PT 76mm P-trim turbine wheel housing - PTB3-76???

Anthony P

sharing knowledge with those who care to listen
In a parts lot I'm looking at is a new turbine housing for the 76mm p-trim turbine turbos. Think PT models 5976 or 6176 or 6776. Part # is PTB3-76. Precision has a retail of $229 for it.

Question:
is this 3-bolt, .63 AR turbine housing (4-bolt for downpipe flange) a piece someone can use? I don't want to buy stuff I can't use hoping to re-sell it only to get stuck with a large door stop to trip over. But I may need to buy it to make the deal for the stuff I want.

Is there interest in a turbine housing for the PT5976, 6176 or 6776?

In a parts lot I'm looking at is a new turbine housing for the 76mm p-trim turbine turbos. Think PT models 5976 or 6176 or 6776. Part # is PTB3-76. Precision has a retail of $229 for it.

Question:
is this 3-bolt, .63 AR turbine housing (4-bolt for downpipe flange) a piece someone can use? I don't want to buy stuff I can't use hoping to re-sell it only to get stuck with a large door stop to trip over. But I may need to buy it to make the deal for the stuff I want.

Is there interest in a turbine housing for the PT5976, 6176 or 6776?
I think the vast majority of the turbos you mention come with this housing. Because of this,these people would tend to want a Precision 85 housing or a Garrett 63 if they wanted a change.

Yes, those 3 units use that housing - from my informational call to PTE. Outside of a catastrophic event, housings don't go bad, therefore, my initial hesitation about this 63 housing. I was wondering about the chances someone would be putting together one of these units. It may prove to be a long time to find someone who wants to build one from a component basis. Then, I would suspect, that the 85 housing would be more preferable as you confirmed.

Thanks for taking a moment to share and level the decision to just get the pieces and parts I know and can use. Maybe I can do just that with the seller.

Then, I would suspect, that the 85 housing would be more preferable as you confirmed.
I'm not saying that the 85 is preferable to the 63. In fact,I would say that most people who switch from a 63 to an 85 are making the wrong move. I think that someone who has already switched to an 85 might want to go back to the 63 that you are talking about. In that case,I would guess that many would still have the 63 that they used before they switched to an 85. Because of this,I would guess that potential buyers would be limited.

Ah, OK. My original thoughts were that this unit is on a track car and that the 85 housing is utilized for the top end power. While the 63 housing may have come with the turbo assembly as new, I figured many would have just tossed it for a track car application and have no considerations for going back, making the re-sale of a 63 housing difficult. But me not knowing about these 76mm p-trim turbos, I could be wrong. Add in what you said above and the audience of buyers for a 63 housing would seem to get really small. Thanks.

Ah, OK. My original thoughts were that this unit is on a track car and that the 85 housing is utilized for the top end power. While the 63 housing may have come with the turbo assembly as new, I figured many would have just tossed it for a track car application and have no considerations for going back, making the re-sale of a 63 housing difficult. But me not knowing about these 76mm p-trim turbos, I could be wrong. Add in what you said above and the audience of buyers for a 63 housing would seem to get really small. Thanks.
Yes. Bison or Nick might give you something for it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm thinking Bison has seen this thread and I PM'd him. Called Nick and he's primarily working on street cars, no need for 9-sec parts at this time. This 76mm turbine housing is a bear. I'm going to try to leave this housing out of my purchase and suggest to the seller to list it on racingjunk classifieds.

The housing is contoured to a Garrett T04 76 trim turbine. It was a very common turbine used from the 90's to current and will support 70-78lbs/min of airflow. The turbines are available in several configs. I've seen full bladed with 11 blades and clipped with 11 blade and a 10 blade version. Small and large shaft. The shaft size has no effect on the exhaust housing. The correct T04 heat shield needs to be used with most of the housings contoured for t04 76 though I have seen a couple that used the thinner t350 heat shield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Bison for the additional info. This new exhaust housing is in a pile of parts I had seen for sale. I have no use for it, but someone else might. For less than 50 cents on the dollar it seemed like a good value. I was offering to pick it up and ship it to an interested party as I'm trying to buy other parts from this seller. A package deal could be a good buy for everyone, if the part is useful.