Razor's Alky install Pics/suggestions

03FatBoy

I am looking for some pictures and suggestions of where to mount the controller in the car. I prefer a fairly stock looking interior, and intend on keeping it that way. I have an Autometer boost gauge on the pillar, and a Scanmaster on top of the radio/HVAC control "console". Has anyone ever disassembled this boost/Vacuum gauge? I thought about mounting the turn-on LED inside the gauge if there is room. I thought that would really make a nice clean installation if it would work!
I have seen many controllers wedged between the instrument panel and the heater/radio panels, but I do not want to distort the plastic or foam. I thought about inside the ashtray area, in the console, or building a bracket to mount it on the side of the console itself. I do not want to permanently damage anything.
I am still new to the TR's, so don't know the advantages/disadvantages to mounting locations.

mount the controller to left inside of glove box, once you get it set you never have to mess with it. I set mine between pos 6-7 and haven't touched it since.

Mounting the controller in the ashtray would be a good idea. Only thing is the cord isn't real long so you might have to mount the PAC inside the console somewhere.

Maybe we could get Mark at TR custom parts to make an ashtray mounting plate like the one for the rocker switches, but instead for the controller.

As for the turn on LED, I drilled a hole in my gauge pod and mounted it in there, next to the boost gauge. Although another cool spot I think would be next to the factory boost gauge on the dash.

Controllers have a Cat5 cable so extending is not an issue with current versions.

Glove box is a simple deal. I just put them on the dash between the radio and instrument cluster as it doesnt require any holes to be drilled and is easy to use the test button.

You can take that box apart, all thats inside is a potentiometer, LED, and pushbutton switch. The box is hollow. You can even if creative take the box apart and shave it down if you feel its fitment is too tight.

HTH

I mounted mine in the normal location just to the left of the radio and inbetween the dash pad. Makes for a real simple place to test the system when needed rather than pop open your glove box and reaching over. Plus I don`t think that wedging it in that location will harm anything. I installed the PAC in my glove box with some double sided tape. Looks really cool, easy to get to and was simple.

If I knew how to post pics I`d show it...

Mounting the controller in the ashtray would be a good idea. Only thing is the cord isn't real long so you might have to mount the PAC inside the console somewhere.

Maybe we could get Mark at TR custom parts to make an ashtray mounting plate like the one for the rocker switches, but instead for the controller.

As for the turn on LED, I drilled a hole in my gauge pod and mounted it in there, next to the boost gauge. Although another cool spot I think would be next to the factory boost gauge on the dash.

Any luck with this? I am thinking if doing this to a car. The alky knob is on the tall side so I was curious to see what others have done.

Any luck with this? I am thinking if doing this to a car. The alky knob is on the tall side so I was curious to see what others have done.

No I never did follow thru with this. Knob is too tall, would have to custom make a recess.

Take it apart and place the components in the lower right hand panel on the instrument/outer dash panel applique

You can cut the knob down, and cut the shaft down. I dont know if it will be enough clearance. Then we have the issue with the test button.. I dont think that having somewhere where it can be pushed down under a cover would be a good idea.

I think I'm going to put the whole box in the ashtray. I will need to know what kind of cable it is to get it extended to reach. It will be recessed to prevent the test button being pushed. He wants it hid.