You can type here any text you want

Question about wiring in a relay

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gordyzx9r

I have a viper 791XV two-way remote alarm system. Coming off of the alarm 'brain' is a triggered LED that flashes when the alarm is activated. DEI technical support said that it's 2V going to the LED.

I have a GNX style dash, and one of the 'dummy' lights is a "security" light with a 12V socket/wedge bulb.

What I'd like to do is have a trigger of some kind where the voltage that illuminates the LED triggers a relay (?) that in turn illuminates the 12V lamp...is that possible somehow through a series of relays or what not? I'd have no clue as to how to do it or what not but it's something I'd really like to do. Any ideas?

You'd have to find a relay that runs off of 2 volts to transmit the 12 volts from the fuse block to the security light on the dash....where you would get a relay that runs on 2 volts I would not know.

Another alternative is to install the alarm's LED inside of the security light hole on the other side of the dash. You would have to somehow secure the LED inside of a black grommet.

Another idea....Razor on here, sells an Alky injection kit. With the kit comes a low level LED already in a black grommet that is designed to fit in the "low fuel" lamp hole in the dash. It's designed to come on when the alky tank starts getting low.

I don't know how many volts DC is required to operate the low level LED, but you might want to contact Razor and ask....perhaps it too runs on 2 volts DC....???....perhaps he can sell/send you just that LED only...????

HTH

First try to measure the voltage accross the existing LED, an analog meter may work better than a digital here but see if you can get a stable approximate voltage reading.

An IRF510 Mosfet transistor could be used as a switch to run a lamp, existing 2V LED wiring would trigger it, one side of the lamp would need to go to +12 or battery, the other side of the lamp to the drain, ground the source, and put the +2Volts or so to the gate, and tie a 4.7K resistor to ground at the gate also.

IRF510's are available at Radio Shack for a couple of bucks.

The increased load may kill your battery in a day or so however. :(

Perhaps a white high brightness LED in parallel with the existing one or in place of the existing LED stuck in the security bezel.

It can be done but the relay will be clicking the hole time the alarm is armed and it will kill the relay in no time. not to mention kill your battery. this is the hole reason dei went to the 2 volt led.
however if yo wanted to do it this is how. Pin 85 to ground 86 to the red wire of the led harness from viper system, 87 to 12volts 30 to your light in the dash.
hope this helps.

Back