, but nitrous is a viable source of racing power, it's been around for decades, and it's not going anywhere.

Don't swing this "honor" crap at me. I happen to think that you're just mad because my BONE STOCK motor'ed WS6 was over 2 SECONDS faster than your "honorable" car.....

- Matt

[you have a similar combo so don't go picking on newer ls1's until you are in race mode because those things are monsters when modified as well as our cars... [/B][/QUOTE]

Well most of my experience with ls1's is that my street trim is more than enough to take the ones that run around here. He runs the same et in race mode as I do in street trim. For some reason I get the feeling it was a bigger shot than 50, but maybe thats just my imagination cuz I lost.

Like I said before I wasnt out to go all out that night. Just to get a feel for the 11.50 LT1. As for being embarresed about losing with my girl with me, she knows the car wasnt on kill mode. All though she did say "wow I thought you would of beat him".

The post says oh well and thats what is. I know I can beat him and thats what I will do at the track. The whole street racing thing kinda bugs me. The guys around here are the type that if I lose I lose bad, if I win I lost. I cant win out here in that respect. The time slip tells the truth.

Why do I feel like I'm defending my self here? Damn I'm done now.

Thanks guys for the comments;)

How'd you do that 500rwhp bone stock?

WS6 420 - Just curious how you possibly got 500rwhp out of your car by tuning? Or does 'bone stock' not mean what I think it does?

Jim

Back