Question for the cops.......can I get in trouble?

jdpolzin

WEll I finally got the GN out for this first real cruise time and I'm already in trouble. Went to the parts store, where I go everyday. The guys followed me outside and wanted me to do a burn out. So of course, I lit em up. Then I geta text messege from one of the guys saying the manager is pissed and called the cops on me. He looked up my phone number, address and knows my plates becuase they are easily identifiable. Am I going to get busted or not?

I would say it depends on the cop who gets the call. If it was me I would talk with the manager and then give you a "stern" warning. Maybe even talk the manager out of making a report. His customer and all, not real good for business.

the only way I would do a burnout is if the police TOLD me to do it :p Prob better get your dancing shoes on and have a good line of "believable crap" to give em :(

Why beat the old baby up, for somebody else's viewing pleaser? After all will your friend be digging in his pockets? When it’s time to replace something on these fragile, sensitive, always something going on under the hood/tranny cars? You know what it will do, if he wants to know, line em' or take him for a ride. Just my .02, but I do agree with G. Price because I've spent a ton of $$$$ at my local parts store.

Were you on the street or on his property when you lit them up? Was it the store employees that told you to do it? If you were on their property and you had the permission of a store employee, you are in the clear !!!

Were you on the street or on his property when you lit them up? Was it the store employees that told you to do it? If you were on their property and you had the permission of a store employee, you are in the clear !!!

that almost makes sense :cool: take you dancing shoes off for now :cool:

Generally, LEO's do not cite for what does not happen in their presence. However, If the store manager is willing to "countersign" the ticket, so to speak, you might have a problem. I would consider G. Price's advice also. I would also think long & hard before admitting that it was or could have been you to any LEO. Just my $.02 worth.

x2 That sounds good to me. Good luck and nice to the officer.

You do not have to say anything - of course that will piss off the cop and then, even though nothing has changed, there is likely to be change in what happens.

The person that said OK worked for the store - sounds like apparent authority to me. Might just want to ask about that and not admit you were the driver.

Short answer "No".

Cops don't write people tickets with 3rd hand information when they have not observed the violation. Otherwise every guy who gets cut off on the highway who called the police would get a ticket. It doesn't work like that.

The cops may ask what happened during a routine investigation. I certainly would not admit to anything. Unless it's on video it didnt happen. It's not like when someone calls the police when they observe a drunk driver. Once the violation happens it's over.

Well I got a little freaked out and havent planned on answering the phone. Just got a phone call from a local number that I didnt recognize so I waited till I heard the voicemail and it wasnt the cops thank god!

I can understand the manager being pissed. The only problem I see is that I am in there literally every single day at least once buying parts. There are a million burnout marks in the parking lot and this is the first and only time it was my rubber. The whole store, except the manager was out there watching. They all know this build and have been there the whole way and I spend a ot of time drinking beer with 75% of the employees at my house so it was pretty sweet though! I'm thinking the manager was probably not happy all of his employees were outside and not inside working so that probably didnt help much. He probably just wats to make an example out of me.

When I got the text, I was outside washing the car so I quickly rinsed it off and backed it into the garage because everybody knows where I live. Then guess what, when I shut the garage door, the damn spring came loose and one of the brackets took a chunk out of my fender.:frown: What a great first day in the GN. Cant wait to see what happens next. I havent heard anything from the Police yet so maybe it will blow by. The store manager said I'm not alowed in the store again. Thats going to be a huge loss because I spend half my paychecks there, or close to it.

Well, wish me luck! ----------Jeremy

Im a police officer in Florida. Laws may be diff where GNBrett is, but like he said, you cannot write a citation w/o seeing it, other than some circumstances like crashes, etc.
If the store manager wants to, he can possibly stretch a vandalism complaint, saying you left rubber on his ashpalt, and he has to pay someone to pressure wash it off. That makes the store lose money making him a "Victim."
If you spend money there, he would be crazy to pursue charges.

Then guess what, when I shut the garage door, the damn spring came loose and one of the brackets took a chunk out of my fender.:frown:

Damn that's crappy. Seems like lots of people are having car problems this week, me included.

Let it blow off for a few days and walk back in like nothing happened. If asked if it was you, be vague. Say "What are you talking about. I spend a lot of money here and you are ban me with only hearsay?" Admit nothing !!!!

I guess maybe I'm just old school. Parts stores are a Hot Rod guys candy store to me. Burn Outs from long term customers who just get their projects going would be sweet if I was the manager. It is against the law I guess but geeze why call the cops on a long term high spending customer?:confused: I'd give them a pat on the back and say good job, congrats, keep us in mind when you need something. I've spent enough at that place, I bet I paid half of there wages and have referred a ton of people there. I'm wrong for doing it I guess. I'll just go hide the car in the garage for a while. What ever happened to the good ol days?

A buddy of mine just got off the work from Oreilly's and said I didnt even leave marks. Just looked and sounded really cool! Why on Earth did this guy flip out if I didnt even leave marks on the property????:confused: Now I know I will never go back. Calling the cops was a dick move since I didnt even damage anything.:mad:

Not to hijack the thread or anything but this reminds me of when I first got my GN and I drove it to work.

The boss was a prick and just said "It's a V-6" and laughed.

They had just poured a brand new parking lot so..... I backed all the way up and layed a set of marks that everyone would be proud of the whole length of the lot.

The next day the boss was pissed and came up to me blaming me in front of everyone to which I replied, "It couldn't have been me. I just have a V-6". :biggrin: :biggrin:

That was the end of it. ;)

I would go back tonight and leave strips across what you already did. Then tell'em you were making a giant tic-tac-toe board for the local kids to play with.

You will be a hero.:biggrin:

Now, where to find giant chalk.......