You can type here any text you want

Random Questions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I haven't been able to find the wires, but if one is a 12v and the other is ground, then I can just wire it to the ignition on the fuse box right?

Take your time Charlie, not in a big hurry.

Black is to the knock sensor.
Purple is the main power to the unit from the relay.
Looks like pink is powered from the solinoid initially.

so it has 2 power wires:confused: Maybe I will just get an MSD-BTM:biggrin:

I was having trouble getting the timing right and now I think my new starter just took a shyt on me... I heard a screech and then it stopped spinning the flywheel... now the starter just spins freely. FML:mad:

You still working for AZ Jase? If you are look up one for a 95-96 Corvette and it's a mini starter that will work and it's got a lifetime warrenty.

Yeah, but that`s just another $100= bucks down the toilet... getting fed up with all this non-sense.

What type of flat top pistons should I use if I wanted to do 10.1 - 12.1 compression? I am seriously thinking about doing that with the '79 motor and save my '85 motor for the turbo... easier on the wallet.

Would this work well with 12.1
COMP Cams 69-300-8 - COMP Cams High Energy Camshafts - Overview - SummitRacing.com

well remember we get 30% off next week for 3 days.

As far as the cam, if you're planning on NA then it's a little big. If you're planning on draw through then it marginal. Remember that a roller has a much faster ramp on the lift so a 264 cam will behave more like a 300 with a flat tappet.

A little big for N/A... even with 12.1 comp? What cam would you use then? I want it to be load and obnoxious:biggrin: But not dangerous to the engine. Will any STD flat top pistons work? Alloy or iron? and would .060 be safer with N/A or is it just as dangerous with the higher compression?

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Make/BUICK/Model/REGAL/Year/1979/Bore-in/4-040-in/Quantity/Sold-individually/?keyword=flat+pistons

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Make/BUICK/Model/REGAL/Year/1979/Quantity/Sold-individually/Bore-in/4-030-in/?keyword=flat+pistons

Got money?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-4768101/

I think you're shooting to high on the compression Jase. You want it to be streetable at least. I learned a long time ago that doing it as a combo will work better than piecing together.

So STD bore is the way to go then, that`s 10.1 right? What about this shaving the heads down for more compression I keep hearing about, that`s for 12.1? What about .020? What do you mean by combo?

I am not up to date on this compression stuff... I need some schooling:biggrin: I plan on getting a good DD and using the Regal for the drag strip... that`s why I ask how far can it be pushed, but I don`t want to push it too hard and blow shyt up either. I have 2 motors now and I`m looking for a 3rd so I can do a N/A, DT, BT and then get a GN/Tt for SFI... even a 90`s Regal SCed... there, my plans are all out in the open now:biggrin:

So STD bore is the way to go then, that`s 10.1 right? What about this shaving the heads down for more compression I keep hearing about, that`s for 12.1? What about .020? What do you mean by combo?

I am not up to date on this compression stuff... I need some schooling:biggrin: I plan on getting a good DD and using the Regal for the drag strip... that`s why I ask how far can it be pushed, but I don`t want to push it too hard and blow shyt up either. I have 2 motors now and I`m looking for a 3rd so I can do a N/A, DT, BT and then get a GN/Tt for SFI... even a 90`s Regal SCed... there, my plans are all out in the open now:biggrin:

Well think about it Jase. You need to run on fuel that's readily available. Race gas just doesn't fall from the sky after all.:biggrin: You have to find it and pay for it after all. Pick a reasonable compression ratio and it will live with current fuels you can get. You can get decent quench and flow from the heads and you should be good. A roller that has less than a .500 lift will have a decent idle and work off the line. If you can make 250 HP in NA form think about what you can do in C/T form. Build it for the 10's and run 11's and it will last a long time.:biggrin:

Well think about it Jase. You need to run on fuel that's readily available. Race gas just doesn't fall from the sky after all.:biggrin: You have to find it and pay for it after all. Pick a reasonable compression ratio and it will live with current fuels you can get. You can get decent quench and flow from the heads and you should be good. A roller that has less than a .500 lift will have a decent idle and work off the line. If you can make 250 HP in NA form think about what you can do in C/T form. Build it for the 10's and run 11's and it will last a long time.:biggrin:

Well I was thinking 92/93 with alky. To get 250hp or more with C/T, I would still need to have money. I really want to do the B/T now, but it cost a lot and the money isn't there(like the rest of us:rolleyes:). The D/T is almost ready, just need a BTM($300 or so) and all new exhaust system($300 or so)... that`s almost a grand right there:rolleyes: So the next cheapest is higher compression N/A(pistons $20 or so ea.)... that`s what I was getting at. Money is always the downside:mad:

Well I was thinking 92/93 with alky. To get 250hp or more with C/T, I would still need to have money. I really want to do the B/T now, but it cost a lot and the money isn't there(like the rest of us:rolleyes:). The D/T is almost ready, just need a BTM($300 or so) and all new exhaust system($300 or so)... that`s almost a grand right there:rolleyes: So the next cheapest is higher compression N/A(pistons $20 or so ea.)... that`s what I was getting at. Money is always the downside:mad:

are you looking for buick 350 pistons jase?
Brand New Badger P424 350 Buick Pistons & Pins In Std. - eBay (item 160473518678 end time Dec-24-10 17:05:04 PST)
Buick 350 Engine Pistons and Rods Set.GS,GSX,Skylark - eBay (item 220708162488 end time Jan-06-11 18:21:31 PST)

If you're going blow through then you'll need forged pistons. These engines don't need a very radical cam or super high compression if you plan on going blow through later.

If you're going blow through then you'll need forged pistons. These engines don't need a very radical cam or super high compression if you plan on going blow through later.

This is true, good drop Charlie. Unless your ME and like to run your OEM cast pistons & rings on the very edge of their stability:eek:

This is true, good drop Charlie. Unless your ME and like to run your OEM cast pistons & rings on the very edge of their stability:eek:

a madmann.....:eek::D

In the future maybe ill do something like that, but for now im getting the darn motor running right first. Got a few little tweaks to do currently.

Ok, I like the alloy piston idea... the lighter, the better. Summit has me confused with this mm bore... which is stock?

3.800 in. - 3.8L/231 - 1979 - REGAL - BUICK - SummitRacing.com

Another random one... has anyone ever used or seen a Vortech supercharger on a Buick 3.8/4.1? I seen it on a '98-02 Regal, one of the guys in my car club has one... I thought it was just a normal GS, but it sound louder and way more bad ass than a GS:biggrin: A lot of V6 Mustang guys are using them and I thought about it too, with a B/T carb and Weiand intake... but the SCer is more cash than I ever want to pay... just a thought.

Ok, I like the alloy piston idea... the lighter, the better. Summit has me confused with this mm bore... which is stock?

3.800 in. - 3.8L/231 - 1979 - REGAL - BUICK - SummitRacing.com

Another random one... has anyone ever used or seen a Vortech supercharger on a Buick 3.8/4.1? I seen it on a '98-02 Regal, one of the guys in my car club has one... I thought it was just a normal GS, but it sound louder and way more bad ass than a GS:biggrin: A lot of V6 Mustang guys are using them and I thought about it too, with a B/T carb and Weiand intake... but the SCer is more cash than I ever want to pay... just a thought.

Looks like the stock piston but forged Jase. As far as the super charger I don' know if it would work or not.

Back