You can type here any text you want

oil pump question/ oil pump mod

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Is there a reason to run a high volume oil pump on these motors, also, I thought i saw something about a oil pump/ housing mod on one of the post, but cant find it now. One concern I have is that the high volume pump will suck the pan dry with a stock oil pan. your advice is appreciated.

really...

FWIW,
I agree with our fearless moderator and would add you don't need to use 93 octane gas either..
Then again, this (pump) modification is a piece of cake and if your concern is in what has (for a time) been determined to be a questionable oiling system by a few members of this community, I'm in the hi-volume camp and the use of 93 octane gas. :D

Where've you been hiding Gary? FWIW,I've used the HV unit myself but if the engine is put together right then you don't need it.

If your bearing clearances are correct in the motor you don't need a HV cover. I'm running a stock cover with a booster plate and have 30 psi oil pressure at idle hot with 10w-40 oil and a 180* thermostat. :)

and...

how much psi do you have at the back of the motor
going through the lights, internal leaks and all.

Again

how much psi do you have at the back of the motor
going through the lights, internal leaks and all.

60 psi up front. Don't know what it is at the back of the motor but it must be enough. Haven't lost a motor yet. :D[/QUOTE

Just went over this a few weeks ago.
You will have the SAME pressure @ the back of the block as you have @ the pump--assuming some foreign object isn't allowing enough oil to pass through where ever it is lodged. I have used gages @ the front and back--switched gages to be sure --with gages that we have available you WILL NOT see any difference.

Is there any modding to install a booster plate? I'll be replacing the fiber gear soon enough with a double roller and want to take advantage of any helpful hints once it's apart. It's a 54000 mile car and still has no oil psi gauge so I'm not sure what current psi is. {I hate that} I'll be installing a gauge as well.

Is there any modding to install a booster plate?

You have to mill a slot in the pump cover. I know there is a thread somewhere that describes what you have to do. Some guys use a die grinder or dremel. A mill makes a much nicer job. :D Sorry, I don't have any pics of mine.

I have never heard of a performance engine that called for a less then stock pump - just more. This is not to say a stock pump will not be good enough. My machine shop says people get too worked up about pressure and that large volumes of oil is what keeps an engine alive.

I have a HV pump but I have not seen my front cam bearing since using the HV pump - and that is fine with me!

I have never used a high volume pump on customers car and have found no reason to start now.

Back