Rear sway bar

P/N confirmed. They want $290 up here. :eek:

Well I got it for $229 shipped to my house via USPS. It'll be another $30 at the door in taxes... which is still $30 cheaper than buying it locally and driving 4hrs round trip to pick it up.

I need to move to the States. :rolleyes:

Hellwig installed

I got the Hellwig from Auto Accessory Garage (listed for Skylark)

I had to trim the threaded portion of the end links about 2" and I needed to trim the axle mounting pads (one corner on each pad) to clear my Hooker exhaust.

I really like this bar, handles great and I got a 1.60 ft off the footbrake with a 3lb launch, nice and straight.

Mike

Attachments

• 100_0613.jpg
    100_0613.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 709
  • 100_0614.jpg
    100_0614.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 697
  • 100_0615.jpg
    100_0615.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 695
  • 100_0616.jpg
    100_0616.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 688
  • 100_0617.jpg
    100_0617.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 684
You probably could have added an inch or two of flat stock under the bushings given how long the u-bolts are and saved some cutting.

I am certain ride height is going to have an effect on the install and modifications.

I got the Hellwig from Auto Accessory Garage (listed for Skylark)

I had to trim the threaded portion of the end links about 2" and I needed to trim the axle mounting pads (one corner on each pad) to clear my Hooker exhaust.

I really like this bar, handles great and I got a 1.60 ft off the footbrake with a 3lb launch, nice and straight.

Mike

Mike, are you sure you ordered the correct P/N??? The Skylark bars are P/N 55868 and the GBody P/N is 55809. You shouldnt have had to cut anything to install it. -----Jeremy

Mike, are you sure you ordered the correct P/N??? The Skylark bars are P/N 55868 and the GBody P/N is 55809. You shouldnt have had to cut anything to install it. -----Jeremy

Yeah, I should have clarified, Auto Accessories Garage has p/n 55809 listed as 1987 Skylark (which isn't even rear wheel drive). I just called and ordered by p/n.

Here was my issue and maybe I received the wrong end links. With the threaded half screwed all the way into the barrel end, the overall end link length was about 6". This points the end of the bar downward. What happened in my case was when the suspension tried to cycle upward (like when hitting a bump) the bar ends would rotate downward until the hump in the middle of the bar would contact the diff. cover. When this happens the rear cannot cycle upwards any further and it was bounce, bounce, bounce.

In order for me to have the full suspension cycle range the bar needed to be mounted so that the bar ends were parallel to the ground. So the end links needed to be about 4" eye to eye length. I had to cut off 2" on the threaded half (which took about 5 mins with a cutoff wheel, no big deal).

Maybe I got the wrong end links in my box??? Looking at pictures of the DSE and Hotchkiss setups the end links appear to be about 4" too.

If Mr. T is lowered much, I'm not sure he'll be able to use these links (unless he shims the bushing mount) because at 4" the barrel and lock nut are at the end of the threads.

If anyone is considering purchasing this bar Auto Accessories Garage sent me a one-time coupon code for 10% off 1x0b-xykk-5gzu

Mike

seems like for the price you cannot really go wrong (well maybe you can, but I'm gonna push my luck). I may very well order one today...

OK, yeah they must have sent you the wrong end links. With my threads screwed all the way in, I'm at 4.25" center to center.

Edit, I did however measure the overall length at 5.5" end to end. How much is your car lowered in the rear?

Attachments

• P3160027.jpg
    P3160027.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 750
Yeah, I should have clarified, Auto Accessories Garage has p/n 55809 listed as 1987 Skylark (which isn't even rear wheel drive). I just called and ordered by p/n.

Here was my issue and maybe I received the wrong end links. With the threaded half screwed all the way into the barrel end, the overall end link length was about 6". This points the end of the bar downward. What happened in my case was when the suspension tried to cycle upward (like when hitting a bump) the bar ends would rotate downward until the hump in the middle of the bar would contact the diff. cover. When this happens the rear cannot cycle upwards any further and it was bounce, bounce, bounce.

In order for me to have the full suspension cycle range the bar needed to be mounted so that the bar ends were parallel to the ground. So the end links needed to be about 4" eye to eye length. I had to cut off 2" on the threaded half (which took about 5 mins with a cutoff wheel, no big deal).

Maybe I got the wrong end links in my box??? Looking at pictures of the DSE and Hotchkiss setups the end links appear to be about 4" too.

If Mr. T is lowered much, I'm not sure he'll be able to use these links (unless he shims the bushing mount) because at 4" the barrel and lock nut are at the end of the threads.

If anyone is considering purchasing this bar Auto Accessories Garage sent me a one-time coupon code for 10% off 1x0b-xykk-5gzu

Mike

Mike, after looking at your pics a little better, I would say you did have the right endlinks. I noticed you have no thread showing on yours and with mine threaded in all the way, I have about 5/8" of thread above the jam nut. I'm about 1.5" lowered in the rear so I'm going to guess I'll be doing some trimming as well. I can see where at stock ride height, these lengths will work fine but with a lowered set up, some trimming is going to be necessary.

I have a car in the garage with a Hotchkis set up and the endlinks are roughly 1/2" shorter than these are. I'm almost thinking the Hotckis ones would be too short on a stock height car. Maybe it's a good thing these from the Hellwig bar are longer so people can fine tune their bars for their particular car. ---------Jeremy

I bought this one from Applied Techknowledgies an Research back in the 90's..Still works great! its 28mm,bolts to factory location

PHOTO_13316887_6696_7585054_ap.jpg

Mike

Would anyone be highly offended if I used the coupon code here? after reading everything you guys are saying about this, I have no doubts it will work just fine for my car.

It sure is nice to have honest guys around here sharing experiences.

Would anyone be highly offended if I used the coupon code here? after reading everything you guys are saying about this, I have no doubts it will work just fine for my car.

It sure is nice to have honest guys around here sharing experiences.

Jump on it brother!:D

Do it Double D :cool:

The tweaks were very minor.

Jeremy, keep in mind that the pictures show the end links after I cut them down. Prior to that I had about 2 5/16" of threads showing when screwed all the way in.

I have a set of moogs on the back not sure of the p/n or ride height.

To use your term I am at 4" center to center.

I agree, sending long ends allows each install to be custom matched to ride height, and it doesn't take much effort to cut them down.

Good stuff.

Mike

DONE! interesting they are right here in chicago. Thanks for the coupon code!

now for my end of the bargain. next person gets my one time 10% off offer!

1x0b-c11s-xpqf

I will share my experiences once it arrives and I get it installed.

Thanks!

-Dennis