You can type here any text you want

Oil pump rebuild

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I didn't...just packed it full of Vaseline and got instant oil pressure as soon as I fired up the motor.

There was a Melling kit on Ebay for 60 bucks. Is this a good kit and how long does it take to do? Is it done with motor in the car?
Thanks
Coach

You can get the std Melling oil pump kit from Autozone, O'Reillys, Parts America, etc. for around $20. That is NOT the HV oil pump kit.

You can do it with the motor in the car, BUT it is much easier to set up properly with the timing chain cover removed from the motor.

My opinion: Prime the pump any time you mess with the pump and oiling system. Pack it with vasoline on assembly and then drive it with a SBC priming tool. Pulling the cam sensor is required, but not that big a deal.

My opinion: Prime the pump any time you mess with the pump and oiling system. Pack it with vasoline on assembly and then drive it with a SBC priming tool. Pulling the cam sensor is required, but not that big a deal.

thanks, can never have too much insurance:)

I agree with Dave.

If you have an '86-7 with the factory oil cooler, you should be able to prime the pump by pouring oil into the cooler line hose when removed from the top fitting on the radiator.

Just be sure to re-connect the line BEFORE you use the priming tool.:biggrin:

Back