Powdercoating gone wrong

truckindude

So I take my fender well moldings to a local powdercoater to be redone,he tells me itll take a week.So this being in march my car is in storage I say oh no rush.A month goes by I want them back I finally call,he says next week.Long story short,After calling 3 or 4 times I always get the runaround,saying tommorrow.Drove over without calling today said give me my moldings,reply: oh didnt they call we put them in the burnoff oven thot they were stainless I guess they are aluminum,we melted them!:mad:There was about a quarter of 1 of them left.Sorry for the long rant but I just had to vent a little.He claims he found new ones on ebay for me,coming this week I guess I will wait and see what happens,however his record for telling the truth hasnt been the greatest so far so i find this hard to believe.

I had a coater ship me back 30 some moldings in a box 8" x 8" by 48" long.
They were heated to the point they twisted & were almost straight. At least he is willing to attempt a lie. The coater told me oh well. Try & bend them back into shape. Last I heard he went out of business.

Powder Coat-able Or Not?

My Moldings Are Out Right Now Having 2 Dings Worked Out,
Then I Was Going To Have Them Power coated.
Are They Powder Coat-able? :confused:

Has Anyone Had Them Coated Successfully?

I got two sets done powder coated with no problems. One set is for sale if anyone is interested sorry to hear about your deal.

I thot other guys on here have had them powdercoated,but dont take my word for it.This guy melted them in the oven trying to bake the old paint or coating off of them because he thot he would blast holes in them if he blasted them.Dont know much about it but I think it would have to be really hot to melt the old coating off,probably not as hot to put new coating on.Good luck you might want to ask your guy about it tho.

I got two sets done powder coated with no problems. One set is for sale if anyone is interested sorry to hear about your deal.

How much are you asking for them?I guess I will wait this week once and call the guy again and see what happens.:confused:If he keeps jerking me around maybe I will have to buy yours,and see if he will pay at least part of em.Thanks, Delmer

My Moldings Are Out Right Now Having 2 Dings Worked Out,
Then I Was Going To Have Them Power coated.
Are They Powder Coat-able? :confused:

Has Anyone Had Them Coated Successfully?

Yes they are powder coat able.........:biggrin::biggrin: But aluminum does require a fluoride pretreatment for powder to properly adhere.

how much are you asking for them?i guess i will wait this week once and call the guy again and see what happens.:confused:if he keeps jerking me around maybe i will have to buy yours,and see if he will pay at least part of em.thanks, delmer

pm sent

Powder Coating Advice.....

Thanks For The Advice.
Before I Took Them Off, I Drove Over To The Powder Coater To Show Him.
He Asked If They Were Metal, I Assumed They Were. He Said No Problem Then. I Guess I Better Let Him Know They Are Aluminum.:frown:

Also Would You Consider Our Moldings Semi Flat Black, Or Semi Gloss Black?
Mine Are Faded So It Is Hard To Tell.

Thanks;)

So I take my fender well moldings to a local powdercoater to be redone,he tells me itll take a week.So this being in march my car is in storage I say oh no rush.A month goes by I want them back I finally call,he says next week.Long story short,After calling 3 or 4 times I always get the runaround,saying tommorrow.Drove over without calling today said give me my moldings,reply: oh didnt they call we put them in the burnoff oven thot they were stainless I guess they are aluminum,we melted them!:mad:There was about a quarter of 1 of them left.Sorry for the long rant but I just had to vent a little.He claims he found new ones on ebay for me,coming this week I guess I will wait and see what happens,however his record for telling the truth hasnt been the greatest so far so i find this hard to believe.

Are you talking Regal wheel house mouldings? They're stainless.

I use 2 powder coating guys. One is fast and cheap the other is slow and expensive. The fast and cheap guy made a set go flat on me one time the warped so bad. The slow and expensive guy makes a jig for them so they don't warp and those came out perfect. It's all about using an experienced powder coater when it comes to certain parts that's for sure!! I did however use the ones that went flat and after working with them a little bit the went on fine.

To Mr. C.....

"I use 2 powder coating guys. One is fast and cheap the other is slow and expensive."

Jim, Who Do You Use? Also How Much Are We Talking?

How Slow Is Your Slow Guy?

I Live Local To You.

The Guy I Was Considering Was Advanced Coating On Street Rd. In Warminster.

Ever Hear Anything Good Or Bad About Them?

Thanks,
Brian

To Mr. C.....

"I use 2 powder coating guys. One is fast and cheap the other is slow and expensive."

Jim, Who Do You Use? Also How Much Are We Talking?

How Slow Is Your Slow Guy?

I Live Local To You.

The Guy I Was Considering Was Advanced Coating On Street Rd. In Warminster.

Ever Hear Anything Good Or Bad About Them?

Thanks,
Brian

One guy is in NE Philly right near Rhawn and Torresdale. The other guy is behind Hooters on Street road there. It's really hard to throw prices out there. I could never market powder coating. They go by how much I bring them, what it is, how much work, what coatings, etc, etc, Pain in the butt! The fast and cheap guy is usually about what most charge. I take him stuff and it's done in a week usually. The other guy is always more money but it seems to be better at times and he can be a week turn around or months. And the prices are all over the place. Both of them don't even really take walk in's. They both seem to do a lot of government contracts. I can meet you there one day if you want and introduce you to him. Maybe he'll give you better prices. I've walked out of there feeling like I got raped and other times I've walked out and felt I stole the stuff! Makes no sense that's for sure! e-mail me and we'll set up a day and time we can meet there. I'll be going to the guy on Street road sometime Thurs or Friday this week to pick up some stuff.

Most things on our car do not need to be put in the blast oven 700 degrees. But regular coating gets done at 400 for about 30 min. I had a couple of parts melted last yr they had some kid helping out. After I got my parts back they all learned their lesson. I guess I'm fortunate my coater is cheap and they do really nice work. They make their money on manufacturing orders. So they're pretty good to the car guys that come in. No matter what your getting done you should always ask the people there if they have done that type of part before. If they need anything more than 3 weeks to get something done go find another place to go.

I had mine done by a commercial business and they still twisted up into an S-shape. They freaked out a bit because they didn't realize they would do that when curing in the oven. I simply installed them and they worked out fine. A good powdercoating is well worth it to reduce the annoying paint chipping, where I had to repaint twice a year.

Like the idea of using the jig solution to maintain shape when cure heating.

Cost was appx $100 for all four about 4yrs ago.

Jim C.

Thanks For The Info. & The General Area Where The Coaters Are.

I Think I'm Going To Give Advanced Coating A Shot.
I'm Going To Stress The Problems Discussed Here On The Forum.
Also I'll Ask About The fluoride pretreatment.
Maybe I'll End Up Scaring Him Off The Job, But It's Better Safe Than Sorry :frown:

rmar is the duty expert I believe he powdercoats and specialties coats for a living
He just might know more than he lets on not to mention get a good laugh at the horror stories just a thought

Issue Resolved

So I just wanted to let everyone know the powdercoater resolved this issue and paid me the full amount to buy another set of moldings.So while I thot I would probably end up emptyhanded,I have to say he stepped up and took full responsibility for what happened.So there are still honest business people around.:DJust thot I should tell the good side to this as well as the bad.:smile: