part # for original '86 GN window sticker

Anthony P

sharing knowledge with those who care to listen
Does anyone have an original window sticker for an 86 GN. I can't read the part # listed on the bottom right corner of the sticker. I believe it starts 2552.... but I can't make it out. Ultimately, I want to have an exact reproduction made, but I'm stuck without the complete part #.

I know the 87 GN window stickers made during regular production used part # 22535271. I believe '86 is different. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

Unless somebody jumps in earlier, I'll look at mine when I get home from work this evening and post up.

Here's what I think it says. Mine's old and yellow.

22529162 The first 5 digits I'm sure of, and the last. The 1 and the 6 are iffy, but I think that's correct.

TurboDave,
Thank-you very much. I'll post a follow-up this weekend to confirm the 1 and 6. Thanks again. -Anthony

even the wiindow stickers had part numbers?
would every Buick in any given year have had the same part number?

Yep. Everything had a part number. As far as I know every 1986 Buick should have the same window sticker.

Trying to complete the original documentation paper trail, this is what I've come up with so far...

Window Sticker part #'s =>

87 extended production used #25529152
87 regular production used # 22535271
84 model year used #22520821

And for the 86 model year I'm waiting for a FL contact to confirm what TurboDave thought the #'s were.

I started this research project not only for my own information but also since I have seen so many reproduction window stickers lacking some basic yet vital information like the form part #.

Watch out on that part number. The reason you dont see it on a lot of those is that that number is more or less a trademark owned by the General. You're going to run into problems if you mass produce these. Any trade mark like the GM and Buick logos are lic*nsed. That's assuming they want to come after you. I won't tell

A good example are the underhood labels sold by Kirban. Notice no part numbers.

I'd settle for good reproduction even with out the part number.

Hey when you get done with this project you want to try and duplicate the build sheet?

Thanks Eric for the info...just doing this stuff for myself and educating those who ask what info is contained on a window sticker. Most are unaware of the location for the dealer geographic code, dealer #, and order # (the wealth of info from the dealer invoice) let alone the ramp code and what various ramp codes were used and the sequential build # on the window sticker and where it is on the 87 and most of the later build 86 cars. Triple A Ent already does a nice job on the reproductions. For those that want one, just know enough to make it as complete as possible. Some gulp at the $50 charge from GM media archive for a copy of the invoice while others are unaware of the free info from GM Canada.

The build sheet? maybe some day. It took me about seven years to gather enough data on the 87 GN VIN sequence and build #'s to verify original cars. It could be a while before I look at the build sheet stuff. Thanks again for your input.
Best regards, Anthony

Let me know if you need any help. I'm a numbers guy and all of this documentation stuff fascinates me. I've spent the better part of the last 20 years compiling information on these cars. People may laugh and say what's the use but now that these cars are picking up momentum from the collectors I believe the more documentation the better. To bad I can't get any cooperation from Buick and GM. I keep on saying some day I'm going to put all of this stuff in a book. Just when I think I have it all I find something else. :)

Free info from gm canada

Anthony P What info is available? and where do I go to get the info. Thanks...

Sorry guys, I lost track of this thread. I created this checklist some time ago for those that have asked me about getting a reproduction window sticker, what information is on it, and what it all means.

Eric: Yes, compiling all this info would be a good idea. Publishing is another story. Richard Clark has asked me if I would consider getting all of this together in one place so that he could look it over. Pete Hoffman has asked if I would consider getting him some of this info for the new book he is working on....

I have thought about starting a thread to ask all board members to PM me data about their car (year, model, hard top, t-top, or astroroof, last six of VIN, body #, seq. build #, date of mfg, etc) but don't know how this would go over. I probably should PM SGRIM first and review it with him.

Here are the steps to getting a window sticker. The information below is mainly tailored to the '87 models. The '86 window sticker is slightly different in the gas mileage information window.

1. You will need a copy of the dealer invoice. Do you know the dealer who originally sold the car? If so, contact the dealer to see if they can provide you with a copy of the dealer invoice. If the dealer is no longer in business or didn’t keep the records, there is a solution. Contact Stacy at GM media archives for a copy of the dealer invoice. Phone # is 734.421.0273 x107. The invoice has the base cost of car, options, codes/descriptions/associated costs, destination charge, dealer name and address, dealer code #, and car order #. Cost is $50.00. Once you give her your VIN, she will look it up from the microfiche archives and forward a copy in PDF format via e-mail.

2. You will need the sequential build # for your car. This number is located on the RPO sticker on the trunk lid. The top line of the sticker has the VIN, sequential build #, and “J47”. If your sticker is damaged or missing, you will then have to research the last six digits of your VIN to that of another turbo Regal and pick a number accordingly. For the '86 cars, the sequential build # did not appear on the early build car's RPO sticker (those with the laminated RPO sticker). It only appeared on those '86 cars made from June '86 and later.

3. You will need to determine what ramp code (bottom right of sticker, big block letters) was used on the original sticker. Most 86-87 GNs had a ramp code “PP”. Although I have seen “AT, “JC”, “LF”, and “WX” ramp codes as well.

4. Original window stickers had the text “SOS=6” at the end of the line of text containing the “Final Assembly Point:”. The “=” symbol was in vertical alignment with the last digit of the dealer # on the line above. I do not know what “SOS=6” means.

5. Original window stickers had the text “Part No. xxxxxxxx” below the line under the ramp code. I have been able to assemble this list of GM part numbers for the window sticker form used for the Buick Regals including Grand Nationals, T-Types, Turbo-T's (WE4), and turbo Limiteds.

1984 GN part # 22520821 (from sample window sticker on file)

1985 GN part #

1986 GN part # 22529152 (from my posted inquiry on TurboBuick.com)

1987 GN part # 22535271 regular production August '86 through July '86 (from my files of window sticker images)

1987 GN part # 22529152 extended production August '87 through December '87 (not sure of exact source -'07 GS Nats, Englishtown Buick Performance weekend, or Kirban Reunion)
Please keep in mind that the part # is like a GM trademark and may not be able to be printed on your reproduction window sticker

6. E-mail Triple A Enterprises (tripleaent@aol.com). Point of contact is Bill. His website is Window Sticker Reproductions for Corvette, Chevrolet, Dodge, Oldsmobile, Plymouth, Pontiac, Buick, and Cadilac . Cost was $35.00 and a couple of bucks more to have it laminated. Size is about 10” x 12”. Forward a copy of the dealer invoice to Bill at Triple A together with the listing of the RPO codes from your trunk label, build #, and ramp code. Ask him to include the “SOS=6” text and if he will include the appropriate “part #” on your copy. While he only communicates via email he is very responsive.

7. When you receive your reproduction window sticker (WS), take it to a copy center like Kinkos and have them scan the WS to a PDF file for you. Now you have an electronic backup in case something happens to the one in your hand. Also, make a few copies for display with your car and then maybe have the WS laminated. If you buy it from Bill at TripleA Ent. already laminated, you cannot scan it to make a backup copy.

2. You will need the sequential build # for your car. This number is located on the RPO sticker on the trunk lid. The top line of the sticker has the VIN, sequential build #, and “J47”. If your sticker is damaged or missing, you will then have to research the last six digits of your VIN to that of another turbo Regal and pick a number accordingly. For the '86 cars, the sequential build # did not appear on the early build car's RPO sticker (those with the laminated RPO sticker). It only appeared on those '86 cars made from June '86 and later.

Excellent work. If anybody needs a good guesstimate for a Sequence number of their TR just PM or email me at efisher@billheard.com . I have a lot of SPID labels I've copied over the years and I might be able to come close for the sequence number. I'll have to figure out a way to copy these to a disc so I can send them to you. It cant hurt to have a couple of us who are interested in this to keep track of and share what information we have.:smile:

I dont see any problem suppling all the information from your car. Heck CarFax knows more about your car than you do. And all of their information is wrong. Why not post it here and benefit from it. It's not like somebody can access your address and personal information from the VIN. Unless they are some super hacker. In that case I would imagine they would be more interested in stealing Ferrari Enzos and not your TR.

Hi Eric,
My goal would be to increase the data on my running Excel spreadsheet by having the boards cooperation. And then have that compiled spreadsheet available here for reference. My existing compilation is worksheet by year sorted by last six of VIN. I'll ask the powers that be in the next week if this is something they will put their Papal blessing on.

In the meantime, I will PM you another e-mail address with greater file size capacity. I have to create it this weekend. I'm switching ISP providers. If you were to then send me a ZIP file of what you have for SPI labels, I will start extracting the info to the spreadsheet and send you progress copies. Obviously, this undertaking will take some time. Places like Doug's GNRegistry has some of this information but I doubt the seq. build #'s were reported. There were some hardcore collectors that had no idea that the build # was on the SPI Label for some '86 and all '87s.

More to come...

-Anthony

I have a doc saved to make a reproduction window sticker. I used it to reproduce my original window sticker. I can email to anyone that is interested.

John

Copy of window sticker document

I'm a new member so could use some help. I'd like a copy of this so I could make a window sticker document. I have a 1986 Buick T-type WH1.

Follow the steps in post #16 to get what you want

Please read my post above for all the information you need. This is the only way to get a correct reproduction window sticker for your car. The MS Word template on gnt-type.org is only an approximation of the real deal. It is not formatted to the correct size, does not have the correct fonts, and you do not have all of the specific data for your car if you do not follow the steps I outlined in post #16. The fonts needed for some parts of the window sticker are not packaged in any Microsoft or Adobe product. You must purchase them once you have identified what they are. It is simply not worth the time and $$$ to try to do this on your own. Because if you show your car, someone like me will offer advice as to all the things wrong with your version of the window sticker.

In my opinion, it is not worth doing something if it isn't right. I have seen way to many incomplete and/or incorrect window stickers the past few years now that everyone is trying to get "original paperwork" for their car. When they show me what they have and think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread, I point out all the stuff that is wrong and missing. It would be much better to have an accurate reproduction than something that was thrown together. For the time invested trying to do something on your own that is obviously not correct, why bother?:biggrin: