OK GN experts, WHAT IS THIS.........

ncmalko1

#1 Eagles fan
Recently purchased my first GN (newbie). When I stomp on the gas it accelerates nicely. When I take pressure off the gas the exhaust seems to thump and echo/rattle, somewhat, down the exhaust when slowing down.

OK experts, whats the deal? Normal or not?

Does your car have an open element air cleaner in place of the stock air box? If so, you're probably hearing the pressurized air backing up through the turbo as the throttle blade is closed. That is a normal sound.

Recently purchased my first GN (newbie). When I stomp on the gas it accelerates nicely. When I take pressure off the gas the exhaust seems to thump and echo/rattle, somewhat, down the exhaust when slowing down.

OK experts, whats the deal? Normal or not?

Sounds normal to me. I think what your hearing is what we call turbo sneeze... When you back out of the throttle the compressed air is trying to find a way out of the turbocharger. Its normal....

I've said this b4 but this website is amazing. I've asked several newbie questions and all I've gotten in return was advice and respect. This board really is a great place. Thanks meanbuicks and 86tr!

lol these cars are a serious learning experiance man. Anything you need to know the guys on here are great and will help anyway they can . I always said that was the horses snorting under the hood on mine hahaha. When you get off the gas it goes chu chu chu chu . Thats normal on these puppys. Enjoy it , Daniel Ray

Around here we call that "the horse chudder" or with Cottons giant intake on there its now becoming "the horse in the trash can". :D

whistle at idle and sneeze when you let off after you have killed the &^%%@#@!((&^&^%^$$...rice bast....rds....

Sounds like my first ride in my 84 GN with the 87 motor up at Cotton's in Mass. I look over at Brian Cotton and said "what the *ell was that?" He said, "that's the turbo".... and I said "man that sounds like the turbo blades chewing on the housing", but I was wrong. I replaced the stock turbo for a new PTE-44 and couldn't wait to see if it made the same sound... it did. Like was said before you will eventually get used to it. Congratulations on the new ride, if I can give you one pc of advice it would be this, read all you can on this board and the other's too. And in know time you will learn a ton about your new ride.

Chuck

Dude it's the bearings in your bottom end!! Tuff luck!!

Or maybe its the air being pushed out the filter :) I know bad joke.