You can type here any text you want

Pep Boys Tires? Sticky or no?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Buick Beginner

Where is my $$$ going?
Gentlemen,
I'm going to need "real" radial tires for the GN. It seems that I read that the Futura Super Sport GLS tires from Pep Boys were pretty sticky as far as real street tires go, does anyone have anything to add on that? - BB

Can't be any worse than BFG Radial T/As.

I had them. They were pretty good. They were definately far better than goodrich. I replaced them with Dunlop tires which are also very good on the street. I don't know if I would call either one real sticky but they were good handling tires on dry or wet. They are stickier than most I used during 300k miles of driving the GN.

I ran a 2.1 60 on the Futuras. Not good but not terrible.
That was before I got some boxed LCA from someone.
Red Regal used to run these tires

Thanks

I appreciate the responses, I'll keep checking back to see if anyone else pipes in. - BB:D

i currently have a set of the futuras on my gn 225/60/15's,I cannot seem to where these tires out,I have been flogging them for almost two years now and they are just getting close to the wear bars,I have burned these tires out so many times it is not funny.I will prob step up to the 255/60's in the rear and maybe a 235 or 245 /60 in the front.

I have used them 5yrs good A/S tire. As for sticky invest in drag
radials on spare rims.
215-65 front
245-60 rear
:D

Once the needle hits 23 PSI+.. its all over ;)

Your in a different world now. Nothing but soft compound tires will do..

Been there.. sorry I couldnt make it out on Thursday..

OK

Hey there Razor - How's the motor coming along? The tire thing is an interesting dilemma. I'm gonna start a new thread to generate some more discussion. - BB

Motor goes in tommorrow.. worked on it all day.

Fingers crossed :)

i have the pep boy futura GLS on my car right now...

kinda a weird tire, it doesnt hook like a drag radial but it is better than any other regular tire that ive used. great everyday tire.

it squeels alot when they spin, even in the cold!

i run 265/50 15 on a stock gn rim

surej

My Futuras make no sound what so ever when they spin. Just a lot of smoke and a big long posi black mark.

Pep Boys put 295/50/15 on my stock GN wheels I've ran The Futuras for awhile and love them. Plus 193 for two mounted ready to roll is a plus.

tires

I,too am interested in replacing my tires. Any input would appreciated. I just put futura tires on my 2000 regal everyday car yesterday--4 for $2oo. I didn't even consider them for my 87gn.Tommy

Do you have the UTQG ratings for this tire? The lower the tread wear number the softer the compound,i.e. if the Futuras have a 400 than they are harder than a tire with a 300. I find it hard to believe Pep Boys sells such a thing as a sticky tire as they are more of a high mileage type of company. Once upon a time, Yokahoma and Bridgestone had an entire line up of soft compound tires in the 140 to 200 range in 15" sizes, but after browsing through their lineup on line I see there are slim pickings unless you go into th 16-20" sizes.

Originally posted by turbofish38
Once upon a time, Yokahoma and Bridgestone had an entire line up of soft compound tires in the 140 to 200 range in 15" sizes, but after browsing through their lineup on line I see there are slim pickings unless you go into th 16-20" sizes.

That's because rubber technology has moved on. Their new high-performance tires stick as well or better than those old soft-compound models, and have twice the treadlife.

:) I have used the 295/50-15's on 15 by 7's with 3 1/2" back spacing and aluminum drums. The tires do not rub and "I" and a friend ( Bob Anderson not Bill ) get 1.7 & 1.8's most of the time.:D

Back