Precision FMIC installation issue

nolanator

@none_more_black
Hey everyone,
I'm attempting to install the Precision FMIC that has been sitting around my house for the past 6 months and I've run into an issue. I have removed the grill, the two cross bars, and my trans cooler, but I don't see any provisions where this intercooler is supposed to mount to the vehicle itself.

Am I supposed to remove the AC condenser as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS. I read a number of threads on the topic, but for some reason I just cant comprehend the information. sorry.

There were 2 threaded holes in the top. I measured and spaced the unit, marked the locations, and drilled thru the top of the core support.
I used studs and bolted thru from the top. Once I got the location, I drilled a 1/8" hole all the way thru the support. I then used a hole saw, made the top hole large enuf to install washer, lock, and nut. I then drilled the lower hole to fit the studs.
You will have to cut the plastic pan.
The ac cond stays put. The x braces go.

There were 2 threaded holes in the top. I measured and spaced the unit, marked the locations, and drilled thru the top of the core support.
I used studs and bolted thru from the top. Once I got the location, I drilled a 1/8" hole all the way thru the support. I then used a hole saw, made the top hole large enuf to install washer, lock, and nut. I then drilled the lower hole to fit the studs.
You will have to cut the plastic pan.
The ac cond stays put. The x braces go.

Chuck, you may be right (not that I would doubt you) but looking at it and discussing it over the phone with a friend, it looks to be that where those studs are positioned would require some drilling and a circular cut on the top of the support since the head of the bolt would be in a recessed area. Ugh! I was really hoping to get this done without drilling anything, but i guess this is just how it goes.

Chuck, you may be right (not that I would doubt you) but looking at it and discussing it over the phone with a friend, it looks to be that where those studs are positioned would require some drilling and a circular cut on the top of the support since the head of the bolt would be in a recessed area. Ugh! I was really hoping to get this done without drilling anything, but i guess this is just how it goes.

Isn't that about what I described??:confused:

Here's a quick pic of mine installed. May help you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

3545f8524b0a63ccd693ed6d51b36768.jpg

9f71ecbd56b47a7e8c42cc11f11afe5b.jpg

Im in the process of removing AC from the car. This was mounted with the condensor in place.

OP has the old precision universal FMIC

open hood look down theres two 10mm bolts on the rad support to header panel that need to be removed ,
then remove the clip nuts from those holes
then drill the holes out just a little bit with a step bit to make lining up easier
from the grill side remove the center header brace at top and bend the tab back thats sticking out
remove x brace bars
dont cut the grill ..drill out the 8 or so rivets on the lower edge of the grill with a 1/4" bit and remove the extension
now put the grill back in, (i never remove the grill for a FMIC install) youll curse a lot if you wait to do it after the fmic is in
with a stud at each of the rear corners of intercooler , slide the intercooler up through the holes at top , washer and nut and thats it
to hold the grill from moving back you cant use the springs ..easy fix for any front mount is with a strip of sheet metal strapping (1/16") about 1x6 bolted under the inner top bolts of the bumper support to strut , just angle them inward and bend them to the grill

Last edited:
Just noticed that in his pics. Sorry...i tried.

3545f8524b0a63ccd693ed6d51b36768.jpg

I appreciate the pic, however mine is a little different. I don't have those tabs on the sides

Edit: my phone is loading messages in a weird order. I just saw the conversation about the old vs. New style.

Here is my view looking down. Unfortunately, Im not seeing any 10mm bolts that would line up correctly with the intercooler studs.

OP has the old precision universal FMIC

open hood look down theres two 10mm bolts on the rad support to header panel that need to be removed ,
then remove the clip nuts from those holes
then drill the holes out just a little bit with a step bit to make lining up easier
from the grill side remove the center header brace at top and bend the tab back thats sticking out
remove x brace bars
dont cut the grill ..drill out the 8 or so rivets on the lower edge of the grill with a 1/4" bit and remove the extension
now put the grill back in, (i never remove the grill for a FMIC install) youll curse a lot if you wait to do it after the fmic is in
with a stud at each of the rear corners of intercooler , slide the intercooler up through the holes at top , washer and nut and thats it
to hold the grill from moving back you cant use the springs ..easy fix for any front mount is with a strip of sheet metal strapping (1/16") about 1x6 bolted under the inner top bolts of the bumper support to strut , just angle them inward and bend them to the grill

I have the same FMIC just do as mentioned above. It's been awhile since I installed mine but I do remember having to drill 1 hole to get it where I needed it to be. Or maybe I just enlarged a hole. I didn't remove my grill or cross braces. Everything is intact I installed FMIC from the bottom. It will slip right up between the grill and radiator. Line up the studs and install flat washers and nuts. It only took me about 45 minutes to install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm back and you'll have to excuse me, but im a very visual learner and I'm just having a rough time fitting this right. Multiple people have attempted to explain multiple ways of installing this, and I just don't see it.

So the intercooler has a width of about 4.5 inches

This tab here is placed in a position that would interfere with the placement of the intercooler. Was someone suggesting that this whole piece be bent out of the way?

Lastly, I removed the radiator guard piece, so I could see if anything lined up underneath of it, it doesnt look like this could use any of the existing holes and have the intercooler remain centered

Im really sorry for how much of a hassle i am being. I know this shouldn't be difficult. I'm just having a bad time with it. Thanks

I'm back and you'll have to excuse me, but im a very visual learner and I'm just having a rough time fitting this right. Multiple people have attempted to explain multiple ways of installing this, and I just don't see it.

So the intercooler has a width of about 4.5 inches

This tab here is placed in a position that would interfere with the placement of the intercooler. Was someone suggesting that this whole piece be bent out of the way?

Lastly, I removed the radiator guard piece, so I could see if anything lined up underneath of it, it doesnt look like this could use any of the existing holes and have the intercooler remain centered

Im really sorry for how much of a hassle i am being. I know this shouldn't be difficult. I'm just having a bad time with it. Thanks

Going from memory. I believe I just removed that bracket. The holes I used are directly down from where the front of the hood closes just aft of the header panel. So. Remove the bracket. Install studs in the rear 2 holes on the IC slide it up and see which holes are close to lining up. Slightly enlarge those holes because they don't line up perfectly. That's really all there is to it. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It uses those 2 bolt locations in front of the hood latch assembly. The very first ones closest to the header panel. No need to remove the upper radiator support. If the angle bracket under the nose to the header panel is in the way, remove it.

I hope you are not still having problems with this.
Just incase you are I have a couple recommendations for you.

1. Make a stencil the size of the the top of the intercooler
2. Mark the mounting holes in the stencil
3. Drill out the mounting holes on the stencil
4. Use the stencil to mark holes in the radiator support
5. Drill the said holes
6. Put loctite on the studs and screw them in
7. Push the intercooler's studs up through the radiator support
8. Use lock washers and nuts
9. Clock your turbo down a little if needed
10. Fit the pipes with all the hose and clamps lose
11. Enjoy lower IATs, your boost will raise due to less pressure drop across the core.