You can type here any text you want

Polished edge taping - GTA rim powder coat?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jerryl

Tall Unvaccinated Chinese Guy
Got the lips polished and need to paint. :biggrin:

I did a search and came up empty handed. :frown:
What is the best way to tape off the polished edge before the powder coating?
I want to be able to tape them to get the fine line detail. :confused:

There is no perfect way to do it Jerryl. Get hold of rmar (Ronnie Martin) on the board since he's been doing powder coating for a while. He really does a great job. He did my parts and I can tell you it's top notch.

The company that powdercoats your wheels will use a heat resistant tape. You just have to let them know where you want your edge to be. How did you polish your wheels? Or did you have some one do them for you? Can you post some pics.

Thanks

There is no perfect way to do it Jerryl. Get hold of rmar (Ronnie Martin) on the board since he's been doing powder coating for a while. He really does a great job. He did my parts and I can tell you it's top notch.

Ronnie does some AWESOME work, but shipping would kill me!! :(

The company that powdercoats your wheels will use a heat resistant tape. You just have to let them know where you want your edge to be. How did you polish your wheels? Or did you have some one do them for you? Can you post some pics.

Thanks
The wheels were in good shape, so we wet sanded them with 1000 grit, and used an electric die grinder with cottom wheels and polising compound.
I do not have pics :mad:, but they turned out very nice!

They were dropped off earlier today. :smile:

Ronnie's closing down Jerryl, I'm sorry to say, but he should be able to give you some advice at least.

hey dudes, in a perfect world you would 1. powder the complete wheel and then machine and polish or 2.have a formed mask that fits the polished edge or surface.

This is how you see those perfect lines in powdered wheels.

If the powder is correct you can machine and it will not chip.......:eek:

Now the poor boy way either green heat tape. which usually draws up in the oven and a little powder will get under it. Or masking tape/ apply powder/ wipe most of the powder off the tape/ start at the top peel tape down slowly so any powder falling off falls on the coated surface .
Anything that falls on the machined surface you can wipe off/Q-tip damp/ small small brush,

It is easier to do if you have a line or break in the surface
to follow. If you mess up blow the powder off and try again it is always easier than after it is cured....

hey dudes, in a perfect world you would 1. powder the complete wheel and then machine and polish or 2.have a formed mask that fits the polished edge or surface.

Now the poor boy way either green heat tape. which usually draws up in the oven and a little powder will get under it. Or masking tape/ apply powder/ wipe most of the powder off the tape/ start at the top peel tape down slowly so any powder falling off falls on the coated surface .
Anything that falls on the machined surface you can wipe off/Q-tip damp/ small small brush,

to follow. If you mess up blow the powder off and try again it is always easier than after it is cured....

And this is why I said to contact Ronnie.:biggrin:

And you are right about 1 thing Charlie they will not be perfect. But if someone calls you out cause your good lookin wheel isn't perfect..... Smackem.....:biggrin:

The first wheel has 4 colors on it......

Attachments

• 000_0136.jpg
    000_0136.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 000_0133.jpg
    000_0133.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 118
I know there dirty,

but you get the point,
had em done while back, and yes you can see the line, , but if you don;t like it , go do you own! LOL
maintenance free!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 100_0514.jpg
    100_0514.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 131

When they put a bedliner in my truck they used a tape with a steel wire along one edge. Don't know how it would hold up to the heat but it produced a nice sharp edge in the bedliner

Back