You can type here any text you want

Rear coil spring (1" to 1.5" thick) spacer question...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

toofastforyou

2FAST4U
Which kind of rubber or maybe aluminium spacer (or a thick isolator) could be used on TOP of the rear coil springs to raise the REAR of the car a little without altering the car's handling and ride characteristics?... I've checked Summit, but I find it confusing to choose the correct ones for a GN... I'm looking for something that could be "sandwiched" between the frame and TOP of the spring, maybe 1" -1.5" thick, with only one groove on one side so it could sit flat against the frame. And last, what would be the correct diameter needed for the rear stock springs?

thanks,

Claude. :)

P.S: Here's what I found on Summit's site: Coil Spring Spacers - SummitRacing.com

Just did this on Sat. My right dr was gettting cut with the car being lowered and music in the truck.
I used the ones that you twist in between the spring from Autozone 12.99.Two on each spring opposite each other toward the top. Worked out great. Gave me a little over 1" and improved my ride alot.

The rubber ones are much better-the twist in ones can come loose and be lost on the highway.

After a few e-mails, "49-blues" decided he won't ship them to Canada :rolleyes:...So is there anyone else who has some of these spacers they want to get rid of?...

Thanks,

Claude. :wink:

Couldnt you get a set of bags and air them up?

I had some air bags but removed them when I went to a full H&R rear suspension setup (upper and lower lca's + sway bar). The problem with air bags is that when you go to the track, even if they're completely deflated (0 psi.), there's still some air in them and they can alter they way the car launches when the rear suspension squats, unless you remove the spring valve in them. I'd prefer to get some spacers because they don't require any maintenance and will raise the car without affecting the way the suspension reacts, and you don't have to inflate or deflate them.

Thank you,

Claude. ;)

What are you trying to do? Just raise the car? Why not just change your springs?

What are you trying to do? Just raise the car? Why not just change your springs?
My car sits a little low in the rear for my taste and I thought that just adding spacers about 1.25" would correct this, without having to replace the springs themselves...Also, keeping the same springs would ensure that the handling, ride and launching at the track characteristics would remain the same.

Claude.:redface:

My car sits a little low in the rear for my taste and I thought that just adding spacers about 1.25" would correct this, without having to replace the springs themselves...Also, keeping the same springs would ensure that the handling, ride and launching at the track characteristics would remain the same.

Claude.:redface:

If it were me, I'd change the springs before I put spacers in there. First of all, spacers arent exactly safe either way you cut it, your always safer without them. Secondly, ride conditions will still change becuase you'll be changing the center of gravity either way. I'd try this coil spring from AutoZone (part #RCS5379S ). It's a progressive spring so it's not going to effect your 60' times and will give you a good spring rate for the track. It's also sits higher than a lowering spring but not jacked up like the cargo springs. There's a lot of guys that I've had try these springs and they are all happy with them. You cant beat the price of $45.99 either.

"jdpolzin", thanks for your advice!...I might just do that...However, there are no "AutoZone" stores near where I live, but I might have to come down to the US soon, so I'll note the part number you gave me and maybe I'll buy some.

thanks again,

Claude. :wink:

Back