You can type here any text you want

Rear main seal installation

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

williambavila

William Avila (The Buick Guy)
rear main seal..jpg
rear main seal.jpg
Which picture is correct? It has been a while and I cannot find my manual. The damn directions on the box are not very clear.both pics are taken from the rear of engine where flywheel would be.I feel like a real dumb ass for asking.lol

100_0751.JPG
Bottom picture.

Also, offset it a bit.
Notice in my picture how near the bottom of the picture the seal is up out of the channel, and on the upper side it's down in the channel. (hard to explain).

View attachment 158961 Bottom picture.

Also, offset it a bit.
Notice in my picture how near the bottom of the picture the seal is up out of the channel, and on the upper side it's down in the channel. (hard to explain).
Yes I know to stagger the seal I just forgot which way it goes. Thanks. what about arp main studd torque?

95 Ft Lbs with ARP moly lube, 130 with motor oil, or 110 with ARP Ultra Lube. Use the same lube and torque that was used to line hone the bearing bores.

Installed the rear main seal and using oil on threads so 130ft lbs on the torque

Lip always goes to the oil pressure side...ask me how I know:0)

Where did you get 130 ft/lbs??? It's 100 ft/lbs
Arp says 120#'s using oil on the threads of there studs.I am using there studs at 130 with oil. I am using there rod bolts with oil at 55#'s. Just a quick note that ARP has a tech line for anyone in this situation. I was unsure so I called It is best to do it right the first time than be like me and try it twice then do it right.lol 3rd engine in this car :eek:

I also had a question on a timing cover. I bought a new one and new oil pump and was told to machine the hole in the cover. I am assuming it is the hole running up the cover about 5-6"s then 1"out/in however you look at it. Here are some photos of mine
oil hole.jpg
oil hole..jpg

What brand is that timing cover?

Don't mean to thread jack , but why dose it need to be offset a bit? Also picture #2 is correct right?

Don't mean to thread jack , but why dose it need to be offset a bit? Also picture #2 is correct right?
The seals your talking about yes picture 2 is correct and they offset them to keep the ends from seaping oil. always offset a rearmain seal or 2 piece seal.

The seals your talking about yes picture 2 is correct and they offset them to keep the ends from seaping oil. always offset a rearmain seal or 2 piece seal.
Am i going to have an issue because i didnt offset mine? Im in the process of doin the rear main and head gaskets

Am i going to have an issue because i didnt offset mine? Im in the process of doin the rear main and head gaskets
You should not have a issue. If your not to far into it you can take it back out and put another one in there but I have installed several that way. Its like asking what oil to run?? you will get a million answers.

Back