Ratcheting sound from 200-4r transmission

Kawaiikeno

I have an intermittent issue with the daughters 200-4r, it feels like there are a few teeth missing on the ring and pinion.
It only happens after a slow down and take off under lite throttle like when you stop or slow way down when turning into a driveway.
It's only happened with me in the car once so I'm not sure if its on a down shift or up shift and all that's required to make it stop is let off the throttle and start again. Other than this the transmission seems fine.
Transmission is well built non lock up 200-4r with a CK shift improvement kit and a transmission specialties non lock up converter.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Thanks Mike

Teeth missing off the ring and pinion would not be intermittent. You would hear and feel it always. Possibly a spider gear issue. Get the differential serviced and inspected. Heat shield rattle? Or a brake rotor or drum issue.?

Thanks for the reply
I know it's not coming from the ring n pinion gear what i said thats what it feels like when it does it .
Seems like if it were side or spider gears it would do it any time one axle is turning faster than the other and a slight lift of throttle wouldn't stop it. It has a limited slip but since it doesn't seem to make a difference if the car is turning or going straight and only happenes at light throttle I'm not really thinking it's the rearend also the rearend has gone through ring & pinion swap with all new bearings ,it's also not clutch chatter from the rearend.
The transmission has taken a ton of punishment over the years and is ripe for a fresh up we're just trying to get a feel for how soon it going to have to happen.
I've only been in the car once when it has happened and I want to say it happened a few seconds after a light throttle 1-2 shift
Like maybe it can't make up its mind if it wants to stay in 2nd or 1st and bounces back and forth several times
Thanks mike

Sounds more like a 2-3 hunting problem which is common with a lot of builds especially when the direct clutch is dual fed.

I'm going with converter/flexplate/engine thrust issue. Hard to say without being there

Thanks for the replies!
I was thinking it was a issue with the shift and being there is no 1-2 accumulator I guess it's possible it could feel that harsh.
The question I have is how fast do they cycle between 1st and 2nd when they do hunt? As it feels like a jerk jerk jerk until you let off the throttle for a second then it's as if nothing happened, also to my knowledge it's never done it past medium throttle.
If it were a converter/ flex plate/ thrust issue wouldn't it do it more often and be more predictable?
With the car having a 4:10 gear and the speed it happens it seems like it could be a 2-3 shift issue
Thanks Guys keep the ideas coming
Mike

It's most likely a 2-3 "shuttle". The "shuttle" happens pretty rapid when it occurs. It would help if we knew exactly what mods where done to the transmission. Is the direct clutch dual fed?

550 & 400 boost valves
13 vane pump
7 pack direct clutch
5 pack forward
3pack OD
Roller bearing front pump
Roller bearing forward clutch drum
Forward drum with rewelded splines
I believe it is dual fed ( not sure)
Superior servo
Grand national valve body
With CK performance 24rsrk/a with all high performance mods
Transmission specialties 200-2400 flashes to around 2600rpm
Transmission pressure has dropped in recent years
To 80psi idle all gears
At 2000rpm all gears hold just above 200psi
Had a 50-75 psi drop after install of shift impprovement kit install but have not noticed any flare or slippage ( will still bark the tires to 3rd gear at will)
Thanks for the help
Mike

550 & 400 boost valves
13 vane pump
7 pack direct clutch
5 pack forward
3pack OD
Roller bearing front pump
Roller bearing forward clutch drum
Forward drum with rewelded splines
I believe it is dual fed ( not sure)
Superior servo
Grand national valve body
With CK performance 24rsrk/a with all high performance mods
Transmission specialties 200-2400 flashes to around 2600rpm
Transmission pressure has dropped in recent years
To 80psi idle all gears
At 2000rpm all gears hold just above 200psi
Had a 50-75 psi drop after install of shift impprovement kit install but have not noticed any flare or slippage ( will still bark the tires to 3rd gear at will)
Thanks for the help
Mike
If you are sure it's in the unit drop the pan look for debris maybe needle bearings? On another not that 12 vein rotor is a pump failure waiting to happen.

[QUOTE
Mike[/QUOTE]
??? Why the install of a "shift improvement" kit??? Did this problem start after the shift kit install?

Shift kit as we'll call it from now on was installed to try and tone down the brutal shifts,it gets old real fast having a transmission that will not shift into second without chirping the tires no matter the amount of throttle. As much as I like the idea of an overdrive transmission that would take 400fp day in and day out the brutal shifts had to go. The original Valve body had been modified several times in attempts tone down the shifts. So I started with an unmolested GN valve body and installed CK kit that promised progressive harder shifts as throttle was increased. ( An it has delivered as advertised)
I'm not blameing the CK kit for the pressure loss as I didn't do a pressure test right before changing the pump parts.
As for the new issue it didn't start right away.
Planed upgrades include a major HP increase and a Th400 that is already built .
Just trying to figure out how long we have until the 200-4r fails
Thanks mike
Ps. I have followed this forum ever since we put the 200-4r in the car and value greatly everyones advice.

Banging shifts on 1-2 besure the center check ball is in the valvebody, and 1/2 accumlator is not blocked. That will tone them down. 3-4 soften the accumlator spring and reduce plate size. 2-3 usually needs to be firmed up.