Please stop parting out cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heres my pieced together 85 gn

heres my gn. I bought it 2003 - was a body w/ nice int. A short block w/ a blown tranny and a peg leg rear. And I am proud to say that i finally got to drive it for the first time last fall. Its still a work in progress, but its mine. Acar I have dreamed of owning and crusing around since I graduated high school. You may think its a pos or one that needs to be parted out to save another - but this car will be mine forever. oh yeah - its converted to the 86 - 87 i/c set up too

Attachments

• gn pics 004.jpg
    gn pics 004.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 321
heres my gn. I bought it 2003 - was a body w/ nice int. A short block w/ a blown tranny and a peg leg rear. And I am proud to say that i finally got to drive it for the first time last fall. Its still a work in progress, but its mine. Acar I have dreamed of owning and crusing around since I graduated high school. You may think its a pos or one that needs to be parted out to save another - but this car will be mine forever. oh yeah - its converted to the 86 - 87 i/c set up too

Now thats a nice car! Good save!

Thanks JD. I've worked really hard on this car. I would like to also mention that I am one of those lil guys. I don't have alot of money to spend on it, thats why its taken so long to get it together.

IMO The used/abused TRs need to be sold rather than parted out so that the younger generation can get into them easier. Without fresh blood flowing into the community our numbers will eventually dwindle to nothing and innovation will completely stop.

Good post jdpolzin. I do agree with you, too many people are parting out their cars anymore so it seems.

I can understand if the car is totaled beyond reasonable repair, or maybe if the car is is a northern car/rusted out big time that it would cost more to fix it than you could buy a nice TB for.

It's bad enough the thieves part these cars out for us. Save some if you can. otherwise one day there will be no more real TR's left because they'd all been parted...then people will start cloning them.

The worst thing about a car getting extremely rare, is vendors start to back out.

There is only 1 reputable SYTY vendor because it just isnt profitable with less than 6k potential customers (and not all of them want performance parts) , lol ... and they charge you out the ASS for the parts because they KNOW they have you by the balls. ---

... and they charge you out the ASS for the parts because they KNOW they have you by the balls. ---

well as years go buy you are goin to see less and less Buicks being used and raced.. The "restorer's" are moving in slowly and will DRIVE up the parts prices as well as the price of the nicer cars. yes that equals to HIGHER (GAFFING) prices. Buicks are drivers to me because I am old :p The cars of the late60s/early 70's have gone threw the roof. imagine paying $7500. + for a nice steering wheel?? Writing is on the wall. Stock parts are the ones that will bring in the $$$$. Yes some will "need" to have stock original parts. Not repo or Chinese copys :cool:

...Oh any car can be fixed including the one I just posted. All it takes is time an $$$ ! I have watched an old classic cars being "restored" around a VIN off a trunk lid and a bent up frame :eek::cool:

I agree 100% Grumpy , I drive ALL of my cars like I stole them. Thats why I bought them though, to have fun :) ---

Value wise, what is the difference in parting one out and turning it into a drag car? Parts will net more profit than the resale of a race car that was built from a TR.

Well I see that point too. If you change a TR into a $30k race car, chances are you will only get $20k from it , BUT it will STILL BE ON THE ROAD vs dead forever ---

I dont know what it is lately but everywhere I turn, someones always wanting to part cars out. I dont know what happened the past 5 years but totally restorable cars are going to parts constantly. I know I know, a car is worht more in parts right now than it's worth as a whole......yadda yadda yadda.

Well then, restore that car and sell it to someone so they can have their dream car. For every car that gets parted out, one less person has the chance to own one. Yes, some of the parts are used to rebuild other cars and I do understand that. But, there are people on this board and others who seem to be doing nothing on here but selling parts from their parted out cars. Should these certain individuals be paying vendors fees??? I think some of them have far past a level where they are just trying to get rid of parts, it's become a business for these guys. Now if JoeBobsGN has a wrecked, totally rusted, bad titled, POS that isnt salvageable sitting in his barn then by all means, harvest the good parts off of it and get rid of the scrap metal. I have no problem with that.

What ever hapened to the reason we are all here?.......the dream we've all had about having this amazing car we built or purchased, the comradery of our fellow TB buddies, the good feeling of accomplishment when your cruising your car, etc!!!!! I get into this quite a bit with a certain person who is very close to me that I wont mention. First thing that pops into his head is, I'll buy that and part it out. I think he is changing that mind state and seeing it more to the way I see things. I think of a car thats incomplete or needing work like I thought about that Go-Kart frame sitting by a dumpster when I was a little kid. I took that go-kart frame and my buddies and I made that into a running cart from pieces of lawnmowers, bicycles, dirtbikes, parts from cars in the junkyard, etc!!! Granted it got pulled with a chain behind my friends 3 wheeler more than it probably moved on it's own power! But the point is, not every car thats not a show car is worthless. Some people cant afford a $15k-$20k car. some people can only afford a non running, rusty piece of crap. But those people will eventually fiddle with it enough that it may be a nice show car someday!!!

I just say.....build cars, stop thinking about the all might dollar! It may make some kids dream come true someday! My little brother is seeing that dream come true right now because we are rebuilding a car I parted out years ago for him! It was a wrecked salvaged car. The only thing we are actually using is the shell from that T. The frame and everything else has been built from donor cars that werent worth fixing. It's a 403 powered, BRF trans, 8.5 rear (3:73 gear), completely factory looking car. We used all the 307 wiring harness, carb, ECM, dash components, etc! It looks like it just rolled out of the factory with a 307 but it's actually a 403!

I'm not rich, actually I dont even have a job right now! I know money is very important but before you rip that car apart, please think to yourself......could it be fixed???:cool:

I agree 10000 times, thanks for the great post. This is something that has been eating at me for a while as well.

I have to admit that if it wasnt for used parts - my car wouldnt be drivable. I got alot of parts from greater chicago area buick club members when theyn went bigger/ go fast parts. bought some from e-bay and this board. not against parting out the one that truely need parted, or used parts from someone modifing there gn. My car was about to become one of those parted for just the $$$$$$$$$$$. I'm glad I found it and was able to rebuild it. Just hope i didnt aquire anyones stolen car parts.

well as years go buy you are goin to see less and less Buicks being used and raced.. The "restorer's" are moving in slowly and will DRIVE up the parts prices as well as the price of the nicer cars. yes that equals to HIGHER (GAFFING) prices. Buicks are drivers to me because I am old :p The cars of the late60s/early 70's have gone threw the roof. imagine paying $7500. + for a nice steering wheel?? Writing is on the wall. Stock parts are the ones that will bring in the $$$$. Yes some will "need" to have stock original parts. Not repo or Chinese copys :cool:

...Oh any car can be fixed including the one I just posted. All it takes is time an $$$ ! I have watched an old classic cars being "restored" around a VIN off a trunk lid and a bent up frame :eek::cool:

I would have to agree!!! I'm one of those guys that loves to drive my cars. If its something thats is rare or oddball or just too nice to beat up, I'l make it into a show car. Otherwise, I'd rather buy a $2-$3K clunker TR and have fun with it. Then slowly it'll be one of those cars you'll see driving on the Power Tour, at the strip, etc! Enjoy them, build them, save them.

Are you planning on restoring that Limited? Maybe Brian would be interested in it?

Are you planning on restoring that Limited? Maybe Brian would be interested in it?

nope.. really it isn't worth doin over. this car had a really tuff life and was a local rust bucket. I am using it for a dumpster cleaning out some of my F body parts and some Buick parts. I am trying to get out an move on to something new :p I am sitting on a lot of parts!! started hoarding in 1986 :eek: bad habit!!

Probably cause people get more for parting them out vs. selling as a whole. Pathetic, but true is many cases.

So maybe I should part out my Limited T? instead of selling it outright?
How much do you think I could get adding it all up?

Lay me out some numbers PLEASE!

Running Eng worth ? sell with turbo or not?
Body ? Sell complete or take everything off?
rear end ?
trans ?
moon roof ?
Moon roof again ?
Spare GN Grille ?
Glass ?
wheels ?
glass ?
Caspers digital dash ?
Inside ?

hahahaha... comparing a 69 Z29 to a hot air car :eek: sure OK !!! If in doubt piece it out!! Guys don't like that then BUY the cars an fix them.. pretty easy solution !! I have an 87 Limited white "T" here for sale .. $1000. no drivetrain, doors or nose or interior. Just needs those parts.. oh the shell needs rockers, floors, and rear quarters. :cool: I have owned this car for prob 5/7 years.. Has nice mag wheels on the front. oh the windshield has a small crack goin from side to side. THIS CAR IS RARE compared to an 84 Hot Air car !!! Please someone "save" this car. Oh I prob have every part here to bring it back. :cool: YES I do have the center caps to !! There just no on the car. Didn't want the kids stealin them.

How many Mice in there?:biggrin:

Too freaking Easy to post.
Jeremy you are the first guy to beat the person down on parting a car out. Now before this gets into a Jeremy buddy or Brian's Buddy. We are Friends.
I'm alot taller & better looking according to Austin :biggrin:

Soon as 1 is being parted you all are the freaking vultures. Do guys Like Dan & I wreck em & part em out? Hell No. You get an idiot behind the wheel & they total them. We buy them & save no not 10 but 100 +. Now the guy parting a car out on the board has no idea what he is doing(90%). You sell the high dollar fast moving items & are like Oh crap. How can I get more $ then selling a $200 part for $20. At this rate I work my butt off & for what?
We end up with them.

We buy them. We make the effort to turn a buck.
Me personally I use the $ to develop new parts that are discontinued. So have at it. I parted over 600 of these 69 z-28's LMAO!
Hot airs,regular regals,Gn's etc.
No I don't part WE-4's, Wh-1's, Limiteds, etc. Yes the real cars that are rare that the GN mentality doesn't understand.

Every day I hear I want an 87 GN. Not an 86Gold T. I want that GN. That mentality buys em, wrecks em, & causes what we have here today. Well you want it, you have it. Don't blame the people That deal with your butt head insurance companies that want to total out your GN because they can't find the parts.We have them & we save them. Thank the idiot you sold your GN to & totaled it out a month later. Why did you sell your twin turbo GN:rolleyes: to that guy, Oh yeah the $ :biggrin:

I'm done & ready to take it like a man. So every one that has bought a used part stand up & cast the first stone.

Personally I don't agree with every car being parted out. Should be offered whole first then parted. But parting is better then seeing it go to the crusher.

Too freaking Easy to post.
Jeremy you are the first guy to beat the person down on parting a car out. Now before this gets into a Jeremy buddy or Brian's Buddy. We are Friends.
I'm alot taller & better looking according to Austin :biggrin:

Soon as 1 is being parted you all are the freaking vultures. Do guys Like Dan & I wreck em & part em out? Hell No. You get an idiot behind the wheel & they total them. We buy them & save no not 10 but 100 +. Now the guy parting a car out on the board has no idea what he is doing(90%). You sell the high dollar fast moving items & are like Oh crap. How can I get more $ then selling a $200 part for $20. At this rate I work my butt off & for what?
We end up with them.

We buy them. We make the effort to turn a buck.
Me personally I use the $ to develop new parts that are discontinued. So have at it. I parted over 600 of these 69 z-28's LMAO!
Hot airs,regular regals,Gn's etc.
No I don't part WE-4's, Wh-1's, Limiteds, etc. Yes the real cars that are rare that the GN mentality doesn't understand.

Every day I hear I want an 87 GN. Not an 86Gold T. I want that GN. That mentality buys em, wrecks em, & causes what we have here today. Well you want it, you have it. Don't blame the people That deal with your butt head insurance companies that want to total out your GN because they can't find the parts.We have them & we save them. Thank the idiot you sold your GN to & totaled it out a month later. Why did you sell your twin turbo GN:rolleyes: to that guy, Oh yeah the $ :biggrin:

I'm done & ready to take it like a man. So every one that has bought a used part stand up & cast the first stone.

Personally I don't agree with every car being parted out. Should be offered whole first then parted. But parting is better then seeing it go to the crusher.

Yeah I thought I at least had some height on someone around here!!!!!! Oh well!!!!!!

I actually dont mind that you part out a wrecked car. And I also know that we need guys like you in this community so we can have those parts developed and saved. You really do have to have used parts floating around otherwise we'd all be screwed.

My biggest problem is as soon as a car comes up here for sale for cheap, I hear 5 people say they are going to buy it and part it out. Thats what I have a problem with. Now if a car is wrecked, badly rusted, not fixable, etc, part that bit*h out! I parted my brothers car out when it was still in TR form. That car was wrecked in 91, 70K miles and bought from a salvage auction in 92 where it then spent all it's years outside in a field. Bent frame, salvage title, who knew if the motor or trans were any good? Wasnt worth it to me to fix it. I did offer it up as a whole car here on the board for $2000 but didnt get any bites. That was before the whole "lets part it out" era evolved. If i had offered that car up for sale complete nowadays, it would have been gone in a heartbeat! Funny thing is, I have aquired most of that car back! The rear end is in my GN, the trans was highly built and used in my GN, the body is now my brothers car, I bought my seats back and those are going in my Regal. Shane has the motor out of it. It's funny how that goes!

I guess I just hate how many people are buying the cheaper running or restorable cars just to piece them out. It's on the rise lately.

3. Then you have the chop shop thieves that profit on ebay selling hot parts. Ever wonder where alot of low mileage TR parts come from??? These are the TRs/GNs that have been unrecovered for years or recent.

Funny you mention that. Since it seems when a TR comes up missing it's not see again for awhile, if ever. But at the same time you start checking eBay or Craigslist for parts up for sale and don't see anything off the car immediatley. I was on eBay earlier this week and someone from Miami Florida had several nice GN parts on there, without giving much of a description other than they're off of an 86 GN. Make me wonder if they're really off of a car stolen years ago and they waited for the dust to settle before bringing the parts out of seclusion.

"The little guy"

Great post Jeremy, now you probably know me better than most people here on the board and I agree with you 100%. I was that “little guy” growing up wanting GN so bad but I couldn’t afford it we were poor. So I bought an 81 Regal that was banged up pretty bad for 500 bucks . I did all the body work bought a hood scoop from JC Whitney, blacked out all the chrome and got some cheap wheels. I actually painted the car in the back yard. We had a crappy one car garage and the back yard was much cleaner than the garage any way. I remembered how hard it was for me to come with the cash to even do that. I think a gallon of lacquer black paint was like $39 or something at that time.

The last 18 years, I may have put back around 30 turbo Buicks back on the road and most of them were hot air cars. I sold 4 hot air cars for every 86/87 I sold. I can honestly say to this day I do run into some of them now and then. Most of them are in way better shape than when I sold them initially. I just wanted to fix enough things so that it’s road worthy. The “little guy” took his time and fixed them back the way it should be, mainly the body and paint. Every time I see one of them it makes me proud of the fact that; I had a hand in keeping that car on the road where I could have just parted it out and made more money.

Jeremy you know I have 20+ Turbo Buicks in my barn, all kinds of shape and years along with God knows how many motors and transmissions and other parts. You will never see me parting any of them out or just selling parts here.

I know why people part them out and they have the right to do so, they own it. In my case it’s all about Passion. I love these cars more than anything else and I will do what ever I can to put these cars back on the road. You never know how it feels like to be that “little guy” that can never afford a 8-10K car but willing to pay 2-4K and slowly work on it. I was there.

I am not rich by any means, I came from nothing. I worked hard to get where I am in life. I am always wheeling and dealing but most of all God is good to me and I owe everything to him.

Just my $.02

Prasad:cool: