You can type here any text you want

possible to re-seal a hybroboost at home?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

novaderrik

the booster in the T is leaking fluid- not much, but over the course of a summer, it leaks about a quart all over the firewall. but it still works perfect.
is there a seal kit available for a broke DIY guy like myself, or do i have to find a rebuilder or head to NAPA with $200 for a reman booster?

Well, since PowerBrakeBob hasn't chimed in I guess I can give you some direction.

If a rebuild kit is available (and cheap), and you can do such things, I would say go for the DIY rebuild. Otherwise, your looking at new or rebuilt from a parts store.

Not aware of any other avenues, but not that familiar with HB.
Although I do like the setup.

Good luck!

I dont think the seal that usually leaks is available. I know back when these cars were new you couldn't get one from GM. Looks like a reman'd HB is your only option.

looks like i might have to do some asking around at NAPA.
the way i see it, if the rebuilders can get the required seals to do the job, then i should be able to get them, too.
i'm mostly curious if there are any special tools needed, and what to look for as fas as problem areas. all this depends on me being able to get the required rebuild kit, that is.

...the way i see it, if the rebuilders can get the required seals to do the job, then i should be able to get them, too.

I had that same thought when it came to getting parts to rebuild the engine balancer on a 2.2l Toyota 4cyl. -NOT- Only way I could get the parts I needed was to buy an entire new balancer....for $600! Owner was pi$$ed, but so was I. I'll never own one of those - regardless of how good they may or may not be.

re:

Don't go to NAPA! Try Advanced/PartsAmerica. about 130 +core. NAPA I had to send my org in and have it rebuilt-maybe a month wait. The first one I got was no good,ordered another online. That one is working fine. returned them at a local Advanced Auto for full refund w/cores. I looked everywhere else and no luck.
Mart

Don't go to NAPA! Try Advanced/PartsAmerica. about 130 +core. NAPA I had to send my org in and have it rebuilt-maybe a month wait. The first one I got was no good,ordered another online. That one is working fine. returned them at a local Advanced Auto for full refund w/cores. I looked everywhere else and no luck.
Mart
i appreciate the heads up, but everyone gets their reman parts from the same few places, so the odds of a bad part is the same everywhere.
and i'd rather give my local NAPA a few extra bucks for the same part than go to Advanced or any of that kind of chain store. i've never been to a bad NAPA store- but i've been to plenty of awful Advance/Western Auto/Checker/Bumper to Bumper stores staffed by ignorant 16 year olds that are just working there to get discounts on fart cans and neon lighs for their CRX.
i'd still rather do it myself, tho.

hydro boosts are not hard to rebuild

I've done lots ( over 1000)
I worked for chevy, and later at shop that did pwr brakes and hydro boosts.
finding a kit is the hard part.
tip........ DO NOT MESS WITH THE ACCUMULATOR!!!
the rest is straight forword, big figure 8 seal, and piston seals,
if you find a source for the seals. please let me know
thanks

It wasn't that NAPA had BAD parts, they told me they had NO parts. The guys I always talk to there told me that according to there computer I must send in my org unit and wait to have it rebuilt. I try to get my parts first from napa, then anyone else.
I will always check part# online so I have them in hand when/if I walk into a store to deal with a sales PRO! I don't know how many, or which ones get there parts from PartsAmerica, but I found a bunch of parts there when everyone else gave me the blank stare!
Mart

any time someone at a parts place tells me they can't get a part because it isn't on the computer, i ask them to get out a few of those damn books they have behind the counter and start looking. if they don't know how to look thru a book, i'll either find it myself, or go somewhere else.
99 times out of 100, it will be in the book. if not, they can make a quick phone call to a warehouse and find what i need.
that's why i like NAPA better than all the other chains- the guys there tend to be more willing to go the extra mile to get what's needed to keep a customer happy, and they usually tend to be able to knock down the price a bit more.
i'm gonna do some searching tomorrow andsee if i can come up with a seal kit..

Back