Paging Lee Thompson - Oil Pump Pics

a little more progress

More home stuff cut my time I had "planned" to work on it... only got about 2 hours or so.... Lemme tell you.... it takes a while to wet sand everything and get it even close.... once you have screwed it up like I did..... I finally got both surfaces relatively flat... and got my end play between .0015 and .002...... bolts are torqued to 120 in-lbs. Pump still turns free..... and I can't "feel" any end play.

With a little luck.... it will go back on the car tomorrow night... and will get primed up.... and not leak this time.

Now I see why the new covers already loaded with a blueprinted oil pump costs as much as they do...... cause it takes time to set one up..... especially if you have to re-do some stuff cause you are "in-a-hurry" ... :(

Success maybe?

Been out of town since Tuesday morning......got back around 2:30........worked on it off and on.... until I fired it up around 10:30......cold......oil pressure was 95 psi......10 min idling..... 60 psi...... 20 min idling....30 psi........ 30 min idling.....20 psi....... 10W40 oil. I think I got it......:)

I now have to order more pushrods..... the ones I ordered were 3/8" with 5/16" ends... they must be hitting. It is making a tapping sound just under the valve cover.....I hope 5/16" pushrods will clear that up.....gotta wait a little more I guess.....

I forgot where we left off.....

Morel lifters or Poor-Boy setup?

Either way, how's it sound? If you can tell over the tapping noise..

B

......oil pressure was 95 psi......10 min idling..... 60 psi...... 20 min idling....30 psi........ 30 min idling.....20 psi....... 10W40 oil. I think I got it......:) .....

GREAT!
Does this mean you owe me a beer? :tongue::eek:
Good job! :cool:

I forgot where we left off.....

Morel lifters or Poor-Boy setup?

Either way, how's it sound? If you can tell over the tapping noise..

B

I have the Morrel's in there. I think they are going to be quiet....once I get the right pushrods in there. I quickly looked at the pushrod holes before I ordered the bigger ones back months ago.... and the 5/16" pushrods that were in there on the poorboy hyd roller setup looked like they had loads of room. In reality.... with core shift in the block....1.65 rockers.... etc.... they "move" around quite a bit. In hindsight... I should have mocked them up and clearanced for them when I had the motor apart....

GREAT!
Does this mean you owe me a beer? :tongue::eek:
Good job! :cool:

Gladly! ..... under one condition.... I get to have one with you..... :biggrin:

I'll know more in the next week..... after I put the new pushrods in... and actually drive the car....

What valve covers? Are you sure you don't have a roller rocker touching a valve cover, instead of pushrod clearance issues? Just don't want to see you go down another false trail :). You should be able to lift each valve cover 1/4" or so for a few seconds while idling to see if the noise goes away, and it shouldn't be too messy. If you take them all the way off oil will go everywhere pretty quickly.

What valve covers? Are you sure you don't have a roller rocker touching a valve cover, instead of pushrod clearance issues? Just don't want to see you go down another false trail :). You should be able to lift each valve cover 1/4" or so for a few seconds while idling to see if the noise goes away, and it shouldn't be too messy. If you take them all the way off oil will go everywhere pretty quickly.

No I'm not sure....

I do have stock valve covers with the spacers..... maybe 1/4" or 3/8"? and two gaskets.... head to spacer (1)...... spacer to valve cover (2).

FWIW... I didn't hear this noise at all with the poorboy hyd roller setup.... and the little pushrods..... same cam.... same T&D roller rockers.... same valve covers and spacers....

I'll check closer this weekend when I have a chance to mess with it again.... maybe the adjuster stud on the rockers....is sticking up slightly more (I have 2-3 threads sticking up above the nut....). Anyway.... I'll check it closer later this weekend....

I'm glad you found the problem. What kind of gear end clearance did you wind up with? Do you think that's what the problem was?

I'm glad you found the problem. What kind of gear end clearance did you wind up with? Do you think that's what the problem was?

It was .0015 to .002 set up dry.

I do believe that was my issue all along. I'll know more when I drive the car some..... still might change the oil soon.... after this oil gets run some..... my other oil had some water contamination from the lifter changeout...... evidently some trapped water came out of the intake when I pulled it a week or so ago.... and got into the oil pan. I did change it last night before I ever cranked the motor.... but I'm sure there was still a little of it still in there.... should go completely away with this next oil change....

Sucess - maybe? - Not so fast!

snip.....oil pressure was 95 psi......10 min idling..... 60 psi...... 20 min idling....30 psi........ 30 min idling.....20 psi....... 10W40 oil. I think I got it......:)

Not so fast. I double stacked valve cover gaskets on the pass side where it sounded as if the rockers were hitting the valve covers.... couldn't see anything on the valve covers to indicate there was an issue....decided to take a semi-easy cruise around the block.... around a 3-4 mile loop..... rolled into it a time or two.... felt good for just running (for now) a stock turbo.....when the boost hit at 20 mph.... the tires were scotching.... never got over probably 4000 RPM......pulled back up to the house..... had plenty of valvetrain clatter.... opened the hood.... checked my underhood OP gauge.... "0"..... :mad: I haven't fixed a thing....... doing the same thing it was before. I am at a loss. I guess I'll pull the engine back out at some point...... gonna do other stuff for awhile....til I can motivate myself enough to go at it again.... This is truely a love-hate relationship..... and the hate is winning..... handily I might add.......

Check your rear cam bearing. Make sure it is installed correctly. My son had the same problem you are having and it turns out the rear cam bearing was not covering the oil feed hole. Major oil leak :mad:

cam bearings

Yes, I somewhat agree with mikestertwo. As I posted before I had the same issue and it turned out to be cam bearings. Does your front camshaft bearing have a groove on the front or backside of the bearing? What about the camshaft? Does it also have an oil groove?

Yes, I somewhat agree with mikestertwo. As I posted before I had the same issue and it turned out to be cam bearings. Does your front camshaft bearing have a groove on the front or backside of the bearing? What about the camshaft? Does it also have an oil groove?

The cam bearing..... from my memory does have a groove in it.... I think.... maybe a half groove? ..... The cam..... from memory doesn't have a groove.

I am going to pull the motor in the next few weeks.... tear it all the way down.... and carry the block to the machinist to use his eyes to see if he can find ANYTHING that might would lead to the oil hemmorage I am seeing.

I now have 2 other blocks.... and one other timing cover.... from which I could begin to prep/machine for a new block to use. If I were to choose this route.... it would take me considerably longer to get it back going due to $$ involved and time at the machine shop.

I think at this point.... I'll pull it.... disassemble it.... and let the machinist look everything over real good.

Machinist

You might want to take the assembled short block to the machinist? Would you want someone to bring you a box of parts and then ask what’s wrong with it? Unless its obvious, it is always harder to find a problem if something is already apart. Might want to ask ahead of time. Anyway, I would bet that it is something in the rotating assembly and not the block itself. Have him start by inspecting, measuring, and checking orientation of the cam bearings.
Don’t give up and start using another block. If you don’t figure this out the problem might just carry over!

. . . . . I am going to pull the motor in the next few weeks.... tear it all the way down.... and carry the block to the machinist to use his eyes to see if he can find ANYTHING that might would lead to the oil hemmorage I am seeing.

I now have 2 other blocks.... and one other timing cover.... from which I could begin to prep/machine for a new block to use. If I were to choose this route.... it would take me considerably longer to get it back going due to $$ involved and time at the machine shop.

I think at this point.... I'll pull it.... disassemble it.... and let the machinist look everything over real good.

Did you ever determine the root cause to the oil pressure?
Man I got frustrated just reading the thread . . . . :mad: