Posi-Traction Units????

WANNAGOFAST

Who makes the best (strongest/durable) posi units for the GN rearends? I've heard that the Moroso Brute strengh unit is a good one. Any others?? I will be installing probably 30 spline axles and be using the stock gear ratio. I expect the car to be in the 1.5's 60' range. The above mentioned unit is a cone type unit. Anyone ever heard of a new "rachet" type unit????? TIA.

A new eaton 30 spline, clutch style diff should be fine in the 1.5's

Moroso?

Pretty sure the Moroso is a clutch type, not a cone type. It has, quote, "22 friction discs, four more than stock." The Eaton is also a clutch type, and is a little cheaper than the Moroso. Auburn is still cheaper, and is a cone type. Powertrax makes a locker, that's about in the same price bracket as the Eaton, but is easier to install, since you don't have to pull the carrier. Lots of choices! Hope you get some good recommendations, my '87 came with the posi, I haven't had to think much about the differences.

Don't get an Auburn, they suck! My old car had one and it went bad and when I got this car it had one and it was bad.:mad: I bought 30 spline Moser axles and a Eaton unit and it is awesome! I thought Moroso only made the Brute Strength for 12 bolts now:confused: At any rate, I would also stay away from the Powertrax units due to noise and varying degrees of success. The Eaton is rebuildable and if you want spool type launches opt for the 800 lb. preload springs but be warned it will chirp on the corners. FWIW the stock Z preload spring is 200 lbs. and the stock Eaton springs are 400 lbs. I have the 400's and it is still pretty grabby!:eek: :D

Powertrax

Noisy in the turns..YES but, if you can put up with the noise, they work great. Never had a problem.

I use an Eaton Posi with 30 spline Mosers (Ford ends) and 1.4's no prob