You can type here any text you want

Predict who is gonna get killed

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Definitely from up higher. Along the back of the intake is soaked. The valve cover breathers that I have shouldn't be called breathers at all since they hardly pass any air flow. I'm going with K&N style next time.

On these motors, once they've been decked, or the heads have been resurfaced, it throws off the fit with the lower intake and you'll get leaks. The lower intake probably needs to be taken down a notch to make the fit right again....or maybe you already did that....just sayin'.

Oh....and IMHO....you're doing it right....creep up on your tune...let your data tell you where to go.....the Data don't lie.:D

Not harshing on anyone here...but....the world is full of hero's shouting "Crank it up!" as they blow gaskets or drive over their cranks and oil down the track....

Thanks for the info Chicken. Do you or someone have a diagram of what exactly needs to be done? I assume Weber machines the intake manifolds, but it doesn't hurt to double-check. The engine has a FEL-1200 gasket set with straight RTV on front/rear rails. Visually, everything looked perfect when I was looking at things before I dropped it in the car.

Check with an experienced Turbo Buick engine builder....they'll know what to do.
I'd be surprised if Weber didn't do it....but....

I'm sure they did. But never hurts to double check. In a separate post I mentioned that my top suspect is the valve cover breathers. I blow into them and it's like blowing through a 1/8 inch hole. I wonder if the breathers didn't vent enough and pressure built up in the crank case. That's what I'm thinking right now and i'm going to buy K&N style breathers. They can vent wayyyy more air than the breathers that I currently have.

Update: I noticed a lot of oil on the ground and all over the bell-housing. Seems like the rear intake manifold seal is leaking pretty badly. Looks like I'll need to pull the intake and re-do the seal. I may change to different valve cover breathers too. These don't seem to allow much air to pass through so I'm thinking the crankcase might of got pressurized. I've heard of bad PCV's doing that as well. The car will be down for a while since the GF states that I'm spending too much time on my hobbies. Hopefully I'll have it running again within a month or two.

Fix the GN.

Nix the GF.

;)

Fix the GN.

Nix the GF.

;)

Haha. I'll probably slam on it next week. I can have the intake off in an hour or less. I put my 97 vette on Ebay. So many toys and not enough time. I'm dumping the vette to have more Buick time. :)

. . . . Oh....and IMHO....you're doing it right....creep up on your tune...let your data tell you where to go.....the Data don't lie.:D ....the world is full of hero's shouting "Crank it up!" as they blow gaskets or drive over their cranks and oil down the track....

LOL! X2!

IMHO with flamesuit on:
As "boring" as 14 PSI is on a brand new combo/set-up, it is less boring than changing HG's.
Most that have the balz to run 22PSI on 87 octane :eek: on a new build . . . know their combo VERY well AND have spent a loooooong time refining/documenting it.
No need to be an Internet Hero with one glorious pass, and a blown HG with another combo/rebuild in the works.

Toomanymodz,
Congrats on the build.
You are getting closer to your goal!

On the oil leak;
Did you liberally add RTV in the head/block cavity area?
Check the valve cover gaskets as well.
I think the oil would blow out the dipstick and passed the oil pan seal long before it blew the intake seal.

(Yes, change the breater :tongue: )

Can you get breathers at AZ or a similar place? Mine on the drivers side is falling apart.

Thanks
Zack

The spectre az breathers are garbage very little venting at all . If you blow shop air into them you can tell how little they vent hardly any air would come out . I found leaks all over when I ran them. Switched over to K&N's and not a drop anywhere .

The spectre az breathers are garbage very little venting at all . If you blow shop air into them you can tell how little they vent hardly any air would come out . I found leaks all over when I ran them. Switched over to K&N's and not a drop anywhere .

Where did you get the K&N Ones?

Thanks
Zack

I would check your valve covers first.

Clean it all up, maybe add dye - but you may get a better idea of where it's coming from.

I pulled the coil pack to get a better look. Oil was on top of the back 'ledge' of the motor and on the bottom back corners of the heads. I used a light and mirror but really couldn't tell where it was coming from. I checked both valve cover breathers and one vents normally but the other is defective and hardly can pass any air. I would think that with one working breather that this thing shouldn't be blowing seals or leaking. I just stopped for tonight. I need to take time away from it I think.

Ok, my buddy wants a re-match. Apparently he was at only 12 psi when we ran 'em, and I was at 14. He wants to have a go at it again, this time both of us at 15 psi. Place yer bets (again). haha

Ill say you. Him running at 15PSI is nothing. Now if he was running his 49 for all it was worth, I would vote otherwise.

Well, if I was also running my 6765 for all it was worth, I'd be in the nines. At only 15 psi, my turbo isn't even hardly breaking a sweat. I felt a big difference when I bumped up from 12 to 14. Even the exhaust note changed!

Exactly my point. I don't see how the race is really testing anything. Its obvious you can and will crush him with both cars at 15PSI. Make it more interesting! Turn his up to 25 and yours down to 10 or something lol. That I am curious to see.

Zack

Hey, then it wouldn't be apples to apples. Of course he'd win at 25psi. We've been talking about 'what is boost' etc. Boost is resistance to flow, so in theory my combo will flow more and at a given boost level mine should make much more power. We're just testing that theory. There is also the theory about turbo efficiency. At 15psi, his turbo has already 'come alive' and is in its zone. But at only 15, mine is still 'sleeping' and hasn't begun working yet.

Back