Outlaw radial build part 3...

I'm waiting for the new heads to come in before I can start the headers. I have to measure the new port before I buy flanges.

They did send a mock-up head so I can get the intake and plenum on the car to start the intercooler tubing.

Finally got around to getting some things together and getting them in the car. Turbo is mounted in the grille. Charge tube is ran out of the way over the pass side plastic fender. Trying to keep it much more clean and less congested this time around.

Attachments

• frontturbo.jpg
    frontturbo.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,302
  • ictubing.jpg
    ictubing.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,286
Another from today's progress. Welded a 4" mild steel 90* elbow to the firewall. Then welded a 4" piece of .120 wall tubing to the 90mm throttle body so I could run 1 silicone coupling rather than 2. The plenum will have to be removed to get the hose off but that's ok......no chance of blowing the hose off. Swapping to a front drive distributor so I'm not worried about clearance issues in the back of the motor.

Attachments

• intaketubing.jpg
    intaketubing.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,203
Dusty,

That looks good man.
Are you going to run a blow off?

So you're still runing an intercooler? The car won't be on alcohol? or is that against the rules?

Pretty awesome for someone still wanting to compete in a buick body!

Intercooler is a PT3000 and it's sitting in the middle of the back seat. I can run alcohol in some classes but it's not allwed in the main class I compete in. Personally I would not run alcohol anyway. I've seen way too many cars spitting rods out which run alcohol. You can make more than enough power on gas.

Tim Lynch and Todd Berry's 10.5 cars are good examples. Steve Petty tested alcohol on the Limited Street car of Todd Berry but swapped back to gas after hurting some motors. Lynch still runs gas.

I love the Buick body way to much to get rid of it. The G-bodies work very well on a radial and it beats looking like everyone else with a F-body or Mustang.

Is it because of so much fluid in the cylinders? I work around a bunch of Chem e's. and they just don't understand the use of alcohol (besides cooling) because of the lack of btu's vs. gas.

They laugh when I talk to them about drag racing. Funny how not all engineers are gear heads.

Is it because of so much fluid in the cylinders? I work around a bunch of Chem e's. and they just don't understand the use of alcohol (besides cooling) because of the lack of btu's vs. gas.

They laugh when I talk to them about drag racing. Funny how not all engineers are gear heads.

At first it seemed it was due to using the slew rate to get the cars down the track. Slew rate cuts spark to cylinders and it would load up on fuel eventually locking or at least putting extra stress on the rods until they failed. On the big power cars, your dumping a ton of fuel into the cylinders. It seems it would be hard to hydrolock a cylinder considering the exhaust valve is still opening but something was going on to cause them to fail. There were alcohol motors spitting the rods out at every event we had last year.

I do know all the cars did not use a coolant system. They were using a rich mixture to keep the engines cool. Whether or not it was oil contamination that played a part in the rods failing, I don't know. It does seem people are getting a better handle on the tune-ups and there are less failures now. Maybe they're changing rods more often since they all use aluminum. I don't know a definate answer but between the maintenance to the fuel system and the failures with the engines, I'll be sticking to gas. If Petty tried alcohol and went back to gas I have to think he had a good reason.

Dusty, that mustang is slightly different. He's running an F3R with alky injection. Don't see that everyday. Should run 200 mph.

Dusty, that mustang is slightly different. He's running an F3R with alky injection. Don't see that everyday. Should run 200 mph.

I see them at the track everytime I go. This is heads-up racing central remember;) Not quite as common as twin 47/88 in the grille Mustang's but it's really just another pro-charged mustang around here.

We have Young's Performance, Alan Dudley and MFI controls, David Lemmond Race Cars, Pro-line customers, Ty-Tech customers, Quillen Motorsports, RTS motorsports, Pressurized Solutions, Lyons Motorsports, Reese Brothers Racecars, Sheppard Racecars, BB&T and a few I'm forgetting, all who test here in Huntsville. Our T&T nights are like a heads up shootout. And 99% of them are boosted Mustangs.:biggrin:

And you're the black sheep with the regal. Nice to be different.

Anybody running alky like my friend's car? Ever seen a build like that without an intercooler? That's the only thing that's cool about it, to me.