Passed Calif. smog test

Harry Mash

"Turbofan"
Passed the Cal. smog test today with my 19 yr. old 191K ( Never had the heads off ) T Limited --- I would credit years of good maintenance as the reason for passing this test every two years --- but things are getting close. Here's the results:

MPH RPM %CO2 %O2 HC (ppm) CO(%) NO (ppm)

test-meas. meas. meas. max---meas. max--meas. max--meas.
15--1568---14.3-0.7---- 110--110----0.71--0.40---772--362
25--1544---14.4-0.7---- 85--79-----0.59--0.44---711--269

In preparation I removed the adjustable fuel press. regulator and put on the old stock one ( 36 psi -- line off ); put on the stock waste gate actuator; removed the SMC alcohol tank; installed a TurboTweak 50lb. injector emissions chip--- which appears to have all the stock requirements along with the proper injector calibration. Looks like the cat. converter may be getting a little weak.

Judging from the fact that the HCs are at the limit and the O2 is up, the cat may be on its way out.

Gofstbuick---from your previous comments I thought the cat may be the problem, although it's only three years old. Could a lazy oxy. sensor be a contributing factor?

It's possible, but I'm more concerned with the O2 content 0.7 and the fact that the vehicle fast passed at the HC limit. My vehicle just did that a week ago, except that it barely failed. Cat is 3 or so years old. Once a new cat was installed, emissions dropped very clean.

Sorry for the late answer. I was out of town today and when I returned, I had to go to DMV to do a VIN verification on my new truck. The cat i installed was a Magnaflow three way cat. Most exhaust shops have special on Magnaflow cats (99.95 installed) right now. The trick make sure that the muffler shop does not cut your exhaust system apart. Make sure they transfer the flange and slip fit the cat ot the DP. If you have a factory exhaust bracket, make sure the muffler shop retains the factory style bracket.