You can type here any text you want

Plug Read: Champion Racing Intake w/ Power Plate

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BEATAV8

The Engine Whisperer
Seeking info from anyone running a Champion racing intake on the street.
I've been running one for quite some time now (3 yrs) with an RJC power plate installed (the funky one with the air foil). Fueled with E85.

Also running some relatively cold spark plugs, Autolite AR474. (sometimes AR472 or AR473)

At the track, the plugs read very evenly. But ofcourse they are "fresh" at the start of the day.

After running for a few hundred miles on the street with normal easy driving, plugs 5 and 6 are showing that they are quite a bit richer than 1, 2, 3, 4.

Not a huge deal, just swap them out and keep rolling.

Just wondering what others are experiencing. Considering here that I might remove the power plate and see how it responds.

Not too sure removing the plate will help u but im not a fan of autolites anyway, i run the ac r43ts plugs, i have a rjc plate for stock intake & my plugs are just a hair darker on 5&6 but i feel that means my fuel is a little heavy under w.o.t on the top end but assures me im not leaning out!

I have had the RJC PP for years in my race car and actually 3 and 4 show to be the ones lean, but only by a very small amount with Autolite racing plugs. My results with race gas should not really differ from e-85?

When I was running the stock intake in the race car, the results were similar to yours, but not a valid comparison since the Champion Racing intake, plenum and PP are way different.

Do not even consider going with the POS AC plugs, stay with the Autolite racing plugs. :)

It would be interesting to know the results w/o the PP?

Maybe i am way off on my plug choice, nick what part # racing plug do u perfer by autolite??

I'm running the PP with stock intake and my 5 & 6 look a bit richer too. This is with roughly 1000 street miles on the plugs (and 3 passes at the strip). However, the first 500 miles were without the PP, second 500 miles were with the plate.

Just put on new Autolite plugs a few weeks ago. It'll be interesting to see how things look by wintertime.

Maybe i am way off on my plug choice, nick what part # racing plug do u perfer by autolite??

There are many factors in choosing the right plug for a specific car.

How the car will be used and driven, type of fuel, as well as the specifics of the build.

The brand of the plug can be someone's choice, not necessarily good or bad, but should be based upon experience.

Some cars will "like" one brand of plug better than another for reasons never explained or found?

My personal experience with AC plugs was not good a few years ago, and have not used them since.

Autolite is our brand of preference since we have lots of good experience with them on street and strip cars.

We do not use a race plug in a street car if it has normal boost levels and not pushed really hard.

Beyond that level, but not a race situation, we like to see a non-projected tip plug used.

The spark plug is almost always where a "hot spot" will occur, and the projected tip help expedite that. This is especially true with alky injection and e-85 which also should use a colder plug than normal.

In the turbo Buick world, iron heads use a different plug length than those for alum heads, so be sure a plug recommendation is the proper size for you.

If you are new to TR's, find or ask someone that has a very similar build with enough good experience to give you a good starting point to make your own choice.

Well its basically a stock engine, the top end is off right now due to a head gasket issue so im having some minor head work done while they're off, u know like new springs, a little port work, valve job. Its only a 12.30 car but id really like to se 11.95. Full street car still has air on it. No alky just some 110 in the tank from time to time, i go to the track with it like once a year & make some runs so nothing radical. i have a couple tt chips for street & race. Thanks for the info on the plugs, the delco R43ts was recommended to me but ive always wonderd if that best but the car runs good with em but i guess it could always get better ya know!!

Back