Please help! Car will not start and no service engine soon light light

WIKEDV6

Please help! Car will not start and no service engine soon light!

I am posting this for a friend of mine, the last time the car was started(86GN) was about two months ago, when he went to start his car a few days ago, the battery was low so he got another battery and he said when he hooked it up, he hooked it up backwards:confused: Now, no check engine light no spark, no fuel etc. The fuse looks good, the one for ECm/INJ. He also said his ecm has a burned smell to it.He wanted to see if the ECM was fried so he switched the ECM from his brothers car(86Ttype), no luck. he also tried his ECM in his brothers car, now neither one starts. no check engine light on both of them. Did the crank sensor or module blow out or is there a fusible link anywhere for the computer. What are the common problem if the + & - are reversed or if you put a fried computer in your car? :eek:

T.I.A

Prasad

So the no-start car's ECM won't start the will-start car, but when you put the will-start car's ECM back in the will-start car, it started? And the will-start car's ECM won't start the no-start car? Is that right? Man, that's confusing but hopefully it makes sense. Sounds like 2 problems: #1 - power to the ECM is gone + #2 - the ECM is gone also. Test the orange wire to the ECM in the no-start car and see if there is continuity all the way to the ECM pin from the battery connection. If not, that's the cure for problem #1. Then try the known good ECM and see if the no-start car will start now.

In the beginning we had one car(car#1) that didn't start. After switching computers around(from car#2 to car #1) and back to the respective cars, both of the cars will not start. First he pulled the computer out of his brothers car(car#2) (which was running at the time ) put it in his car (car#1) no luck, then he took the computer came out of his car(car#1) and tried it in his brothers car(car#2), no luck. Then he went and put back the good computer that came out the running car (car #2) now that car will not not start either. I know this is confusing, If it still doesn't make sense, I will try to explain it again.:D T.I.A.

Sounds like your friend blew out multiple things. The computer obviously, and maybe the coil pack or something? The fact that his computer made his brother's car now not start is weird..

Hooking your battery up backwards = bad.

This is for no SES lite-from the book.
Okay, does the engine start? If no, then....

Is the ecm fuse good? if yes...

Ignition off, disconnect ecm connectors

ignition on, probe A5 and A6 with test light with other lead of lite to ground. (a6 is a pink/black wire straight from the ecm fuse)

Test light should have been on for both. was it?

If yes,

then it is faulty ecm connections, bad ground, or bad ecm.

If no, then look for an open circuit in the wire that did not light up.

Might be worth checking all of the fusable links at the starter. The fusable links are there to protect the other electrical components in your car. If any of these has been burnt, the starter may not crank and there may not be any power to the computer. Without getting into the electrical diagrams, I believe that there are a total of three fusable links located in the harness at the starter.

(Steve) I checked A5 & A6, They both have power, now this is the car (car #2) which was running until we swap the computer out to check the other car which had the battery cable switched. My concern is; if I put in a good computer(in car#2) , what are the possibilities of it getting this computer blown out due to the fact that we had put in the blown computer previously from car #1 which may have shortred something in the car like the module or crank sensor. Is that possible? What kind of damage car a fried computer can cause if it is put in a car that had no problems before.:confused: TIA

Prasad