P trim, how much power have YOU seen

gtq-71, 24 psi, 235 c.i., 3759 with me in it, 130 mph.
if you have ported gn1's , this is the turbo to have.

surej

Stock block,home posted GN1,s,stock intake,208/208 hyd flat tapped cam,stock headers,30# boost,27.5 deg timming T-70 BB P Trim,3" THDP= 136.7MPH 9.90 3400# car

Reading this has confused me. Am I wrong in my thinking that the GT part of the equation is the compressor wheel? My 70 when I ordered it come in with a GT wheel. I call it a GT-70P.... P-trim exhaust. I had asked John about upgrading it at one point to a GTQ and he said I already had the GT wheel. He said I would gain some if I could move the air to spool it but didn't think I would see much with my combo so I didn't change it. I rather like the spool of the P-trim and IF I am correct I have the GT wheel. Am I off in my thinking? From my conversations I had with John I got the feeling the Q wheel was the same as it always has been, just the compressor wheel had changed. Someone explain it to me. Thanks!

Turbos can be any combo of wheels almost, I have a GT67 compressor wheel, and a Ptrim turbine small shaft turbo (standard turbine). Some turbos have a GTQ turbing and a GT compressor wheel, some have only the GTQ turbine and a standard compressor wheel, like a 45a GTQ. Right, anyone? GTQ turbos are a big shaft, no GTQ turbine trim wheels on small shaft turbos.

Originally posted by norbs
Just for some info...........

The q trim flows 11% more air then the p trim and the gtq trim flows more than q trim or p trim. The q trim spools worse then the gtq trim though. On a stock block with 231 ci you will not need the extra flow of the gtq or q, unless the heads are fully ported gn's. If you are using stock or even mild ported irons your waisting your money, on the q or gtq:eek:
Norbs: How would a GTQ wheel spool on a heavily modified 4.1? Gn1s,3500 stall,good intercooler ect.......in a 3433# with driver. THANKS

I have a relatively small turbo compared to most of the posts here. It's a "Limit" TE45a large shaft with a precision .63 and a p-trim. 130 mph @ 28 psi with a non lock up. I should pick up a few more mph with the "Vigilante" 6 pump lock up. Thought about moving to maybe a 70, but wonder if I would see much. Brian

Originally posted by mec108
Norbs: How would a GTQ wheel spool on a heavily modified 4.1? Gn1s,3500 stall,good intercooler ect.......in a 3433# with driver. THANKS

It would spool great, i'm sure i never had that much of a problem,but it is slower than a the p -trim for sure. With the bigger ci i would use the gtq no problem, its the smaller motors that will not benefit as well as the big cubes.

Originally posted by norbs
It would spool great, i'm sure i never had that much of a problem,but it is slower than a the p -trim for sure. With the bigger ci i would use the gtq no problem, its the smaller motors that will not benefit as well as the big cubes.

Outta curiousity, my question for you is what size valves do you have in your heads? Are they stock with a mild home port?

they are very mild ported on the intake side, but the valves are 1.77. THey flow only 179 cfm@25" on the intake side and 157 on the exh side when i ran 133 mph.