You can type here any text you want

problems with smog chip

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Budman

I ordered a smog chip from Precision Turbo for 42.5 lb injectors and can get blm,s to 128 with FP set at 38 lbs line off (in park) but at 2500 rpm the blms are 105 and exhaust is so rich it will burn your eyes. This is not good. My extender chip has no problems with the blms at idol and 2500 rpms but is still to rich to pass smog test. Im not getting much help from Precision, the person who burned the chip no longer works there and the only other person who know anything about chip burning is the boss and he is not avalable to talk on the phone when I call. Any suggestions would be appriciated.

Please post a location and the results from your emissions test. Including O2 and CO2 results.

I'm in Santa Cruz, Calif., I havent taken it to the smog check station yet because I know it's running way to rich to pass with this smog chip. Even with my extender chip I have to use the lean base fueling setting. It's always seemed to run a bit rich no matter which chip chip I run. This is my steup:

Stock moter- 165k miles
Big mouth intake
LT1 maf with T+ and extender chip
TE60 turbo
V2 front mount
3" TH down pipe and cat
2 1/2" hooker exhaust
walbouro 307 Fp, hotwired
42.5 lb injectors
acufab FP regulater
smog chip by Joe Lubrant

Santa Cruz is still idle and 2500, so your best bet is to have some one do a manual mode test of emissions and then we can see where you're at. At least you'll be able to provide us a baseline to work off of.

I'd bet that Joe Lubrant was the one who made that chip, and he has started his own business doing tuning and chips. Do a search for "Joe Lubrant" in the tech forum or maybe the lounge and you should find his contact info. Also try dropping the fuel pressure another 2-4 psi to see if you can get the 2500 rpm blm up off the "peg". Don't worry if the idle blm goes up so long as it stays under 140 or so.

ijames said:
I'd bet that Joe Lubrant was the one who made that chip, and he has started his own business doing tuning and chips. Do a search for "Joe Lubrant" in the tech forum or maybe the lounge and you should find his contact info. Also try dropping the fuel pressure another 2-4 psi to see if you can get the 2500 rpm blm up off the "peg". Don't worry if the idle blm goes up so long as it stays under 140 or so.

Don't Think Standard Chips Or Emission chips Work with the Translator Plus :confused:

Not sure but that could be your problem... or T+ settings wrong for set-up :confused:

Joe

Actually standard/emission chips work fine with the Trans+...just have to make sure the dip switches are set correctly...I passed emissions here in AZ easily with Trans+...50lb injectors and emissions chip...

A friend told me I needed to reset the dip switches so I did it today. Set fuel pressure to 32lbs line off, Line on won't drop any lower than 28 lbs. Translator switches set: on,on,on,off. This should be correct for non-extender chip I believe. I installed the spark loop connector. Disconnected orange wire. Installed smog chip. Reconnected orange wire. Started it up and let idle untill it was up to temp. (200 deg). Idle blm's 126 in park. 2450 rpm blm's 105 and integrator still trying to drop. Took it to smog shop and it was closed. Will go back Tuesday and try again. See if I can get a manual test and get back to you with some numbers. If all else fails I guess I'll borrow a stock maf (mine died) and bypass translator alltogether. Thanks for the help guys, MH

I took it to the smog shop today and it passed with no problem? 2500 rpm blm's still read 105 on direct scan. Here are the numbers:

idle: rpm 959, %CO2 15.1, %O2 0.0, HC (PPM) 16 (max
120), CO(%) 0.00 (max 1.0)

2500 rpm: %CO2 15.0, %O2 0.1, HC (PPM) 15 (max 140),
CO (%) 0.01 (max 1.0)

163k miles on odometer

Thanks alot for all the help guys, Mike

Back