Questions for Richard

Kip

Just to make sure we are all on the same page:

The way I read the shock rule, an adjustable shock would be allowed correct?

Is a trany fluid drain plug allowed to be added to the original pan?

I take it that if an external trans filter is being used it has to be completely hidden?

Thanks, Kip

PS don't be shocked if more questions are to follow.

Just to make sure we are all on the same page:

The way I read the shock rule, an adjustable shock would be allowed correct?

Is a trany fluid drain plug allowed to be added to the original pan?

I take it that if an external trans filter is being used it has to be completely hidden?

Thanks, Kip

PS don't be shocked if more questions are to follow.

kip-----lets start with the wording of the rules on each of your questions----

"any type stock appearing shocks in stock location, any color ok"-------i don't see where adjustable shocks would be a problem as long as they looked stock--------if they had some kind of wierd externally adjustable knobs or hoses running to them that would be a clear no-no or if they were obviously different in size and shape from the stock ones--------

"2004R with no external mods except for 2ond servo"-------would a drain plug be considered by most to be a mod?????-------i don't think anyone would feel its gonna gain you a quicker ET but it is an appearance issue and thats a lot of what this class is about-------for no more trouble than it is to change a tranny pan why give it a chance to be an issue-------as for the external filter i guess it might be ok if it were invisible or placed where no one can ever see it but how could that ever be worth the trouble required to go to such lengths------if you actually go to the trouble that its gonna take to make a competitive car in this restrictive class why would you ever leave something this simple to chance????????

with whats at stake this year----- ie over 6 grand for first place, you can be certain that the peer tecking procedure at BG is not going to leave many stones unturned---------I welcome any questions and strongly suggest that anyone else that plans to run in this class post any questions if there are things they are unclear about-------i really don't want to see anyone get docked for some simple issue that could be cleared up ahead of time-------and with BG only three weeks away now is the time to ask.............RC

Can you clarify the rules for exhausts. Thanks.

OK back to the rules in the opening statement there is a caveat concerning exhausts--------it states-----"in some cases such as exhaust systems where original replacements are no longer available and haven't been for quite some time we will allow reasonable upgrades"-------this statement was intended to serve as a clear intention of the spirit of the class in that I certainly understand several things 1- Very few cars are going to have original exhausts ------2- if they did most likely they would be rusted out------3- no one has been able to get an original unit for nearly 2 decades------4-originals were not that good to begin with and thats why ASC upgraded to something better on the GNX--------5-requiring an original GM exhaust would probably limit the field to near zero cars------6- no one has ever replicated a very original looking replacement ------and finally 7-as long as you have to use the stock elbow and stock size downpipe it really doesn't matter if you have an exhaust the size of a stovepipe it isn't gonna make your car go any faster-----------with this in mind lets look at the actual rules----------"original diameter one piece downpipe 2.5 max"-------this does not say it has to be original it just has to be one piece and and original diameter------- i have been asked if this means OD or ID--------good question------frankly i never measured one or gave that a thought but tonight i will measure several and comment on it tomorrow--------i always just thought it was 2.5"----------Downpipe must be one piece and attach to stock elbow in stock fashion (ie with donut and spring loaded bolts, downpipe must route in stock location, no flexpipe--------only question here so far is can it be stainless?------sure but it might ding you in concours??????-------"stock diameter one piece crossover pipe (does not have to neck down on either end)"------like the down pipe i haven't actually measured a crossover pipe but I will do it tonight and put a number to it-------only question so far is can it be stainless???------sure but again that might ding you in concours---------"stock appearing full length cat must be able to pass a 50 state visual inspection"--------doesn't have to work and should not have unused "ports" that make it appear that it is not an original-------should be oval like the original--------"original design or dual mufflers but must function (muffle) and exit in stock location, must be 2.5 inch or less pipes past "Y" connection at cat. No cutouts."-------several questions on this and i am not trying to be difficult with this------stock system has muffler behind rear axle and a dual will normally have two mounted GNX style--------i did not specify size of "Y" pipe or how long it could be---------since Y pipe is nearly 4 inches (oval) and i did not specify if the pipe size was ID or OD------- i will allow any size pipe from the cat to the muffs as long as the single muffler is mounted between the axle and gas tank or duals are mounted either side of the drive shaft-------real issue here is that the exhaust must exit in the stock location behind the rear wheels on both sides of the car--------sure stainless is ok but anything that varies from stock might cost you points in the concours-----------anymore questions?????..........................RC

Would the some what common heater hose flush kit be a no no for sure?
Thanks, Kip

Thanks, Kip

take 10 minutes and remove it.....make your car look stock,while running well....thats the goal.....

Thanks, Kip

come on kip--------i appreciate your interest in this class but you are a veteran so set a good example for the newbees------spend a jillion hours to make a car run fast in this class and leave an ugly thing on like that????-----top of the motor where it is right in your face--------even a cheeevy guy that didn't know a gn from a cutlass would know that wasn't stock-------between you and me we have already spent more time typing posts on this than it would have taken to remove it to begin with------we all know its not gonna make the car faster but i have to put this under the classification of-------- "if you have to ask its not ok"------RC

Richard, I feel you are being a little rough on me in your response. You asked for me to ask questions publicly so other could see what was going on and get a feel for things. Thats all I am doing here is trying to make it clear to what level these cars need to be stock. I want/hope tech goes smoothly and just trying to get some of the issues out of the way ahaead of time.

Just trying to help, Kip

Do you REALLY think that heater hose flush kits needed to be a public topic of discussion? Or that is was going to help tech go smoothly? Or that somehow that was going to help make it more clear on what was stock and what is not? Please......

Richard, I feel you are being a little rough on me in your response. You asked for me to ask questions publicly so other could see what was going on and get a feel for things. Thats all I am doing here is trying to make it clear to what level these cars need to be stock. I want/hope tech goes smoothly and just trying to get some of the issues out of the way ahaead of time.

Just trying to help, Kip

sorry kip-------please accept my apology if one is needed-------i actually thought it was a rather silly question and my response was intended to be rather lighthearted--------i sincerely appreciate your invlovement in this class.................RC

Do you REALLY think that heater hose flush kits needed to be a public topic of discussion? Or that is was going to help tech go smoothly? Or that somehow that was going to help make it more clear on what was stock and what is not? Please......

To answer your questions YES.
Mike are you going to Bowling Green for the Nats this year? Are you running a car in TSA or helping anyone who is?

See ya, Kip

sorry kip-------please accept my apology if one is needed-------i actually thought it was a rather silly question and my response was intended to be rather lighthearted--------i sincerely appreciate your invlovement in this class.................RC

No apology needed. I will be glad to explain why the question was asked when I see you in BG. By the way I do not think asking a question such as this or any other can harm anything.
Take care, Kip

2 ?'s for Rc

Richard,

I know the rules state original gauge cluster, but will an overlay 140 speedo from kirbans be allowed as long as the rest is orig?

How about the mounting of a tranny cooler, rules state mounted gnx style. the cooler on my car is mounted top and center of the radiator with brackets supporting it, is this allowable?

Thanks
Bill