Random Questions

Yeah, that`s what I do:biggrin:

I can`t get the oil pump to pump any oil at all... I tried priming it, running it, bought another oil filter, pored oil down the valve covers, took the pump back off and checked it over, changed the spring in it and nothing is happening:mad: Anything else I should check... I can`t check the pickup tube, the exhaust would have to get dropped. I have to get it running, I am in a trailer park now and that are bitching at me about working on it:mad:

Jase, Take the oil pump cover back off and jam the pump cavity and gears with petroleum jelly or grease and then re-install the pump cover and then run the pump with a drill to prime it, the pump should pickup oil and bog almost instantly after that.

Ok, I like the alloy piston idea... the lighter, the better. Summit has me confused with this mm bore... which is stock?

3.800 in. - 3.8L/231 - 1979 - REGAL - BUICK - SummitRacing.com

Another random one... has anyone ever used or seen a Vortech supercharger on a Buick 3.8/4.1? I seen it on a '98-02 Regal, one of the guys in my car club has one... I thought it was just a normal GS, but it sound louder and way more bad ass than a GS:biggrin: A lot of V6 Mustang guys are using them and I thought about it too, with a B/T carb and Weiand intake... but the SCer is more cash than I ever want to pay... just a thought.
3.8 " is the stock bore size. lots of MFG for pistons out there, what ever you can afford.
I have seen a Eaton m90 supercharger on a RWD 3.8 being a drawthru with a 500cfm Edelbrock/afb carb, it was in a Triumph TR7. I posted a video of it once and it got lost.

I bought some petroleum jelly last night and was just about to try that. If that don`t work, I was going to drain the oil and poor it down the valve covers and then try to prim it. I hope I haven`t burned the bearings already:eek:

I bought some petroleum jelly last night and was just about to try that. If that don`t work, I was going to drain the oil and poor it down the valve covers and then try to prim it. I hope I haven`t burned the bearings already:eek:

make sure all the oil passages are open. there are some gaskets out there that block the main oil feed hole. i would check that while you have the cover off.

Jase, Take the oil pump cover back off and jam the pump cavity and gears with petroleum jelly or grease and then re-install the pump cover and then run the pump with a drill to prime it, the pump should pickup oil and bog almost instantly after that.

Done this several times myself. You don't need to take the cover off but you do need to take the filter adapter off and pack the gears with it. This should provide the proper suction to get oil moving into the engine.:smile:

Well, I did that yesterday and much to my surprise... it really worked:eek: I never had this problem before and I have taken the oil pump off many times trying different ways to get better pressure. Still crappy pressure, but at-lest its back to normal:rolleyes:

Well, its running... like shyt:mad: I think the intake gaskets is leaking... I power washed the motor down and around the intake(and the ground:rolleyes:) there is still oil leaking. When I hit the gas, it smokes like a mofo and sputters. I broke a bolt off in the passenger exhaust manifold so now that leaks, the exhaust gasket on the drivers side is leaking... I`m going insane:eek:

Well, its running... like shyt:mad: I think the intake gaskets is leaking... I power washed the motor down and around the intake(and the ground:rolleyes:) there is still oil leaking. When I hit the gas, it smokes like a mofo and sputters. I broke a bolt off in the passenger exhaust manifold so now that leaks, the exhaust gasket on the drivers side is leaking... I`m going insane:eek:

wow, deja vu... i started up my car today and it was smoking like hell just idling. I think that the carby just needs a tune, o yeah it needs the exhaust put back on:D

sorry to hear that jase. i hate when bolts break off!

has anyone tried using vortec v6 parts on any of our turbo engines at all? intakes, heads, valve covers, ect.

I thought about using a 4.3 Vortec engine and turboing it, but if you want to build power with a turbo, you have to upgrade the internals... plus its a lot of tuning.

Can I run E85 with a stock carb and all? I know I would have to replace the paper and possibly the plastic fuel filters too?

Does anyone know if a Buick series 1, 2 or 3 supercharger will fit a Firebird/Camaro 3800?

Can I run E85 with a stock carb and all? I know I would have to replace the paper and possibly the plastic fuel filters too?

Does anyone know if a Buick series 1, 2 or 3 supercharger will fit a Firebird/Camaro 3800?

The carb has to be ritchened up 30% and all rubber replaced with alcohol safe stuff. I havnt found a kit for alcohol Q jets. I have read that a Qjet doesnt flow enough for E85, but the book Rochester Carburetors by Doug Roe outlines a bunch of drilling mods to increase flow.

Upgrade the whole carb for E85 for your best performance, MPG's will be bad. The series 1,2,3 3800 (L67) Eaton supercharger will fit the series 1,2,3 3800 NA (L32) engines, BUT the internals are different from the supercharged L67 and the compression ratio is higher on the L32.

Here's a semi-serious question for you guys: how the heck do you change plugs on these carbed turbo cars?

I bought an 83 T-type yesterday. Motor condition unknown; the car's been sitting a while. I will probably turn it over, put some oil down the cylinders, and see if it will run..

I have to say though, looking at that rat's nest of exhaust plumbing, hoses, and vacuum lines is enough to make me tempted to yank the whole thing out. ;)

Here's a semi-serious question for you guys: how the heck do you change plugs on these carbed turbo cars?

I bought an 83 T-type yesterday. Motor condition unknown; the car's been sitting a while. I will probably turn it over, put some oil down the cylinders, and see if it will run..

I have to say though, looking at that rat's nest of exhaust plumbing, hoses, and vacuum lines is enough to make me tempted to yank the whole thing out. ;)

at least on mine its a pain in the rear to change spark plugs. i always have to pull the down pipe out.