Push rod length and a collapsed lifter

Thank you for the advice. I could have it on a stand in a few hours so I might as well.

A76FB55F-6CB3-4911-B7C0-D56AB256DC5A.jpeg 543AC7BB-6B0D-4F1E-A6E4-2D2A65B2D724.jpeg ADB60C88-5913-4F5B-9C70-D37C0AF367F6.jpeg

Cam and cam bearings are shot. Three lifter were all rusty on the top like the block had sat outside for a while.

That cam is shot. As others have already said it needs to be torn down to the bare block and start over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies guys. The bottom of the lifters looked good and so did the cam lobes. Just not the bearings.

The way the picture is taken it appears to display a normal wear pattern. Have you measured the lobe with a caliper to determine how worn that particular lobe is?

No I have not I will though. What should I see from a stock cam? It’s all coming apart regardless because of the amount of metal in the oil. The bearing are shot for sure.

As a question: If the cam and lifters look good where is the metal coming from? To answer your question about measuring the cam just take a measurement from the lobe in question between the base circle and nose of the lobe and compare it to a couple of others on the cam.

Neal

put your lifters on a mirror or a piece of glass. They should spin like a top and have a little wobble due to a convex bottom. If they are flat or concave on the bottom, they're shot and a source of metal.

A non stock timing set can make metal too from normal use. Is the metal you found in the oil magnetic?

Thanks Earl I’ll check today. The cam bearings are what I’m thinking but I haven’t pulled bottom end out yet.

When I zoomed in the pix there does seem to be some rust or pitting on the lobes and bearing surface. Which backs up the idea it sat poorly stored with high humidity.
Maybe it was hurt then parked which goes along with metal chips you found.

The push rods were covered in rust I should have known then but I had put 1500 miles on this block before I pulled the heads. Must have just disturbed some of it and got it in the oil.

Yes but I don’t know how long it sat outside. I’ve been running it for the last 4 years and no issues until I pulled the heads

Doesn’t matter at this point. So much crap circulated it has to be 100% torn down and fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk