PTC converter users

Just like Buttonfly said the 9.5 is the all out race unit the 10 can be LU. or NL. What ever set up you want but the LU. is not made to lock up at WOT .

So is there any advantage to a straight non-lu 10" vs the lu 10" that will not be locked at WOT?

So is there any advantage to a straight non-lu 10" vs the lu 10" that will not be locked at WOT?

In Scott's case, his trans was already set-up for a non lock converter so he wanted to stick with this set-up. To swap a lock-up converter to a non lock requires the lock-up valve in the trans to be changed as well as a couple other mods like removing the check ball in the input.

A non lock will cruise 200-400 rpm higher than a non lock. Most guys in the 11 second range and slower with the 200-4r are lock-up guys. In order to avoid changing the lock-up valve and doing the other mods, they simply stick with a lock-up converter.

The 10" 2800 is the same converter whether it's l/u or non l/u. The only difference is the l/u has a different backing plate, the clutch inside and will be slightly heavier. There will be no performance difference that you could measure.

Thanks for the clarification, Dusty. Thanks for the time spent on answering my questions, too.

The 9.5 is the custom statored race converter. It is completely different inside. It will offer the best coupling and adjustability on re-stalls. The 10" is typically spec'd for 11 second and slower cars since they are not making enough power to take advantage of the 9.5 and can be ordered with a LU clutch.

The 9.5 is an entirely different animal. Everythng about it was designed to offer the best spooling and efficiency you can get. The 10" uses basic parts from oem suppliers and can't be suited as closely to your car as the 9.5. The 9.5 can outspool and deliver better coupling than the 10" due to it's internals being more custom.

The 9.5 requires power to make it work. You cant run your car effectively at low boost with it or it will pull the engine down too much on shifts. I have a 9.5 and love it. Im sure Dusty will chime in here with more info.

When a customer wants a 9.5 I spec it so that it will deliver the best performance at the track. It will indeed pull a motor down due to it's efficiency (just like a clutch car) if you have the power turned down, it will drop more rpm on the shift at 20# than it will at 30# and feel like it's lugging the motor. If a customer has a 70mm on a motor but only want to run 10.80's I need to know so it can be spec'd looser to give better seat of the pants feel.

Thanks for the clarification, Dusty. Thanks for the time spent on answering my questions, too.

Anyone have slip % for the 10"?

The nice thing about Dusty is the customer service doesn't stop with the sale. We originally had mine set up as a 3200, but after a trip to the track we realized it was too loose. Dusty tightened it back up to 2800. Now the thing spools just as fast as when it was a 3200, but it has the top end charge I didn't have with the 3200. I promise you can't go wrong with PTC;)

The nice thing about Dusty is the customer service doesn't stop with the sale. We originally had mine set up as a 3200, but after a trip to the track we realized it was too loose. Dusty tightened it back up to 2800. Now the thing spools just as fast as when it was a 3200, but it has the top end charge I didn't have with the 3200. I promise you can't go wrong with PTC;)

Did you make it to the track yet? I am going back when my track reopens for TNT in October. We need some more real world numbers on this 2800 we installed. The only person so far that went is Damon(Turbo6). His combo is making way more power than ours is though.

I couldn't have answered that question any better. :biggrin:

You have to tell Dusty what's important to you, cruising around or taking the car to the track. From your post of spending most of your miles at the 1/8th I'd personally get the 9.5" and know you're not going to get a better non lockup for your situation and the converter is deadly efficient which lock ups aren't until you lock them up in 3rd. The converter probably weighs 6lbs lighter too.

Mike--I have owned the car since 1989. I only drive it on average of 2,500 miles per year to car cruises and the track, so I really don't care if I have lu or not. Dusty has recommended the 10" to me but he is relooking at some PL data that I have sent him.

Do you run the PTC or the PI that is in your sig.?

Did you make it to the track yet? I am going back when my track reopens for TNT in October. We need some more real world numbers on this 2800 we installed. The only person so far that went is Damon(Turbo6). His combo is making way more power than ours is though.

Actually I have not. My power master has started to give me some issues. So I have a hydroboost I want to install before I go back to the track. I would really like to launch on 15-20psi on the slicks. Anyways you will be the first to know I promise. I do have my tune dialed in though. I am on 26psi, timing at 26/23 and right at 10.8 on the big end. So I am very ready and hope to post a good number.

Actually I have not. My power master has started to give me some issues. So I have a hydroboost I want to install before I go back to the track. I would really like to launch on 15-20psi on the slicks. Anyways you will be the first to know I promise. I do have my tune dialed in though. I am on 26psi, timing at 26/23 and right at 10.8 on the big end. So I am very ready and hope to post a good number.

Good deal. Let us know. You better call Dusty first instead of me.:D

I installed the 10" L/U PTC today and all I can is 'wow.' It spools very quick and pulls like a freight train in third, even though I don't lock it. I can hold 2,800 rpm on the footbrake with street tires. I hope to get to the track Thursday night for test and tune to see if my performance improves. I'll post back if I get to the track.

Thanks Dusty for a great tc. :biggrin:

Just got my best 60ft with mine with a 5 psi launch, 1.58 60ft. Couples awesome at the top end so far.....

I installed the 10" L/U PTC today and all I can is 'wow.' It spools very quick and pulls like a freight train in third, even though I don't lock it. I can hold 2,800 rpm on the footbrake with street tires. I hope to get to the track Thursday night for test and tune to see if my performance improves. I'll post back if I get to the track.

Thanks Dusty for a great tc. :biggrin:

:biggrin: ;)

Everyone I know with a PTC loves it. Ted A has one, Turbo Bob has one, I have customers that love them. One will be going in my personal car soon.
Mike